OK...I need your opinions...The purchase bug is biting!!!

yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited May 2002 in Electronics
So currently I am running a Sony 53V75 Big Screen TV that has Component Video. Using Component Video Cables, I connect the TV to my Parasound AVC2500 Pre/Pro(cause I want OSD) and then to my Sony DVPS7700 also using Component Video Cables. My DVD Player is not progressive and neither is the TV. My Pre/Pro will be able to pass a Progressive stream with a bandwidth upgrade. Here is the question. If I buy a Widescreen HDTV, and use my existing Sony DVPS7700 and connect it with component video, will I see much of a difference? Or will I see a huge difference buying a Sony 9000ES Progressive DVD player going the same route?

Thanks for your replies.
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    OK, your Parasound pre passes the osd threw the componet video output???or do you mean composite???I have seen only one anything receiver or preamp that can do that..and thats the Pioneer Elite vsx49tx.Nothing I know of yeat can do it.
    But anyway The Sony 9000es is disco...go for the sony dvpns900v.Its a really nice built Progressive scan dvd /sacd player.14 bit.You will see a big difference compared to a good progressive scan player and a interlaced player upconverted with a internal tv scaler.
    go Progressive.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2002
    I have the same Pre/Pro and I know for a fact that this unit does not have the bandwidth to pass a HDTV or progressive signal. I called Parasound and they gave me the same Schpeal that they have given everyone for the past 2 years. I think that new HALO line is drgging their progress, which makes me think they may never come out with the upgrade. Do you know something I don't? It's still one of the best Pre/Pro's I have ever heard.

,Jer

P.S.

The only differance that I can tell on my big screen with the progressive on is only in movies that are CGI or a new cartoon like Tarzan where the motion is really fast and the Progressive helps to smooth out the animation. What you will notice the most is the excellent color depth you get from useing component video.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • yoeddy
    edited May 2002
    I contacted Parasound about this via phone and via email, and they replied via email about 3 weeks ago and said that an upgrade will be available and to reply if I have interest in such an upgrade. Woo hoo!!

Btw...what kind of TV/DVD Player are you using?

I was thinking of upgrading my current TV but keeping the DVD player. By keeping my current dvd player, would I see any diff using component?
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2002
    Cheap JVC player looks better than my Sony 9000??

Read thru the above link. Mike Knapp owner of HomeTheaterTalk did a comparsion on the ES9000 and the JVC

You could save yourself $1000+ if all you want is an excellent progressive picture. I have a JVC S60 progressive and the picture is amazing.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited May 2002
    I just received an e-mail from Parasound on the component HDTV upgrade. It seems they are putting the final touches on the upgrade. The only problem I can see with the upgrade is the $500 price tag for the conversion. For $500 I could buy a new Denon receiver with this feature built-in. What's your 2c on this?
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2002
    I see receivers and pre/pro's like computers, outdated right after you buy the damned things. Highend pre/pro's at least offer the upgrades but as you point out they are expensive.

I have a Denon 3802 receiver got it for 625.00 or so from Crazy Eddie's, I might be missing something that the big dollar pre/pro have, but I am so ignorant I don't know it.

Ignorance is bliss

Did I even answer your question?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • yoeddy
    edited May 2002
    Whoa...$500! I will probably get it anyway since I love the 2500 sooooo much! I have no interest in anything more than 5.1 and stereo. HDTV and a Progressive Scan DVD Player on the other hand do interest me.