Line Conditioners With Home Theater Question...

yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited August 2002 in Electronics
So currently I have a Parasound AVC2500 Pre/Pro, a Parasound AT2205 (220 watt x 5) Amp, Mitsubishi 65" HDTV, Klipsch SW12II Subwoofer, Sony DVP-S7700, Mitsubishi SVHS VCR, (and of course my Polks RT12's, RT16's, CS350LS) all plugged into a $70 Monster HT800 cheapie Surge Protector which is plugged into a dedicated 20amp line for the Home Theater. I don't see or hear any noticeable problems with the current setup, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything. I have an chance to buy a Monster HTS-2500 Surge Protector/Line Conditioner for $150 (retail $300) and am wondering if it will provide me a positive result other than better peace of mind. Those that have taken the plunge into this arena, please share.

Thanks!
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited July 2002
    I bought the Monster 3500 for my system. The few if any changes were subtle. I mainly got if for the peace of mind. But I've talked to people first hand that got a much more drastic improvement. Personally, I think it makes more of a difference if your power is crappy, but it sounds like your dedicated line works well. That's my 2 cents, it's up to you in my opinion.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2002
    I also bought the HTS3500 when I built my dedicated HT. It was something I looked into and did the research on Monster's web site. I think most people agree that there are no night and day differences. Mine does have the audio and video filters-power off and on delays- switched and unswitched plugs (which can be very useful). Took care of all my plugs safely. I really like the look of them with my components. The new Monster line looks even more impressive.
    It does exactly what I wanted and a good peace of mind too.
    :cool:
  • north51
    north51 Posts: 66
    edited July 2002
    I haven't tried this model of line conditioner, but they are definitely uesful in your system, even if you don't see the difference. The line conditioner allows your system to receive a constant current, as your power running through your house fluctuates. These fluctuations cause spikes in your power, which degrades your components over time.

If I could use an analogy, it would be like taking a piece of granite and spraying your water hose at it. What happens? There is no noticeable difference in the rock. Now, if you spray that hose every day for five years, what happens? The rock will erode. This is basically how a line conditioner will help your system.

Again, this is a debatable topic, as there are arguments as to how effective this is.

One interesting demo that I have heard is to take your vacuum cleaner and run it both in your line conditioner and you regular outlet. The line conditioner should make your vacuum run smoother as it is getting constant current.

That's my 2 cents worth.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2002
    I put an HTS800 on my parents tv and they thought that the color improved a significant amount.
  • yoeddy
    edited July 2002
    I just found an HTS2500 on ebay for $140. Am I going to kick myself for not getting the 3500? Joule rating seemed to be one of the only differences along with the volt meter. Comments?
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited July 2002
    I live in an apartment, and when I sleep at night I always run a fan for some white noise. Just listening to the fan I can tell there are spikes in the power. It will run constant, then suddenly speed up, then slow back to normal. I can only imagine what an unconditioned line would do to a system. But again, I am in an apartment..so the fluctuations would be much more drastic than a normal house.
    One more thing. ALWAYS unplug your PS2 when you're not using it. Turning it off, from what I've heard, doesn't do enough. Unplug that mug...heh.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited July 2002
    At my former house, the HTS3500 did not make a difference in the picture quality of my home theater system or my audio system, so I took it back.

I moved into a new house this summer and I specified dedicated 20 amp lines for my home theater and audio system. There was a very noticeable difference in the picture clarity and the sound of the home theater system.

I was shocked at how much more musical detail I heard from my audio system.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited August 2002
    Since we're on this topic, I'd still like to find more information on using UPS's for home theater equipment. The question has been brought up before, but never really answered (to my knowledge). I read an article about a year ago (which I can't find now) that said something about computer UPS's using sine waves (could be wrong about the terms, but something like that) and that might not be good for audio components, but that most people couldn't tell the difference. Does that make any sense?

I've been using them for a few years since I live in the country and our power is extremely flaky, but I don't know why computer UPS's would be any different. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • yoeddy
    edited August 2002
    So I just received my Monster HTS2500 and every picture that I have seen online, and the model at Circuit City has 5 indicator lights in red/green. Mine has 7 lights and the one in the middle is the cool blue light that indicates "clean" power. Looks like some of Monster's new stuff indicates a ver.2.0 badge at their website, and I think my manual indicates the same. Anyone know if anything has changed from the earlier versions besides lights?
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    The 2500 uses what monster calls stage 2 clean power (audio/video) and the 3500 is stage 3 (audio/video/digital). Too late now, huh? ;)
  • yoeddy
    edited August 2002
    So what would Stage 4 and Stage 5 consist of?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited August 2002
    The fall and the short of why you want a line/surge protection,
    First of all you need something to plug all your source/amp/tv into.Then you want some kind of insurance that all of it will live after a electricial storm.
    Then the filtering plays a really noticable role when you do a outlet to power center compare.You can go to Monster's website to get all the Clean Power and filtering stages spec's.
    I can tell you what I have experienced when I did the upgrade.
    I went for the HTS5000.The video side ,the colors got richer and more vibrant.The picture seemed to have better depth.
    Then theres audio..my soundstage got alittle bigger and the sound got clearer.
    I strongly believe in line conditioners....Monster isn't the only one s on the market..but they make a real nice product.Panamax's line is nice as well.
    Monster has realised a voltage stablizer...This is a real nice add on for clean and stable power.Working together with a HTS or HTPS piece you got about as good as it get anywhere near that price point.
    If you got some money into your system..which I'm sure you do...I would seriously look intot the best surge/line condisioner money can by(yours of course).
    All the improvements on the system is gravy on top.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited August 2002
    I have done research on this subject before I discovered that the line conditioners are only for the low amp devices. There is a port labeled for amps and it is unfiltered, because most of these line filters use capacitors as the filter. When doing this the amps are being starved of power it needs. I finally decided to make a simple power strip by braiding 4 wires together (1 common, 1 neutral and 2 ground). I compared this setup to a friend that has the Monster 2500 and his system sounded much cleaner and clearer, IMO and his. I have used the same concept on a power cord for my DVD player. I gave the DVD player a chassis ground and I have noticed a big difference. I originally calibrated my system with the AVIA DVD and has a 20% red push. When I changed the power cord the red push dropped to 5%. The biggest difference was in the subtitles; it is clear and very white. The best part of all this is the price. The power strip cost me $15 to make and the power cord $7. All the information on this can be found on AVSforum.com. I would start by trying to install a dedicated circuit, this will help with any noises created by fans.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    Yoeddy,

In answer to your question, You have the New MKII version of the HTS 2500. The Circuit City you saw it at has not updated it's display (neither has ours). Anyway, I was wondering the same, so when shopping for one I actually called monster on this, and there are no significant changes to the circuitry, mainly just a redesigned chasis (a cool blue light).
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    I run the HTS-2500. Great line conditioner/surge protector. Only problem, I need more outlets.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2002
    has the 3500 it is great i ran 2 outlets for my sub and tv so i can plug them both into the sureg so i can automaticley turn on and off my sub and suround amp wheni turn on and off my recever
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    What? ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Sounds like some funky wiring to me....
    Dan
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    I plugged my HTS2500 into one of the protected outlets on the back to protect it and it won't turn on, how come?

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    LOL........got me dude ahahahahahaha
    Dan
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited August 2002
    I just purchased the HTS 5000 from etronics.com for $360+22.95
    shipping. Gonna take the 1000 I was using and put it in the bedroom. I needed more outlets, cleaner power, and the time
    delay. Plus the trigger for the TFM-35x .I couldn't have a system with out one. We have some real thunder & lightining down here
    in Georgia. It's looking for something unprotected to zap.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death