Assembling a pair of Legends

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,369
    Finally got a tracking number for the 4 woofers. The replacement tweeters are on the way as well
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Here is a look at the drivers for the L 600. The magnet structures are pretty large and heavy compared to Polk Audio products in the past. The baskets, however, are still made relatively thin, although they do have indentations in the structure to provide extra strength and support. I can easily see how some Dyna mat could improve the performance of the speakers by eliminating ringing within that structure. 0qh153j92egv.jpg
    v56fddngzs5m.jpg
    8gp2c7x5m296.jpg
    cpouy656g0s7.jpg
    dl57qq9mo375.jpg
    i97y48xbhrfv.jpg
    5v2q2y924xgn.jpg

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 10
    This speaker has been prepped and ready for driver installation. This is a picture of the speaker before I begin doing that.ooclxxy3e3gn.jpg
    All drivers placed in position and ready to be secured. One thing about installing the drivers in the speakers is that they have to be oriented in such a way as to allow the pins on the beauty rings to clip in place. If you secure the driver in the wrong position, you will cover those holes and making it nearly impossible to fit the trim rings in place.
    4rriyn6x6er1.jpg

The legend series uses different size connectors for positive and negative. This makes it idiot proof for making certain that you’ve got the right connections.

99st75hglqtt.jpg

One note about the tweeter around the outside of the bezel. It has a piece of 3M double-sided tape, which is used to secure the trim ring around it. I find using that tape to be redundant because the plate also has magnetic coupling, so just sliding into place in allowing the magnets to grip it makes it easier if you have to remove the driver later.7aa4e6q8jyag.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,321
    This little piggie went to market....... :D:D
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,136
    Lovely pinky toes for such a grumpy old geezer! 😜
    Alea jacta est!
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 748
    Kinda surprised Polk is using stamped steel baskets for speakers in this price point .
    How about the L800’s ?

Bk
    PS Audio S300 , WiiM Ultra , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • nooshinjohn
    gyosa wrote: »
    Kinda surprised Polk is using stamped steel baskets for speakers in this price point .
    How about the L800’s ?

Bk
    Stamped steel in there as well

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,546
    It's an engineering over correction... Lsim cast baskets were breaking so they reverted all the way to stamp steel.

Kind of like when Janet Jackson revealed herself at the super bowl the next year was Paul McCartney playing piano for 15 minutes
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,028
    So, not applying Dynamat to the baskets while they are open?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,500
    edited April 12
    muncybob wrote: »
    So, not applying Dynamat to the baskets while they are open?

I'd do so and will at some point when I go into my L800's. Surprisingly, John called his 1.2tl's fully modded at one point but didn't Dynamat. He later corrected his statement to say 'fully modded' but short of Dynamat 'cause he didn't have the time. Not sure where he lands re. this...?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    gyosa wrote: »
    How about the L800’s ?

Bk

Same drivers for all Legend speakers and I wouldn't be surprised if the same drivers are used in the Reserve series.

Main differences are cabinet structure, material and more sophisticated x-overs L vs. R.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,160
    **UPDATE on this project? Are they complete?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 4
    heiney9 wrote: »
    **UPDATE on this project? Are they complete?

They are complete minus the trim rings around the drivers and binding post plates. I do have the CAD drawings for for the rings but no way of putting them to use at the moment.

• nooshinjohn
    edited June 3
    I just received the trim rings for the L 600s. I had them 3-D printed based upon the plan provided to me by Polk Audio. They fit well... next steps are to prep and paint them in a satin black finish to match the baffles.

zmjp3ua3gk0u.jpg
    dj3xnhc384na.jpg
    o1vbggyfp66i.jpg
    rplc420sw6lq.jpg
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• VR3
    Awesome
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 4
    Raw 3D print…

zeep7z33cph2.jpg

Almost ready for primer/paint.

gcoyocjn8ntr.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    edited June 5
    Ready for installation…

bjmds2rwn47g.jpg
    4vlof6k2htrv.jpg

Installed…

2ta3x3qqhbdy.jpg
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• VR3
    Looks legit to me
  • nooshinjohn
    6yb1mi40s4bm.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,421
    Good job!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Looks factory! Who did the printing of your don't mind me asking
  • nooshinjohn

• VR3
    Very cool
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Wow, John, those turned out nice! I'm impressed with how well you got the 3d printed rings cleaned up. Great looking finish.

What did you do for the prep and finish process?
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 6
    msg wrote: »
    Wow, John, those turned out nice! I'm impressed with how well you got the 3d printed rings cleaned up. Great looking finish.

What did you do for the prep and finish process?

I am treating them the same way I would go about prepping a model airplane kit for paint. It took a bunch of hand sanding to get the shape right, I then switched to a finer grit, then applied a thin coat of primer to make sure the shape was correct. After that, a skim coat of modeler’s putty from Tamiya was applied to the entire ring. Once that dried fully, another sanding, then a finer grit, followed by final prime, inspection and paint.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Good stuff. Your end result was well worth your efforts.

What do you think?

And are you planning on keeping these in house?

I will say, I considered the L600s back when trying to decide which Legends to go with. Ultimately went with the L800s and a pair of L200s in case I didn't like the SDA.

Have you listened to your L600s yet?
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    msg wrote: »
    Good stuff. Your end result was well worth your efforts.

What do you think?

And are you planning on keeping these in house?

I will say, I considered the L600s back when trying to decide which Legends to go with. Ultimately went with the L800s and a pair of L200s in case I didn't like the SDA.

Have you listened to your L600s yet?

No, I have not heard them yet, but I will give them a proper break-in when the time comes.i don’t expect them to come close to the L800’s, but in my room, anything is possible. It has been a fun project, which has me wondering why companies don’t offer a builder’s version of some of their products.

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,800
    Fantastic work! Looks as good or better than factory...well done.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    Great job John, they look great. Look forward to your impressions of them.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.