PS3 Price Drop Confirmed

Options

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2007
    Options
    80GB PlayStation 3 to Have Limited Backward Compatibility

so it won't have all of the functionality of the 60GB model.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I'll probable be using the money-back-check's from my Amazon CC to get one soon. I don't think I'd buy one if I had to shell out $500 from my bank account but business travel is paying this one. :)
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Same compatibility as the euro version. Which means it plays pretty much all the popular titles via software instead of hardware (something over 2000 titles now). With new titles being added with each firmware update. But if you're concerned, just get yourself a 60 gig that's $100 cheaper and drop a 120 gig drive in there for $69. Early adopters basically got the hardware for the ps2 included for free. Can't expect them to keep it in there if software can now do almost the same job.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I stand corrected, I went upstairs to try out Reanimation and got no sound since my player is not setup for DVD-A. I tried using the different audio stream and still got no sound.

Then I went into my Pios menu and realized it was set to play only the DVD-A track. Normally not an issue because most discs you can select the DD or DTS track. Apparently this did the trick and now it works fine.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Phantom,

Nice marketing statement by Sony to add a sense of urgency to rush the special deals by amazon and walmart (both offering free blu-ray remotes and movies for the discounted price). But I don't think they're gonna sell out of the close to 6 million consoles sony shipped by march plus whatever they've manufactured since then in one month. If they do, it's really bad news for the 360 as they've only sold some 10 million total to end users at this point.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

I'd expect the console to eventually move the remaining stock through Christmas. And if they sell out before then, sony has another option to do a 'price cut' on the 80 gig for the holidays. Like I said above, I think keeping the 60 gig around is a mistake so I'm all for eliminating another sku. I'd hope microsoft would start eliminating skus too as developers always develop for the lowest common denominator. And right now that means writing games for the core without a hard drive.
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Too bad none of the free BR movies appeal to me. Plus the free movie offer is valid until 9/30 and it's not a price-drop bundle at all, it includes bunch of eligible BR players: http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/bd_summer_bundle-online_order_form.pdf

I'll wait until my Amazon money back gets close to purchasing price, I'm not falling for this one.
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Yeah, and walmart just dropped the price of the s300 to $488 too. But at amazon you still get the free remote and an additional free blu-ray on top of the regular 5 free. The extra free disk is currently resident evil. Used to be momento.

Edit: Looks like you get Gridiron Gang and Open Season as extra disks free over the original five at walmart too. Looks like you can pick $488 and 7 free disks at walmart or $499, a game machine, a free remote, and 6 free disks at amazon. They sound like good promotions to me, even if you don't like every movie offered free.
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    Yeah, and walmart just dropped the price of the s300 to $488 too. But at amazon you still get the free remote and an additional free blu-ray on top of the regular 5 free. The extra free disk is currently resident evil. Used to be momento.

Edit: Looks like you get Gridiron Gang and Open Season as extra disks free over the original five at walmart too. Looks like you can pick $488 and 7 free disks at walmart or $499, a game machine, a free remote, and 6 free disks at amazon. They sound like good promotions to me, even if you don't like every movie offered free.

Walmart seems to offer the $499 with a remote as well. I don't see their $488 offer, is that online? My brother-in-laws discount is 10% I believe but then you'd have to pay sales tax so it's a wash.
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I'm looking at it right now on their website. s300 in stock. The 5 movie rebate, the two additional free movies. And the price is $488.
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Oh ok, I thought you were talking about PS3. I don't have any interest in standalone BR player at this price point. For those I'll wait at least sub-$200's.
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Sorry, should have been clearer. If you're interested in the ps3, yes, the free remote deal is at walmart too as I indicated in my original post. But like you said, there's tax, and you don't get resident evil like at amazon.
  • PhantomOG
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Why would someone buy a stand alone BR player for $488 when you can purchase a PS3 for $499?

Do the stand alone players have features the PS3 does not?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    Options
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Why would someone buy a stand alone BR player for $488 when you can purchase a PS3 for $499?

They same reason people still bought nice standard DVD players even when they owned a PS2.
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Well, to be fair, the ps3 is a much better blu-ray player than the ps2 was a dvd player. And with all these firmware updates giving it things like upscaling and maybe even dts-ma decoding, it represents a far greater player value, imo.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an s300 over a ps3. Beyond the stigma of being a 'game machine," the ps3 does dolby trueHD decoding. It does lack analog outs, but that's the only real drawback in comparison to even the latest high end players. But for some reason, there are still a lot of people that just feel more comfortable with a dedicated player. It's their coin, so if they like the s300 better, more power to them...it's really sold well from all indications so far. It was beating out the sales rankings of the a20 and xa2 before it sold out on amazon.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited July 2007
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, the ps3 is a much better blu-ray player than the ps2 was a dvd player. And with all these firmware updates giving it things like upscaling and maybe even dts-ma decoding, it represents a far greater player value, imo.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an s300 over a ps3. Beyond the stigma of being a 'game machine," the ps3 does dolby trueHD decoding. It does lack analog outs, but that's the only real drawback in comparison to even the latest high end players. But for some reason, there are still a lot of people that just feel more comfortable with a dedicated player. It's their coin, so if they like the s300 better, more power to them...it's really sold well from all indications so far. It was beating out the sales rankings of the a20 and xa2 before it sold out on amazon.

gotta agree with you on that one...From what I've heard, the PS3 is an outstanding blu-ray player..and I don't own one...I have the 360..

The PS2 was a bare-bones DVD player that came out years after DVD was already popular
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • PhantomOG
    edited July 2007
    Options
    PolkThug wrote: »
    They same reason people still bought nice standard DVD players even when they owned a PS2.

I assume that people bought nice standard dvd players as opposed to the PS2 because the PS2 was a pretty crappy dvd player by comparison. Is the same true for the PS3?
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    As already stated, the ps3 is a top tier blu-ray player in everything except the availability of analog outs. PQ and AQ is outstanding. TrueHD, uncompressed PCM for lossless sound options. Full 1080p capability and pcm audio via hdmi. Upconversion of standard dvds to 1080p. 24 frames per second native movie cadence. Deep color support for new displays. Flawless support for java interactive features like those on the new pirates blu-rays. Wireless ethernet connectivity...the list goes on and matches or exceeds HIGH END players feature for feature, not just low end players like the s300 and a2...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Gaara wrote: »
    CD, DVD, SACD. To my knowledge Sony has never made a player of any kind that supports DVD-A.

So this all didn’t make sense to me. Something wasn’t right. So I threw my Foreigner and Metallica DVD-A's (marked DVD-A) into my playstation 3 and its playing them perfectly. My Onkyo is even playing them in THXSurround-EX and I can hear clear channel separation (connected by ac3).

Sounds like it plays DVD-A's to me or am I missing something?

I can confirm that my older "DTS 5.1 channel CD's DO NOT wrok in it)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Silverti wrote: »
    So this all didn’t make sense to me. Something wasn’t right. So I threw my Foreigner and Metallica DVD-A's (marked DVD-A) into my playstation 3 and its playing them perfectly. My Onkyo is even playing them in THXSurround-EX and I can hear clear channel separation (connected by ac3).

Sounds like it plays DVD-A's to me or am I missing something?

I can confirm that my older "DTS 5.1 channel CD's DO NOT wrok in it)

Once again as i explained earlier in the tread. They have Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes on them and they sound very good. I think they can also play hi-rez 2 channel also. What is great about Onkyo receivers is that they have awesome DSP's that kick a$$ in "surround sound". The THX DSP's on my new Onkyo 805 are freaking amazing. THX has been working with Onk for the last two years to perfect the new ones.
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I just ordered myself a PS3 at amazon... can't pass up the price drop plus 6 BluRay movies and a remote!
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    lanion wrote: »
    I just ordered myself a PS3 at amazon... can't pass up the price drop plus 6 BluRay movies and a remote!
    Congrats, welcome to the darkside. Muuuu haaa hhuhhh!;)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I joined the Blu-Ray camp on Saturday.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2007
    Options
    what did you get, Mark?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I picked up a PS3 for the bedroom and plan to get a more formal player for the HT later. We ordered a couple movies and when I move my FIOS to component, I'll use the HDMI for the PS3. I mistakenly thought I had 2 HDMI inputs on the TV....oh well.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2007
    Options
    impressed so far? There is a new panasonic BR player that just came out.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I picked up a PS3 for the bedroom and plan to get a more formal player for the HT later. We ordered a couple movies and when I move my FIOS to component, I'll use the HDMI for the PS3. I mistakenly thought I had 2 HDMI inputs on the TV....oh well.

Grab an HDMI switcher.

Such as this. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=2777&seq=1&format=2&style=
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Welcome to the darkside Mark. I have a HDMI switcher that i am going to sell today. PM me if interested.

http://http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=64674
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    lanion wrote: »

Looks like you got it just in time. I can't find the extra remote/+1 disk deal any more as I think they sold out of both remotes and the resident evil blu-ray disk. The ps3 is still selling at #1 though...
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Does PS3 have any decent wheel/pedal combo available? As games go, my only interest is sports and racing, new Gran Turismo would be sweet. FPS's are much better on PC so I'll leave those alone but I need a decent wheel for racing and I heard none of the PS2 hardware works on PS3.