Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,102
So working on designing an entry level power cable

14 awg, silver plated copper
Heavy duty ends, copper
Heavily shielded and damped, black flex exterior
Ferrite core

Overall diameter expected to be right under one inch thick and be reasonably flexible. Would consider this a component cable versus a power amp cable.

15 Amp ends

4 ft length

Estimating price would be $150 to $175 to purchase. Only cost to demo would be shipping to the next person

Any interest in trying this out and providing feedback /review?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,952
    Options
    If you're doing this in pairs I'm interested..
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,622
    Options
    All power cable sound same
  • VR3
    Options
    Pairs? Like two power cables?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited April 25
    Options
    So this will be a small run.

It will be 6 cables, approximately 3.5 ft in length.

Viborg, pure copper male and female ends (standard IEC, 15 amp)
    10 awg tin plated copper wiring, 600v rated, internally damped
    black flex finish, overall metal mesh shield with additional dampening - around .85" overall diameter
    dual ferrite rings
    finished with heavy duty 3:1 heat shrink over ends and ferrite rings

Will be $140 shipped

Depending on the feedback of those 6 in the demo rounds, I will make adjustments.

Should be ready to send out end of May. I can send a pair of cables as well if that makes the demo make more sense for folks! :)
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    edited April 25
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Viborg, pure copper male and female ends (standard IEC, 15 amp)

This sounds pretty cool. I'm down with Viborg products. I've been recently using Viborg pure copper and silver-plated copper banana plugs in my set up.

I may be interested in your demo offer as well! It sounds like you're putting together a pretty decent cable.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • VR3
    Options
    I think it will perform really well curious to hear the results and hear everyone's feedback!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Sure as long I'm in the new house and in the new dedicated room.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,952
    Options
    Pairs? Like two power cables?

Yes sir..

• VR3
    edited April 25
    Options
    Sure that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Just wanted to add this will be for established members only.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,094
    Options
    my interest is piqued . . . would deff be WAAY Mo Betta than the stock cable provided by EVS
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,977
    Options
    I'm interested. I've only bought fairly inexpensive power cables and can't say I've heard much(if any) of a difference vs. stock. Maybe my hearing has gotten to the point that I just can't tell?
    These cables will help me to learn if I indeed can hear any difference in high end cables and if I should go down that rabbit hole.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 115
    Options
    I would be interested in comparing cables. Just finishing my two Chanel set up. Picking up a new musical fidelity preamp today to replace an older NAD.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Any interest in doing 6’ cables in the near future…. Interested.

Skip
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    I’m in
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    edited May 5
    Options
    Ok, so I am still waiting on stuff but I have decided the test will Include 3 cords.

Level 1 shielding
    Level 2 shielding
    Level 3 sheilding

Level 1 cable assembled
    ja0dxag4jc6b.jpg
    qn7bn1mhewxn.jpg
    0ulzynfj7l7w.jpg
  • VR3
    edited May 5
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

Skip

For right now, I will only be making 3 ft... Ish cables but depending on the feedback, 6 ft would become an option. Just not for a demo program but I could maybe send you one in the future to give a go!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    edited May 5
    Options
    Im gonna wait for the feedback but I will prob be a customer at the end of it all.

Always good to have some extra power cords in the stable.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    Options
    For right now it's more of like a test run/fun thing to see what different techniques translate to and if someone wants to buy anything that's fine to. I think at the price point they should perform really well.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    They look thick. How flexible are they? Any issues with weight and the plug? I had an issue with some power cords weighing too much and the cords slipping out of components or vibrating loose.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • VR3
    edited May 5
    Options
    Their bend and weight is in line with what I am currently using in my system. You would need maybe 6 inches off the wall to do the first 90 from the component

I have plans for a smaller cable but want to see how this test run goes on this thicker cable and the different shielding methods.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    edited May 6
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

Skip

For right now, I will only be making 3 ft... Ish cables but depending on the feedback, 6 ft would become an option. Just not for a demo program but I could maybe send you one in the future to give a go!

Gotcha……
    Thank you.