Mounting LSiFX and back surround speakers

2»

Comments

• smilingdawg
    smilingdawg Posts: 16
    edited July 2002
    Hey all,

I honestly just want opinions here, and I don't want folks getting all upset :-). Every application is different, and everyone has their opinions.

I know of another speaker manufacturer that does suggest that you can hang their on wall dipole/bipole speaker on the ceiling if the particular application does not allow for on wall placement. (I even was able to talk to the speaker designer in this case)

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this with the Polk LSiFX and if so how did they do it and how did they like it.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    All, BS aside, IMO opinion exactly HOW it is attached and where it is attached shouldn't make a difference.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    You see my point exactly on this poor guy just needed some help and we pissed allover his post.........its wrong nomatter how you look at it..........

Sorry Dude ,If you read my posts,just skip my kicking these guys in here and read my experience with Dipolar speakers in general,It could help you some.I haven't mounted a pair of LSI/FX but I have alot of experience with hanging speakers.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • smilingdawg
    edited July 2002
    Just in case anyone was wondering, customer service did point out a company called called omnimount may have brackets to allow mounting on the ceiling. http://www.omnimount.com/

So it seems possible, but I haven't decided what I will do for my room :-)
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    Gee, imagine that. :rolleyes:

BDT
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    BDT

Polk needs to put that in the munual......:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    No,
    they need not to put that in the manual.

Here's the deal.When you mount the lsi f/x from the ceiling with one of those omnimount brackets,.......better yeat,go to the web site with the link above and imagine how the lsi f/x speaker is going to look with there bracket.Forget about performance for a minute,and thing about the big shiny black V SHAPED SPEAKER HANGING FROM YOUR CEILING.............LOOKS!!!!!!

Here it is in my current house........

My wife......honey you need to leave now ,you have broken me with these spaceships hanging from our ceiling.

Me.....but honey I read on the forum I could do this and even someone called customer service and they said use these brackets.

My Wife...I thought you had more common sense then that.

Me......now that I see what I did ,I thought I did 2.

You know what??
    Hey man,
    you never said why you couldn't hang your speakers on the wall,or even a room layout to see if there is a better way then this nightmare of a fix.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    Dan,

Let's not start a another pissing contest but your arguments have been that you couldn't mount a 24 lb speaker from the ceiling, then it wouldn't sound right and now that it's asthetically unpleasing.

All, along I've said that I grant that it may not be the optimal thing to do but if, for whatever reason someone needs to do it, it can be done.

Asthetically, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I say if it doesn't bother him, go with it. I mean, could it be much worse than laying floorstanders on ther backs and tilting the tweets tword the ceiling?

Performance wise, what would be the difference of a pair hanging down from the ceiling as opposed to being on a pair of stands? Honestly, I don't see where how something is mounted makes ALL that much difference.

I say, let this dog lie. If the guy needs to hang the speakers from the ceiling (whatever his reasons may be) it can be safely done.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    TroyD,
    I never said you can't do it,only if you try to do it with the factory bracket.Danger lies in this mounting.Period.They ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR THIS MOUNTING.

My arguement was in performance,I remember telling you I could mount YOU from the ceiling and I'm sure you weigh more then 24 lbs.

I don't think you ever mounted Dipolar speakers from a ceiling or even listened to them in this setup.As noted Home theater isn't Important to you I don't know why you try to give people advice where you lack in knowledge.I'm not trying to insult you are start a pissing match.Just let it go Bro your out of your league here.

You never as I did ask him why he can't mount his speakers on the wall(UNTILL MY LAST POST BEFORE THIS AS I THOUGHT OF IT THEN,ARGUING WITH YOU IS DISSTRACTING) or address any other options.You just like to argue anything you can and I don't know why you do this.You stated you opnion let it go.

So to get it all straight....YES YOU CAN HANG ANY SPEAKER FROM
    THE CEILING.I can mount my rt1000p's from the ceiling safely but they won't perform they way they where designed.

Remember I offered the Idea of Inceiling speaker which are designed to work there,YOU never addressed any other options.

AS far as performance goes with monopoles firing up at the ceiling,you'll never know how good or bad it is by me telling you here.

Things like this post need EXPERIENCE to help people with there systems.NOT stating O YES SIR YOU CAN HANG THEM THERE WITH THE CUSTOM INSTALL BRACKETS DOWN AT THE STORE.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    What about wiring them TroyD.........
    Did you ever suggest any way of geting the wires in the ceiling,ask if he had drywall or drop tile........did you know some drop tiles won't support 24lbs?

Now if you want to do this......I'M GAME BUDDY.If you want to let it go...I'll respect that.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    You know TroyD,
    I don't think you read the entire question from the beginning.

You didn't address the entire post, just hang the speakers.
    What about your suggestions bud?do you have any other ones for him?

Do you own the lsi's or know what other's are doing for rears in a 7.1 channel setup?????

If your gonna sling things around,at least address the post.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    I'm game?

Dan, sometimes it seems you stop talking (posting) only long enough to switch feet. Give it a rest.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • smilingdawg
    edited July 2002
    Ok :) smile everyone :) ... I am not trying to add fuel to any fires here...I think we all agree, we have different opinions, AND life is good enough that we can ENJOY home theater issues. Now ...

I didn't include the room information initially because I didn't think anyone wanted to know.

I don't really have a back wall, thus I can not mount speakes on the walls. The ceiling vaults up to the center of the room, such that the back of the room is at 8 feet, and goes up to 12 feet and back down to 8 feet at the TV. So I can mount the left and right surrounds on the wall, but for the rears I am left to mounting them on the ceiling. I hope to "match" the speakers all around or at least come close, so I was asking if I could mount the LSiFX on the ceiling, since Polk does not make an in-ceiling speaker in the LSi family. The room is 16ft wide x 21ft long

Next time I ask, I suppose I will try to put more information in the post. I hope this completes all the necessary info.

BTW: thanks for the information provided thus far.
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    smilingdawg,
    sory to rant on your post dude,
    But we have a history in here.And thiese kinds of posting go on.
    I hope at least you got out of it what you wanted and get your speaers where you want them.
    The Inwall's they don't have a matching one but I thought it would be a better opnion then drilling up a pair of lsi's and hanging them from a ceiling.Good luck anyway.

Russman,
    Switching feet???I'm always at idle untill posts like Troy's need to be addressed.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    No biggie, just different opinions that's all.........

Certainly there is no harm in different points of view

BDT