Interest check? Power cable beta test

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    Lol, you are added to the list! I'll have these shipped off tomorrow I believe!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited June 3
    I have listened to all 3 today and for sure will ship out tomorrow.

Going east coast to west coast -

1) @muncybob
    2) @JCL
    3) @Geoff4rfc
    4) @Joey_V
    5) @maxward

Thanks everyone!

The main ask during the demo is to be mindful of date of receipt and keeping the demo period at 2 weeks.

When shipping the cables, please mimic the packaging as you received it.

When not in use, please keep the plastic caps on the plug ends.

Looking forwards to everyones thoughts!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,546
    Looking forward to it!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 142
    Should be fun and looking forward to trying them out!
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • VR3
    Dropping off tomorrow!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    They just arrived barely 10 minutes ago. The Mrs is impressed (as am I) with the build. Looking forward to listening over the next week or so.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • VR3
    Awesome!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    Where's the cotton pickin' review? We expected that early this morning!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Also forgot to mention provocative selfie with the cables are part of the deal
  • muncybob
    Remember my comment about not addicted to my phone? Not even sure how to take a selfie :)
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • treitz3
    Mods.....come on...

A family friendly forum or selective censorship of adult humor that is not obvious.....even to those who....

Nevermind. That was over the top. Care to censor a dog with a plush animal again?

Geeeez......

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    What did I miss? Lol!
  • treitz3
    Any initial impressions?

Tom
  • muncybob
    Not yet Tom. Fully intended to be well into this by now but life sidetracks me lately. Today looks to be the start of this adventure and lots of listening time this week as I'll be laid up for a bit.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 387
    I’m here for the provocative selfies

Cables look nice, Vr3, fun little activity for the forum, nice work!
  • muncybob
    Still no selfie, but I feel I should share some initial observations. Only had time to listen to some of Van Morrison's "3 Cords & The Truth". We are big VM fans from way back and this is one of his more recent works. One thing I have always noticed about his vocals is that at a certain volume he could sound a bit "edgy"...for lack of a better word. At my age that is an unwelcome distraction.

I had a bugger of a time getting the cords to fit, not exactly flexible in tight spaces but a little patience and they worked with me. I had hoped to start with using the cords on my cd player but forgot that it has a 2 prong plug. So went with the Parasound amp, in part it was a bit easier to make connections and in part because I'm not sure I ever heard much of a difference with power cords there. The VR3 cords were replacing a PS Audio Power Punch cord.

Settled in without any libations to minimize any influences :)
    Volume was just loud enough to "feel" the music but not excessive...was too lazy to dig out my meter for a reading. First listened with the Power Punch cord for reference and sure enough there were times when Van was "edgy" to my ears.

Then plugged in the more "basic" looking cord. Now, I don't understand why but, it seems that edginess was tamed a bit. If anything, I was kinda expecting the volume to seem louder and thus more shrill? Had to listen to that song again to conform what I thought I had just heard.

Now,like kid at Christmas, I jumped right to the more elaborate looking cord. The vocals are again without shrill sound and cymbal decay seemed more clear. I say seemed because I don't have the time tonight to put the 1st cord back in or the "middle" cord, tomorrow is another day.
  • VR3
    This is really cool feedback. These cables are also very fresh, less then 30 minutes each so will be curious if they will sound any different over time!

Love the initial thoughts!

Thank you
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,312
    VR3 wrote: »

Ummm the thought of me in speedos, cowboy boots and hat with your cable in my hand just doesn't work for me
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,279
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »

Ummm the thought of me in speedos, cowboy boots and hat with your cable in my hand just doesn't work for me

Well then put your girlfriend in your speedo's.......
  • VR3
    This thread gonna charge some folks up 😳
  • muncybob
    So, it's been an interesting ride thus far. I got into this try out because I've never tried different pc's back to back and probably never used cables as well engineered/put together at basically no cost to me....thanks to VR3. For what it's worth, the music sources were both analog and digital with similar impressions.

Recently read a thread where some folk indicated the furthest upstream is where you get best results when it comes to power cords, kinda made sense to me and the place that would be for me is in our preamp. So I pulled the "name plate" cable from the power amp and into the pre it went. Then I took the middle of the road cable and used that on the power amp. Then I volunteered my wife to listen to the same songs twice, one with my power cable and then with the VR3 cable in the pre.

She didn't hear what I did but made the same statement that she made when she first heard the L600s and few months ago.....the VR3 cable in the pre sounds "clearer". She also thought it sounded a touch
    higher in volume. To me the bass was more visceral...I could feel it in the arms of my chair and in my gut more so than before. She didn't hear/feel that. I agree with her "clearer" comment esp when it came to cymbals and female vocals.

Some time ago it was suggested to not use a subwoofer with the L600s, but I did anyways until recently. Now after break in I agree with that suggestion and even more so with the beefier "name plate" cord. I guess a better pc for the pre is the next addition to the rig.

The results with these cables really depended on the recordings, which is probably true most of the time,
    right? The results will most likely depend on the system and highly depend on the ears of the listener. I'm sure other people in this run likely will have different perceptions due to their rigs and hopefully don't have diminished hearing/tinnitus like I. I'll enjoy the cords another day or 2 and then onto the next lucky person.
  • VR3
    This is a great review and I love the feedback! Was there anything about the cables you did not like or would improve?

Thanks!
  • muncybob
    Only shortcoming for me was the struggle to get them into the sockets due to stiffness of the cables. For me, they would have been much easier if the end of the cord would be upside down to the other end. It was a chore twisting the one end, but I guess once they are in it's not likely I would be taking out again much, if ever.
  • VR3
    Yeah if someone is needing to rotate one end that could present a difficulty for sure.

This is something I would have to look at if I ever did a future build. I think the easiest solution would be to make the cable ever slightly longer like 1.5m

Thank you for the feedback!
  • JCL
    Received the cables today. Working on hooking everything up. Will be listening quite a bit over the weekend.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,312
    JCL wrote: »
    Received the cables today. Working on hooking everything up. Will be listening quite a bit over the weekend.

How is everything working out so far?? I'm pretty stoked to hear how it plays in my set up!!!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • JCL
    VR3 power cables.
    I received three cables for testing about 2 weeks ago.

System:
    The system I used to test is a dedicated 2 channel setup. Consisting of SDA SRS 2.3’s, Musical fidelity m6s PRE, m6sPRX, musical fidelity stealth turntable with Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Z-phono XRM, a Sony CD player, and a pioneer to play SACD’s. There is no power conditioner and I was using the stock cables for power. The interconnects are Kimber PBJ and Kimber TAC-CU for the turntable to phono stage.

Build quality:
    The VR3 cables were of 3 different configurations. One appears to be just the cable and connectors, the second appears to have a round choke of some sort at the midpoint, and the 3rd has a larger choke close to the component plug. The cables are very well built and very heavy gauge. All are approximately 41” long. Hookup for me was a little difficult due to the stiffness of the cables. They actually tipped my phono stage on its side. I consulted with VR3 and placed a weight on the phono stage and that solved the issue. That is really the only issue I had.
    iq2uu2jnvtp3.jpeg
    dydfsk75e0zg.jpeg
    lzd4xmotloq9.jpeg
    cdwbcexwjicc.jpeg

Listening:
    Once I hooked everything up I listened to many different genres. For my main comparison I used mainly Mofi records from the early 80’s a few cd’s and SACD’s. I tried to set levels to max out at 75-80 db. Initially I noticed improved bass and the sound stage seamed to have better width and depth too. The highs were crisp and clean. There also appeared to be better focus if that makes sense. I noticed much more of a change than the last demo I took part in. That could be due to the other system having a power conditioner and upgraded power cables to begin with. These cables made by VR3 made a larger difference than I had expected. I had previously had minor differences with power cables and only upgraded them because I just wanted to clean up my home theater system wiring. For this system I was just going to get a good power conditioner and some midrange cables. I’ll be purchasing the VR3 cables and then getting a power conditioner.

After I was done testing I decided to put all the stock power cords back into the system this evening to see if my impressions were correct. I left the preamp volume in the same position when I turned everything off and changed out the cables. There was a 1 db difference in the peak once I turned everything back on (81.2 VR3 vs 80.2 with stock) The system seamed to be a little less defined and than it was previously when the VR3 cables were installed. Overall I like the power cables and would recommend them. Again the only negative was the stiffness.
  • JCL
    Thanks for letting me participate in the demo!
  • VR3
    Thank you John for the write up! I will have the second set shipped out this week to next in line!

Thanks everyone
  • VR3
    So I am ordering a little bit more material. This will allow me to make 2 more standard, 1 more mid line, 1 more name plate/filtered in addition to the second set I have here.

I think this will be enough to move thru this program and be able to pass on this one time deal to anyone in the program. Once the program is complete I will assess all of the feedback and go from there. I really appreciate everyones input!

Will send tracking info to next person in line by end of week.

Thank you everyone