Home Theater...its Not That Hard!!!

Comments

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited July 2002
    What is a home theater?

A home theater is an audio/video playback system that approximates in your home the experience of seeing—and hearing—a film in a cinema. Setting up a home theater can be as simple as adding a compact surround sound system to the TV set in your family room, or as complex as building a dedicated viewing room equipped with elaborate built-in speakers, massive amplifiers, and a big-screen front-projection TV system
    Here is a definition of Home Theater. Troy it says and I quote "adding a compact surround sound system" surroud is not two-channel therefore it is not Home Theater. Do not confuse people in the post to thinking that two speakers is Home Theater just so you can disagree with Mantis. Excerpt from Dolby Labs.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited July 2002
    Surround sound makes the difference

Surround sound, which is what turns conventional TV viewing into home theater, originates from program material such as DVDs that have multichannel soundtracks. The multiple channels are reproduced by three speakers across the front of the viewing area, and surround speakers to either side (Figure 1). The result is sound that transports you into the world of you're watching; you feel less like a passive viewer and more like an active participant.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2002
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    At least someone in here understands what Home theater is....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by liv4fam
    The result is sound that transports you into the world of you're watching; you feel less like a passive viewer and more like an active participant.

If it's got good acting and a good story you don't need surround sound to transport you anywhere, 'cause you're already there!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2002
    oops!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Nice civil post liv4fam, and I see you quote Dolby labs, good on ya, way to get your quote on.

Are we talking surround sound, or home theater? I thought we were defining HT? Who has the (copy)right to define what HT is and isn't? I won't argue your point on 'surround sound', but you made no valid points as to why a 2ch, 1ch, 2.1ch, etc etc cannot be deemed home theater.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2002
    mantis,

Yes, I am in my forties and I hate to disappoint you, but I have no idea when it was that I last saw a movie in just stereo. This I do remember, theaters only had one BIG screen, the popcorn tastes the same and copping a feel of my girlfriends ski slopes mattered the most. I also remember that going to the movies was to be immersed in the film and not the sound system.
    I think burdette made some good points...it boils down to what is important to the individual and individuals have different ideas on what constitutes HT. Look at all the different formats the various companies use today...even they can't agree on what constitutes HT.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2002
    burdette,

I've still got my 3-head dual capstan cassette deck around here somewhere and you're right they were not cheap. Do you still use yours?

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    For about the 10th effin' time......WE DISAGREE. Is that OK?

I just don't see WHY HT has to include surround. If you guys think so, GREAT!

What is the big frigging deal about what is HT and what is not?

Now, note that I've not said ONE insulting word or anything like that in this post. I am merely expressing an opinion.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    :o
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    TroyD,
    any reason your all twisted up about a super simple thing like Home theater?

I also see you argue that Home Theater doesn't need surround.

Wanna play nice???????????

HOME THEATER SYSTEM
    A collection of audio and video componets designed and configured to reproduce the picture and sound that would be experienced from a movie in a Movie Theater.A home Theater is generally expected to include a TV screen of reasonable size and a SURROUND SOUND audio system.

Thats it BDT.........so why is it so hard for you to understand.
    You can have your own opnion of what Home Theater is...YOUR WRONG....but your intitled to.

F1nut,
    what you describe is the liking of a movie experience.You seem not to enjoy Surround sound......which makes up for 50% of the movie experience.You didn't dissapoint me,I think it's very cool you got to experience movies that way back then......

The point what people think or want to think what Home Theater is anyones right to do so.......but this type of thinking is very miss leading......If home theater can be achived with just a 2 channel stereo system,then why the hell you we need to buy rear speakers, a center channel,a subwoofer?????

TroyD,
    you just love to quote Polk........should I make a call to customer service and complain about them saying THE CENTER CHANNEL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT SPEAKER???
    Since your into quoting and live you life by it..I will come to your level of thinking and retort.................

QUOTE FROM POLK AUDIO.........
    The centerl channel speaker is a criticial component of a HOME THEATER system.TYPICIALLY,over 50% of the INFORMATION in a MOVIE SOUNDTRACK is directed to the CENTER CHANNEL speaker.To get exceptional HOME THEATER PERFORMANCE,your CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER need to have the SAME SONIC CHARACTER,and play as loud as the MAIN SPEAKERS.The better your left and right speakers,the better the center speaker should be.
    Well TroyD...that tells me I need at least 3 speakers to do Home Theater........would you argue there point?Or is that a marketing hype line to sell speakers and SUCKER people into buying a center channel?

Answer me this....why in the Polk catalogs,ALL of there HOME THEATER SPEAKER PACKAGES, include surround speakers???ARE they WRONG FOR INCLUDING THEM?I don't see a package that doesn't include surrounds...like a TroyD package designed and signed by TROYD himself.
    Now are you going to answer my questions or are my questions not important for you?
    4 the effin 11th time is it ok to dissagree with you???
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    Dan,

For the last time, I'm not arguing with you. I have a difference of viewpoint on what the minimum standards for HT are, nothing more.

For those that are interested on how I base my opinion, go to page 2 of the Polk Audio HT guide and read the first paragraph. That philosophy pretty much mirrors my own.

If you believe that HT must include surround, that's cool. Different opinions are what makes the world go around.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    I'm not sure what questions you are talking about though.....Do I think that what I describe as minimums in an HT setup qualify as a surround sound setup? Obviously not. For surround minimums, I would define that as requiring front and rear channels. There are variations of this dating back more than 30 years actually.

I just don't happen to buy that HT must include surround sound. However, if I am in the minority, big deal. I just think it is a right or wrong question, I think it is an opinion question.

Would I agree that in a surround sound system that the center channel is the most important? Sure, I could go along with that.

What were the other questions?

Troy
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    A home Theater is generally expected to include a TV screen of reasonable size and a SURROUND SOUND audio system.

Ya know......I really don't care either way but....the quote you gave does say "generally expected to include"....nothing there that says "must have".....just my $4.56 worth:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    Mantis

You start a thread (as if anyone asked) that lists what you need for a Home Theater and ask "ANY ARGUEMENTS?????" Were you asking for this pissing match? People have posted their thoughts and you lash out and have this little fit towards anyone who has a different opinion. Personally I don’t give a s%*# how YOU, Tweeter, Dolby, liv4fam or THX have defined as a minimum for Home Theater, it is just an opinion, therefore EVERYBODY’s opinion here is correct, at least to them. You have the right to tactfully disagree, but you have no right to state that the opposing opinion is wrong.

I am sick a tired of your juvenile behavior, over and over you have taunted members into these little battle of wits trying to prove your superior knowledge and wisdom, guess what, NOBODY REALLY GIVES A ****. How old are you? Maybe I am reading your responses wrong, but you seem very immature.

It would be nice to have someone in your profession on here to help others, give advise, offer first hand experience, but the way you present yourself and your attitude is not very welcome here.

Mantis, I am sorry to lower this to a personal level but this has gone on since you arrived and I am sick of it
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    If you must have ALL the speakers, subwoofers, amps and such to have a Home Theater, why does every processor give the option(s) to set up your rig with or without all speakers except the front two?

Center: yes or no
    Surrounds: yes or no
    Subwoofer: yes or no

This would almost suggest that the front two channels are the minimum speakers that are required to experience Home Theater.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    This would almost suggest that the front two channels are the minimum speakers that are required to experience Home Theater.

Yes Sir hoosier21....yes...smiley_beertoast.gif
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Nice words hoosier....

Dan constantly makes himself look like a one-legged man at an ****-kicking contest, and he doesn't even realize it....

I think the 'problem' here lies much, much deeper. Maybe even going back to childhood, a need to feel accepted, and wanted. Maybe even just plain useful. Perhaps self-esteem is hoovering near zero, I just don't get it man, but I almost feel sorry for the dude sometimes.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    I dunno, I'm just whipped by the whole thing and quite frankly, I'm tired of posting my opinions and getting flogged for it. I've always said that I enjoy debate and so forth but this **** is getting pretty old.

To be honest, I thought Dan and I had called a cease fire and in my mind, I've kept up my end and would ask the same consideration in return.

Troy
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2002
    There are many evenings I may find an older program in which the audio does not sound correct from Dolby Pro or even Logic 7 and I switch to Stereo on my h/k...

I would have to say that to enjoy HT in this case, a 2 channel settup is better than all the additional channels. Sometimes the sophistication of the HT equipment can become a impedement to the overall listening experience.

With that being said... At the very minimum, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, 2 separate channels even if mono can really enhance our experience.

Does anybody watch the old reruns of the Twilite Zone??? Perfect example of what I'm talking about. I Luv that Show!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    HBomb,

I know ED ZACHRY what you mean. I'd even go so far as to say that my favorite movies have nothing to do with good sound...

Casablanca
    Magnificent Seven
    North By NorthWest
    Rear Window

great movies in a non-surround environment....

BDT
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2002
    Lets go about this pragmatically....

There are items on your list that are indeed requirements if one wants a home theater, even by the broadest definition presented here (source, monitor of some sort). Many of the things on your list are personal opinion and fall far short of being a requirement. They are merely opinions on how to improve the home theater, but not guidelines *for* home theater. Your assertions smack of snobbery.. but that is all right as long as you recognize them as such rather than putting them forth as fact.

(By the way, F1nut, I still have two 3-head, dual capstan cassette decks... and I do use them occasionally. I still have a cassette player in one car and still have other cassette devices around like the walkman I use when I run.)

1)5 channels of EQUAL AND SAME BRAND amps

Dolby would disagree, given that they consider Pro Logic (4 channels) to be home theater. Five channels may be the latest tread, but "home theater" existed before five channels. There are a multitude of movies that aren't in 5.1, just as there will be a shitload of DVDs that aren't 6.1 or 7.1 or whatever once that becomes the 'norm.'

Equal and same brand amps is opinion. It might matter in certain listening situations, but in plenty of instances, you nor anyone could tell by ear whether the amps were of equal power or the same brand.

2)MATCHING preamp(a surround receiver would replace steps one and 2)

"Matching" is an opinion.

3)5 of the SAME brand speakers from the SAME line...all MATCHING.

Again, "Same" is opinion. You might prefer having the same brand, perhaps the same line, but it is not a requirement to create a home theater. Plenty of actual theaters do not use speakers from the same brand, especially those that have been around awhile. They probably have one **** huge Altec Lansing behind the screen, potentially different brand off to either side (good chance its JBL), and potentially a third brand hanging off the theater walls.

4)a subwoofer.

Depends on how you define "subwoofer." You don't *need* a separate subwoofer if your front speakers reproduce the entire LFE signal. All you need is the ability to reproduce the lowest audio signals present on your video source.

5)MATCHING front 3 wire ,better if all wire is the same length.Good quality rear wire if equal length even better.All nessary interconnects to wire it up.

Pure opinion and to some extent, speculation. I understand some people would fight to the death on the subject of wiring... double-blind (triple-blind?) evaluations have shown the limitations of 'improved' wiring. Variations in speaker response could easily wipe out any electronically-measurable differences. Regardless, it is by no means a requirement for home theater nor even two channel audio.

6)A source or sources.

Agreed. You have to have SOMETHING to watch and listen to.

7)a monitor of some sort.

Agreed. You have to be able to see the image.

8)A room to put all this in

Agreed.

9)Surge protection(at least enough outlets to plug everything into).

The ability to plug everything in is sort of a no brainer. You might as well say "a house that is wired for electricity."

10)a place to sit,something to drink and snack on and away you go.And maybe someone to cuttle up with.

You do need a place to sit. Everything else is opinion.
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    The ability to plug everything in is sort of a no brainer. You might as well say "a house that is wired for electricity."

:lol: That is way too good... :lol:
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    My point exactly TroyD...

burdette, we have to stop for a beer if your somewhere around Columbia/Jeff City. I either go to the Turtle 2 off of AC or the Turtle Club in Ashland but I really have no preference. Just like to drink a few cold 1's!!!!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited July 2002
    Where are the Theater Seats?
    The Curtain?
    The Sticky Floors?
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    HBomb....

Am I not invited??

BDT
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Hey.....I'd like to poor down some cold ones too.....
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2002
    That would be great!!!

TroyD, Hijack 1 of those fancy fighters you see from your office, fly up to Tennesse and grab Nascarmann and I'll pick you guys up @ the Columbia Airport in MO. I would imagine that we could be knee deap in Beer by 3PM Central.

Sounds like fun to the HBomb.......
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Yeah BDT.....I'll meet you at Tri-Cities airport.....:D