An SDA Cultist Reviews The LSi9 (Long)

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2002
    nascarmann,

No, you misunderstood me. I want to re-veneer the original oak end caps with cherry veneer. Screws and glue, great. Any idea how to get inside? Does the back come off or do you go in though the driver holes?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2002
    OH, I've got it. The ends are solid wood with veneer banding.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Throught the holes.....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Thanks!!!

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    The ends are solid wood with veneer banding

There shouln't be any veneer on them....should be one solid peice of oak....
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    The grain tells me otherwise. What I mean is the edge has to be veneer banding, it's the only way to get it to look like it does. But, I understand what you told me about the solid wood. Cool!

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Party on Garth.....:lol:
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Garth?????

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    OK.....party on Wayne.....
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    LOL.....I'm with ya bro!

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2002
    Yeah, I can see how that beveled top was a **** to manufacture. Plus, the bevleled top has kind of a "chunky" look to it.

I like the look of the flat top better.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    "Polk" Paul DiComo,

My thanks to you, nascarmann & raife1 for all the help. As soon as I find the time (the shop is full) I'll get to work. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

President of Club Polk

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited August 2002
    I have the first version of the 15’s and this is what I see. The first version tops look like they were covered with a Formica style ebony gloss finish and then cut with a saw and pieced together. You can see the chip marks on the edges from the saw and hairline gaps that don’t match. The issue is one that needs a close examination of the speakers, but does not take away the beauty of the design. You guys should have hired a German carpenter to help out with the fit and finish. I do think the new one looks better in a clean way. If I’m lucky, I’ll have one of those rare sets that might be worth more money some day. :lol:
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Paul,
    is the entire line getting a facelift?
    Or just the book shelf models?
    Can you post larger pics.One of old design and then one of new design again...Please,
    thanks,
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Alright,
    after looking at the pic's,
    I think I get it.Was all the lsi's like that that?
    The flat top is clean but I see why you guys wanted the edges like that..looks good both ways.
    Dan
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited August 2002
    I tried to take some pictures of mine, but the glossy finish makes it hard to focus in and get a clean image of the lines.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    Dan,

Did you get the new or the old tops? I think I'd prefer the flat. I bet they sound SA-WEET with your Rotel rig.....Man, where you located? I'm on my way to Maine on Thursday, I'd like to get a demo of that!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    That'd be sweet man, see Dan's place, get an LSi demo....

Maybe even Aaron could tag along....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    When the new house is finished being built,
    anyone who wants to come over for a complete demo..is Invited...The Rotel is awesome....I can't get enough of it.
    I was saving for a big bang post about my speakers.I will post all about the Rotel, and what I ended up buying for my new rig......so far it's coming together just right.I'm so pumped to listen everyday.
    Buying new gear is so.......well I'm gonna leave it at that.....Wait for my complete post......this should be my very best post incoming.
    I will say this much.......flat tops.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    **** Dan, is your house going to be done this weekend? Troy doesn't care if your staying in a shantee, let him come by and hear your new toys.....

What freakin builder do you have? I've never heard of a house taking so long. The banks won't stand for it, and when you put down your escrow money, they should give you a rough completion date. (they will firm up that date about 45 days from closing)

Most reputable builders will knock it out in 6 months or less. Something doesn't seem quite right here......I'm not antagonizing, just curious......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Hell, I don't care if home is garbage dumpster with that kind of gear.....

You can bet even if I was homeless, I'd be the only **** pushing his DQ's and Carver's in a shopping cart...

That does make me wonder though, even with a construction loan, you got a year to get it done. Man, I couldn't take it, I want **** done NOW!

BDT
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Thanks for the concern guys,
    Mrs Mantis ,the kids and my self have been waiting over a year for the house to be built.Today was a great day ..my basement got poured.I'm so juiced.
    I purched the house last March 2001.The house was suppost to be done by December 2001.The latest the house was suppost to be completed was April 30 2002.It's now August 6 2002 and I have a big hole in the ground,water drain and now basement walls.
    I'm sick to my stomach over this entire build.There is 18 houses going up.I'm the 5th one to be completed.
    I wanted to get out of the deal a long time ago, but Mrs Mantis wants this house and I stuck by her.It's the perfect house for my family.Not to mention I had the basement raised up to 9 feet from 8 feet in order to build the ultimate man cave.I think I posted before but I will have an office which will in turn be a 2 channel room,a theater room,with a raiser,screen and projector.Inbetween the theater and my office,I'm building a gear room and software room.Inside will house my entire multiroom audio system.Speakers in every room of the house including outdoors and the garage.
    We had so many problems..my builder by the way is JTC DEVELOPMENT.It all started with this water rolloff problem,the engineers had to redesign the water drain off 3 times and took 8 months....my lot was trees and grass....and trash.I was fit to be tied.Then this lady in the exsisting neighborhood didn't want the build to happen..we all had to go to court and fight for our houses to be built....How much can it suck.Now after all is said and done.....they are building.Pouring all the basements on my side of the street ,then building/finishing them as per contract.
    My upgrades have been on the back burner as Mrs Mantis didn't want me 2 drop all that cash untill the entire house thing was over.She is all for it..she even bought me a 1900's popcorn machine and cart...hot popper.Has the butter thing and everything...So cool.I got 2 mid alantic racks sitting on my back pourch waiting for gear to sit on there shelves.
    I live outside of Philly Just North.
    TroyD,
    where are you coming from,I see your going to Maine...thats about 10 hours or so from me.I think..I can be in CT in about 4 and a half.New York City is about a hour away.And New Jersey is about 5 min away.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    I can't find any info on 'JTC Development', do they have a website you know of?

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Man, that sucks. There is no way I would put up with that. I would have walked a long time ago.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    It does suck and no they don't have a web site.
    My wife loves the house...so do I.Everything is finally coming together.The basement walls are dry...

My lsi 15's are flat top design,and the woofers are mounted differently then the ones on the speaker pages.If you look at the drivers there the straight egde is running along with the tweeter.Mine is rounded at the tweeter side and straight at the sides of the cabnet.If I had a digital camera,I would take a pic.I'll borrow Liv4fams and snap some pics.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Cool Dan, best of luck on the house, you have more patience than I do.....

At some point in my travels, I'd love to stop in and check out your rigs.....that is as long as you and liv4fam don't dice me up with boxcutters and kick me in the ballbag. :D

BDT
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    LOL.....he just lives down the road about 5 mins away..if you want to meet him.....We don't own box cutters just drywall saws,well baybe a razor blade knife or 2....but.......
    my rig is cool right now..funny how I have put Home Theater on the back burner for now.I watched the Lord of the rings lastnight,moving around speakers justs sucks.Good movie anyway.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    So whats the deal Troy, are you gonna pop-in for a quick demo or what?
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    I'd like to but on the way up, we are going to pass through NJ midday, on the way back though, he's pretty close to Casa Grande.

BDT