sub or no sub.....

2»

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    joe,

I'm not ruling out a sub, in fact, if I can get my hands on the DQ-1W and crossover, I'll probably do it. I'd really only consider a passive to be honest for the 2 ch rig. Easier to match amps.

I've read about the DQ-10 being bass shy and don't buy it for a couple of reasons. First the specs I've seen show it going into the upper 30's (-3db) which isn't bad for a sealed 10" driver. Back in the day that the DQ-10 was released a 10" woofer in a speaker was pretty small by comparison. The other thing I would suggest is that these things suck up a LOT of juice and I think a lot of folks who said there was no bass didn't feed it enough power.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2002
    i have to say i usto hook up this old fender 15 boy did it make rock music rock yeah got to love that rock
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    I missed this one,
    Attacking Poor Aaron like that......shame on you guys.Why not pick on someone your own size...like the big bad **** Mantis!!!!!!
    OK enought with that,
    Sub or no sub in a 2 channel rig...........thats a good question.Id say it depends on your speakers and there ability to go low,real low.Not in the 40's or 30, i MEAN IN THE 20'S.
    Now there is one sub on the market i find Audiophiles all agree on........Enter ReL.They blend in like the sound is all coming from the mains all buy themselves.They add low extention that most speakers need.
    Now you can be happy with how your speakers perform and the power of your amp driving them to the desired levels.Add a Rel and learn a whole new meaning to your music.
    Thats how I feel.
    On the 10K note....I do agree with Aaron on sonic purity as I will put it.High end speaker's out perform all the budget speakers made period.Take Dynaudio Confidence C4's priced at 16 grand.They are one of the realist sounding speaker's I ever heard.Untill you experience them.............better yeat go hear them and then post back your new feeling's........No sub needed here.I wouldn't add a Rel as the job is forfilled.
    But in the really real world as stated above in last posts,you can find good quality speakers under 10k that can perform.The level is up to the individual.The cash follows even closer.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Audiophiles RARELY agree on anything and I doubt that true audiophile purists would give much creedance to any powered sub. Of course anyone that would spend 10G's or better on a turntable I think is off thier rocker anyway.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2002
    Don't knock the $10k turntables. You can get a laser turntable for around that. How cool is that? Then of course there's the infamous Rockport Sirius (or whatever it's called) for $75k.....

Aaron
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited June 2002
    I vote for a passive sub ,sealed enclosure, crossed over at somewhere around 35 to 40 Hz.
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited July 2002
    Anybody ever try the Vandersteen sub?
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Are we talking the Vandy with the 3, 8 inchers? Is it Sealed? I'd like to, have heard good things about it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.