And Then it happened

13»

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    some inwalls sound almost as good as floor/bookshelves
    I'm not a fan of inwalls
    don't care for inwalls for music listening unless for background music.

I guess I was just taking your word for it.:lol:
    Make it Funky! :)
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited November 2002
    Hey Mantis can you do a shoot out of say the current models of these two groups. These are similar list price receivers. Most of us in here can afford one of these receivers.

Group 1:
    the Denon 3802, the Onkyo 797 and the Marantz 8200?

Group 2:
    the Denon 2802, Marantz 7200 and the Onkyo 696?

This would be very helpful to most of us.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2002
    I second that,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VE6OHV
    VE6OHV Posts: 119
    edited November 2002
    Read up on the Denon 2802 and the 1803, very close match and for quite a bit less money. I just picked up an 1803 and I am quite pleased.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited November 2002
    VE6OHV,

From an old mud slinger, I'd go with the truck mods.

F1nut
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Hey Mantis can you do a shoot out of say the current models of these two groups. These are similar list price receivers. Most of us in here can afford one of these receivers

Well........not head to head.But I can give you some of my feeling towards these receivers.

I'll start here...
    the Denon 3802, the Onkyo 797 and the Marantz 8200?
    They all have there strengths and weakness.This battle would come down to personal taste,features and such.I have listened to all 3 at one point or another.Marantz wins for pure sound quality.I really like the way they sound.Nicely built and loaded with features.Worth every penny.
    Denon avr3802.....probably the best all around receiver for 1200.00 or less.It only lacks in digital inputs.3 optical and one coax.......But 7.1 built in powered second zone with surround amps reassigned,all todays formats,and It mates extremely well with Polk rt series speakers.Nice.....
    Now for last place.......Onkyo...I feel like this,if your going to get into Onkyo,it pays to consider there upper end receivers in the Integra.Better amps,better DAC's better built quality and better sound.Also nice but it's bright.To me I find Integra/Onkyo products to stress high's......like Yamaha does.I don't care for them.

Group 2 you can relate my group one.Lower level but same lineup.

I think all of you should do some shootouts.There alot of fun and you get to know the charastic's of different companies.It's cool.

Marantz,Denon then Integra/Onkyo in that order.

At these price points,It also pays to consider a Rotel rsx1055.Super cool **** receiver that sounds better by far then the above.It's rated at 70x5 but thats Rotel power.....so it will smoke just about every single 100 watt rated receiver on the market.I personally had to buy in that price range, it would be my first choice.Check it out and tell me how and what you feel/think.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.