And Then it happened

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    I'd like to apologize to the forum at large for my tirade last night. I was in a fairly pissy mood so it just sort of went downhill.

I would also like to apologize if it seemed that I was hacking on anyone who has or would like to have a 3 grand receiver. I simply reject the notion that any receiver is the end all / be all. I also believe that at that price, you could seriously look at getting into separates.

I make no apologies about the content of my tirade, only that I DID vent, as I know that it can be a drag for everyone else to sift through an electronic pissing match.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    HBomb,

For some MYSTERIOUS reason, my work cell phone (after hours electronic leash) has intermittent periods where I am not able to get coverage. <wink> <wink>

I actually like it that way, don't try to fix it. ;)

BDT
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited November 2002
    Its a Charleston cell phone thing. I had service from 4 different providers and still have the same intermittent service problems
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD
    A wise man once said: 'stupid is as stupid does'.

BDT

And another GREAT MAN has said

"Theres a snake in my Boot!"

Its funny BDT my portable does the same thing but I think it specific to a caller id thingy.... not much to analyze there.

:lol:

No apologies necessary.

but for what its worth, " I forgive you my Son.:)"
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited November 2002
    AMPS and RECEIVERS suck ballbags. They are not meant to be together and it doesn't work.
    Seems to be working fine. If fact it sounds better, better then the Marantz running solo. May not be the ideal set-up, but adding the Adcom's to the Marantz is an improvement. I will get a pre-amp some day, but for now, it sounds great and works perfectly.

Explain what you mean by, "it doesn't work"?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Ron good luck getting any sort of real answers from liv4fam. I asked him several questions in his last "receivers and amps" thread and I have yet to get any sort of response.

Hey liv4fam can you man up and back up these claims? Help us understand why these things 'suck ballbags?'

Still got tha mcintosh gear in your rack and un-plugged? :lol:
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by Ron-P

Explain what you mean by, "it doesn't work"?

I'll jump on the wagon here as well.

Explain how an h/k 520 used as pre/pro and an Outlaw 7 Channel Amp does not work. :confused:

I guess my Cal Labs CL-20 is a big POS also?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    I'm looking forward to his response.

But, my gut feeling tells me we are going to hear stuff that resembles a 3 month old after a big nursing. Burp-Up from one end and the **** out of the other. We'll see.

If...
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited November 2002
    Alright Ron,

I don't know what I am talking about huh? Let me see where to start?

First of all.........Marantz huh? Nice receiver what do you have the SR-14EX? SR18EX? or maybe the 6200 or 9200?
    I like the way the Marantz's sound why would you or better yet why did you make the decision to buy and Adcom and put it with it?
    Was there something wrong with the amps inside the Marantz?

My whole point with the Amp and receiver thing is (and I have said many times before) why are you buying amplifiers and mating them with receivers?

Personally since I bought my B&K I am sitting here wondering why would I consider putting a Carver 5-channel on my 307.
    If I wanted my rig to sound like a crap Carver I would have bought the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. If I wanted it to sound like an Adcom I would of bought Adcom preamp/amp combo.

Are you starting to see the logic?

All of you are buying receivers that you don't like and are trying to compensate for the sound by adding different amplifiers.

And as far as "it doesn't work" that was a figure of speech and naturally it will work DUH!! but it is not right nor recommended by anyone that knows A/V.............

Simply put a receiver is exactly that an all-in-one box that has everything no accessories required. A receiver lacks the ability to sound like seperates because they tend to generate a lot of internal noise from having video inputs, tuners, shared power supply, RF inputs, phono stage...............Why would you want to pump all that noise into a decent amplifier.

I wouldn't it's absolutely Ludicrus and a big waste of money.

Also let's talk about how all of you think that installers are full of crap and we don't know anything and all of you can do our job and we are retards.

Well let's be honest I have seen all your stuff in System Showcases and WOW I would be embarressed if that was me.
    I do like the rear wires going up the wall to the speakers and from under the gear cabinets, speakers sitting on top of subwoofers.

You guys have some really top notch installs but hey any idiot can do it right?
    :lol:
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    So basically, your position is that an amp in a receiver is the same as a power amp?

If it's such a bad idea, why do receivers have preouts? Why do companies, such as Denon and Outlaw, produce amps specifically for the purpose of being hooked up to the receivers?

Ok, now, let's get down to the pre/pro thing. I'd agree that in a perfect world we would all have them. However, outside of your fantasy world the rest of us live on budgets so we upgrade on a step by step level. Of course you wouldn't know about that, you are used to dealing with gear that other folks have paid for.

As far as other folks rigs go, the only thing that is embarrassing is your lack of respect for anything. Rather than try and be helpful, you choose to be a complete moron. Why not do us all a huge favor and go bless another forum with your expertise?

BDT
  • Ron-P
    edited November 2002
    First of all.........Marantz huh? Nice receiver what do you have
    SR5000, Best I could get for my budget. Beautiful receiver. Love it, but love the sound of the Adcom's much more. Even running the Adcom's through the 5000 sounds better then the 5000 on it's own. With only 60wpc, the Adcoms can easily best the 75wpc on the Marantz in overall loudness, crispness and mid-bass punch.
    My whole point with the Amp and receiver thing is (and I have said many times before) why are you buying amplifiers and mating them with receivers?
    Because, it's the next logical step on the upgrade path that many of us must do over long periods of time. I'd buy a preamp right now, but my wife and daughter come first as does the morgage. What I have left over goes for hobby, which is spread over more areas than just HT. That is why I added the Adcom's to the 5000.
    All of you are buying receivers that you don't like and are trying to compensate for the sound by adding different amplifiers.
    Not true at all. Like I said, love the sound of the Marantz, bought it way before I knew about separates.
    Simply put a receiver is exactly that an all-in-one box that has everything no accessories required. A receiver lacks the ability to sound like seperates because they tend to generate a lot of internal noise from having video inputs, tuners, shared power supply, RF inputs, phono stage...............Why would you want to pump all that noise into a decent amplifier.
    I agree with you hear. But, like I said above, I'm in the middle of the upgrade path and will eventually land a preamp, until then, the Marantz and Adcoms do very well.

If...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Troy,
    I know you said your peace about the 3 thousand dollar receiver class.But,
    A wise man once said: 'stupid is as stupid does'

What does this mean?:confused:

Have you ever done a receiver shootout?Or compared high end receivers to seperates?What do you base this comment on?:confused:

As you already know,I'm building what I feel is going to be the Ultimate Theater,Multichannel audio,2 channel room of my life.I started this thead because I wanted to talk about making the right choices.I'm seriously considering the B&K avr507 for alot of reasons.I Don't wanna give up ANY sound quality for features or space savings.

I demo'd the Sunfire Ultimate receiver against the Kenwood vr5900,the Integra DTR8.2,Denon Avr5803 and the Rotel srp1066 preamp,RMB1076 amp......and l;astly Sunfire Grand Home theater seperates.The Rotel sounded the best folloed by the Carver seperates, then the Sunfire receiver was real close to the Denon avr5803,the Integra outclassed the Kenwood and the Kenwood sound horrible in compare to the rest of the gear.
    B&K wasn't in the store which I wish it was.But after the shootout I conducted,B&K has re earned my deepest respect.
    I'm sole searching for my next HT pre/amp or receiver.I want to do it right this time.I have owned to many different things in the past and have been unhappy one way or another.

So making comments like the one above ,3 thousand dollar receiver's Pffffffffffffft .......is uncalled for.I read your peace but I wanna know from you 2 me.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Dan, the quote was a rather sarcastic jab at your partner.

I have apologized for the percieved jab at the flagship receivers. They have thier place, however, IMO, I'd trade a few bells and whistles for separates. To proclaim a receiver as the end all, be all, is just a foolish statement.

BDT
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    If you would trade bells and whistles for seperates why don't you have seperates running your HT?
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    1. Money

2. My interest in HT is not that great. I'm MORE than content with my rig. If I were to drop a wad on an upgrade, it would be a sub. Paradigm Servo-15.

BDT
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2002
    When you bought that overpriced receiver, did you demo it with your in-walls?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    did you demo it with your in-walls?

Geeeeeeeeeessssshhhhhhh!!!

Where have you been? Why don't you get caught up before you start blabbing at the mouth.

Some peoples kids!!!!!!!
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    Good answer!
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
  • gidrah
    edited November 2002
    You would!
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    Is that all you got?

Go back to the minors!!

You are not worth my time.

I just want to talk to my ****.

Where you at ****!!!!!!!!!! (TROY)
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    posted by Girah,
    When you bought that overpriced receiver, did you demo it with your in-walls?

Dude,
    aside of liv4fam owning them, whats wrong with RBH inwalls?Or any inwall speaker for that matter?I think they sound great and very wife friendly.Big sound no floor space....verycool.RBH just so happens to be a really good speaker company.Not my favorite but good none the less.The RBH inwalls aren't cheap.

And the thing about the receiver being overpriced?Let's see B&K acr307 has won the best of the best 3 times in a row.....the reviewers don't think as you do.

I don't think you can beat it at it's price point.Why do you say this?Aside the pissing contest.:confused:
    Dan
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited November 2002
    You know i thought the forum was supposed to be to learn when i came here not jab at people who can't afford to pay thousands for a setup at a whim? I have a Integra receiver and feel it works for me and is what i could afford. To say it or any other typical receiver is junk basically is a bunch of garbage and i will rethink the opinions i have received from certain users on this forum after this post. Thanks for the true insight
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by faster100
    You know i thought the forum was supposed to be to learn when i came here not jab at people who can't afford to pay thousands for a setup at a whim?

Nicely put, faster100.

You're finally learning valuable lessons from TweeterDee and TweeterDum.

Enjoy your gear. What matters is your enjoyment of it, not what gear-flamers post.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    You're finally learning valuable lessons from TweeterDee and TweeterDum.
    ,posted by r/w.........

r/w,
    show me where I flammed anyones gear personally.Liv4fam ran wild in here the last 2 days.

I don't believe I deserve this comment.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    I guess nobody else wants to talk about my shootout.All energy seems to be directed at the current war.Or was for that matter.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited November 2002
    Sort of like Russ and I. Guilt by association. You are as guilty of that as anyone.

Personally, no, I wouldn't bother with a shootout of flagship receivers as it's not something I would ever buy.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Dan, I actually do have some comments forthcoming on your review. Give me a few minutes.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Thats cool bud.
    Dan
  • liv4fam
    edited November 2002
    And so it ended..............................:(