Assembling a pair of Legends

13»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited June 11
    Nice work not letting the cabinets go to waste.

You might be surprised how close they sound to the L800's. Be sure to toe them in and about 10-12" off the rear wall to start.

I love my L600's. They are superb. The synergy with my gear is off the charts. I was somewhat hesitant before I pulled the trigger.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,341
    7g2ahgbpww2w.jpg

huex4axwazm7.jpg

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    I’m thinking about polishing the aluminum on the binding plates. I can always paint them satin black if I don’t like the way they look.
    M16cvda8ta178.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,793
    I wonder how those plates would look in some type of lighter oiled bronze or antique brass. Somewhat in-between antique black and bronze, or the goldish hue of the text on the SDA badge on the grills. Basically in-between the light and dark colors of the grain.

Just a few ideas, satin black would also look good.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,239
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,315
    Anodized black
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    F1nut wrote: »
    Anodized black

The factory ones are powder coated

• CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 385
    edited June 16
    John, just curious if you don’t mind checking the next time you’re working on the speakers- what is the cabinet width? Specs have the speaker width listed as 13”, but I’m wondering if that’s the cabinet only, or if it includes the feet.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,501
    I am fairly certain that includes the feet
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 142
    13” is the feet of the L-600. The cabinet is 9” wide.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • CottageChz
    Thanks guys. I thought 13” for the cabinet seemed kind of chunky, especially in comparison to the Lsim705 I have. Debating on whether I should try to find a nice set of these… I guess the consensus is that Polk discontinued them, and they definitely seem hard to find at retailers now. Wanted these in walnut to be my next speakers after the 705s. Everyone on here who’s had ears on them seems to really like them.

Anyway, not trying to derail the thread, nice build John!
  • nooshinjohn
    Where do you live?

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    And what are you wearing?
    I disabled signatures.
  • CottageChz
    msg wrote: »
    And what are you wearing?

d7v83adx7hbw.jpeg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    lolol

Looking back, there was no way that joke wasn't going to backfire one way or another.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,548
    backfire and an image Borat's swim togs... just don't belong that close together.
    :#

@nooshinjohn the Legends (perhaps DIY Legends should be called Myths?*) look great.

mllo7nqsxpko.jpg

Finally ready for making some noise.

• F1nut
    backfire and an image Borat's swim togs... just don't belong that close together.
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    John, you need to paint those plates.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,501
    If you like you can mail them here and I will take them to the powder coaters and then laser etch the text on them to match OEM (as close as I can)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 17
    F1nut wrote: »
    John, you need to paint those plates.

I know… just did not want to wait longer to break them in.