Question concerning Floors

Paul Connor
Paul Connor Posts: 231
edited August 2002 in Speakers
Looking for some feedback from ya'll about carpeting vs. hardwood floors for sound. I just moved my 1.2's into a new house will all hardwood floors. With the move I haven't had time to give them a good listen. Don't know just yet if I will put in carpet or not. Comments? Suggestions?
Post edited by Paul Connor on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    edited August 2002
    Dude consider at least a throw rug/area rug.Echo's are a problem with hardwood floors.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Paul Connor
    Paul Connor Posts: 231
    edited August 2002
    Morning Mantis,

I just put on some old Dylan acoustic and I can hear some echo. I am leaning toward carpet, but these floors look soooo good. May look into an large area rug. Thanks.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Talk to raife, he has/had hardwoods and BIG sda's.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    It looks like we'll be moving.:D The new house has a large living-room with hardwood floors and high ceilings. We will be using area rugs and lots of soft seatings. Other than the possibility of loose boards rattling, is there any other sort of acoustic anomoly that I should be aware of?

P.S. My Polks wil never leave me, but has anybody heard Magnepans or single drivers in a similar room?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    edited August 2002
    I've got hardwood floors, 9' ceilings and old plaster walls. I put down a nice antique Persian area rug with a couple of large wing chairs and sofa. You can still see plenty of wood floor with no echo.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    edited August 2002
    Controling reflections is the key.From the mid point of your room to the front soundstage,you want it dead as possible.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2002
    Also have hardwood in the theater.

Tough to loose that "church echo" without a rug.
    Unless your gal is willing to let you eat peanuts and throw the shells on the floor,
    in which case you should have a sufficient covering in a year or so, sooner if
    you invite us all over and provide adequate refreshments (read beer), shelling peanuts
    is hard work after all.

Even with the rug, it took some large furniture to really get a good sound, but not all furniture is musical, hold open auditions, and...

-Luc
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    not all furniture is musical

so true...so true :p

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2002
    On the other hand...all rugs are equal, but some rugs are more equal than others. ;)

President of Club Polk

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2002
    as long as it all adds up.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2002
    Large rooms, hardwood floors and high ceilings don't always equate to troublesome echos. Some recording studios are designed with those features to add a little natural "reverb" to the recorded sound.

In the room where my 1.2TL's are set up, I have hardwood floors and 10' ceilings, but I don't get as much echo as you might think. The front of the room is three sides of a rectangle. The rear of the room is three sides of a hexagon. Non-parallel walls and rough-textured wall finish help out a lot. If I am standing up in the room or in an adjacent room, I hear a very slight echo. It's sort of like the echo "clings" to the original sound instead of being distinct from it. If I am sitting in front of the speakers I am not aware of an echo.

Even if you have a room that echos like the Grand Canyon, room treatments can tame it down. But then, with room treatments, the pesky "wife acceptance factor" can come into play.
    :(
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!