Assembling a pair of Legends

Options
w9mhcvhnxtpx.jpg
ylg9ss4jq6vj.jpg
nufn4kvtpbfv.jpg
adh08o95sr0f.jpg
mc0tb22hseun.jpg
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,741
    edited April 4
    Options
    Hey John, when you send the L800 plates, I'll need these dimensions to make a matching set of plates for those L600's....

qdlh4mzksaoy.jpg

Looking at pics, the L800 plates are alum. alloy...

lzh9cnysxrz3.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    Options
    You assembled the cabinets? There's no context to your post. What's happening? What's the plan? Where are the drivers?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 712
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    You assembled the cabinets? There's no context to your post. What's happening? What's the plan? Where are the drivers?

H9

Kinda what I was thinking …. What’s going on here …
    Interesting, nonetheless….

Bk

PS Audio S300 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,533
    Options
    John got a job at Polk. These photos are from training.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    Options
    Installing Phase Plugs, and foaming the baskets?? B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,142
    edited April 4
    Options
    Pictured are the crossover components of the L 600 prior to installation. The component on the left is the ATMOS module plug-in. In the center is the main crossover which feeds the tweeter in mid range of drivers, and to the right is the base module for controlling the woofers.

07r4i4nsk744.jpg

More detailed shots of the crossover…

qtokru7zttsv.jpg
    35a0dolb0pvx.jpg

bpvvkf1iwxio.jpg

And the Bass Module…cal25ji2z3hd.jpg
    1xndt9cjl19k.jpg

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    What I am most impressed with is the quality of the PCB board. It’s pretty thick and the traces on this board are very very wide, nothing thin or cheap about it.

• nooshinjohn
    edited April 4
    Options
    More images of the wires being installed in the cabinets to their locations. The first image is of the Atmos cable and its enclosure.4cqdadl5h7ji.jpg

The crossover installed in the back of the cabinet. The crossover is screwed directly to the cabinet, so there’s no chance of rattling or being knocked around. Once the installation is completed, there is a fiberfill matting that will go in front of the crossover.
    vlyxutbokeco.jpg

Polk was not kind enough to pre-drill the holes and counter-sinks in place for the bass-modules in one of the cabinets, so I am left to figure out how to get a drill inside to create a mounting spot for one of them. There is so much bracing inside that it makes for tight quarters in there. Also, the MDF these are constructed with is incredibly dense. I will just take my time on this and not rush. Rome was not built in a day, and getting these going won't happen in a day either...
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• nooshinjohn
    edited April 4
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Hey John, when you send the L800 plates, I'll need these dimensions to make a matching set of plates for those L600's....

qdlh4mzksaoy.jpg

Looking at pics, the L800 plates are alum. alloy...

lzh9cnysxrz3.jpg

Thanks... The measurements to the centers of each binding post are accurate on the L800 plate. The difference being that the plates are wider by 1/2 inch to either side of the plate's centerline.
    hmp0dag61mbn.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    edited April 4
    Options
    All of the wiring is in place just waiting for the drivers to show up at this time. I will post more when I get them.t3nodns9q81g.jpg
    2lrvi7hqza9k.jpg
    ukxrokmmfdm7.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    ...And yes, one of my pilot holes went too deep due to being distracted by my two-year old while running the Dremel... pisses me off, but at least it's on the back. I will be able to get a decent blend to fill it and it will be hardly noticed after that.

• msg
    Options
    Wow what a project. Pretty cool. Where does something like this fall percentage-wise compared to buying a pair outright?
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,126
    Options
    Back when definitive was bought by sound united they sold diy kits from the parts warehouse on ebay... Super fun at great prices

I know buying parts from Polk msrp is super expensive
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Back when definitive was bought by sound united they sold diy kits from the parts warehouse on ebay... Super fun at great prices

I know buying parts from Polk msrp is super expensive

I think this is kind of fun actually… there is a bit of pride of knowing you put them together, and a better understanding of how they work.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,126
    Options
    Absolutely, I really enjoyed the definitive kits... I'm not sure why manufactures don't offer more products like a kit
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    Options
    Returns and poor reviews after weak assembly practices? Maybe I'm losing faith in people.
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Ok, I thought maybe that's what was going on. I know you were pricing all the components and I appreciate the PM on the cost of replacement x-overs.

I decided at this time buying an extra set of L600 crossover to repopulate with upgraded parts will be too expensive at this time. Too bad I can't get a couple of blank pcb's. I am afraid of botching the originals, so I'd rather work on a 2nd pair. $238 per cross over.

Yes, document away B)

H9

P.s. I just heard from a dealer that the Legend line is being discontinued. I hope parts are available for a while.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    P.s. I just heard from a dealer that the Legend line is being discontinued. I hope parts are available for a while.

I have wondered about this for a while now, and I would love to have a set of L200's..

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    Polk website says the L200s are now only available "in store" rather than direct. It appears Masimo is handling the wind down of this line better than Sound United did with the LSiM line.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 5
    Options

I have my doubts on the parts. Trim rings are no longer available and were never stocked to begin with. Binding plates/posts are also not available. That is why I am trying like hell to get as many spares as I can, especially as Masimo is looking to dump the CA division once again. LSIM parts dried up quickly the last time Polk changed hands, and they were not able to fill warranty needs a year after they stopped making them. It might happen that way again, and I have too much tied up in the Legend series to be schitt outta luck.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• Toolfan66
    Options
    Even tho I have never had any issues with my LSiM speakers, if they do the same thing with the Reserve/Legend lines, I would probably be done purchasing any more Polk Audio Products..
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, mixed feelings on the parts availability, and I don't wanna jinx myself by making any statements, but...

How many times have responsible owners experienced component failure from general, or even spirited use, vs. damage from abuse or party accidents/cats/kids?

I've read here that the LSiM tweeters were failing. I wonder if that was across the entire production run, or just toward the end. I remember seeing that the binding posts were different on some of the later produced speakers.
    I disabled signatures.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 115
    Options
    Are the tweeters in the legends a different model than those in the reserve series and are all of the drivers different versions also?
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    JCL wrote: »
    Are the tweeters in the legends a different model than those in the reserve series and are all of the drivers different versions also?
    The tweeters and mids are supposedly the same part.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    Not sure if this has been posted before but I just noticed it. An FAQ from Polk on how to properly remove a Legend tweeter if someone wants to look around inside and compare to a Reserve tweeter:

https://support.polkaudio.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7215/~/polk-legend-series-tweeter-removal
  • heiney9
    edited April 6
    Options

I had heard like John, same parts (as well as the mid driver), different x-over and in the early Legend line a different bass port. I thought I had read recently that the later Legends had the same style/function port as the Reserve series.

It does do the brand a huge disservice to discontinue parts as soon as the line is discontinued. One of Polks long standing character was parts availability long after a line was discontinued.

Sorry, for taking this of topic. I'll start a new thread so we don't muck this one up any more. It should stay on topic since it's of interest to many people.

New thread for Legend discontinuation

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/200177/legend-line-being-discontinued/p1?new=1

H9

• msg
    Options

They're not even the same size, John. One is for tweeter holes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,115
    Options
    msg wrote: »

They're not even the same size, John. One is for tweeter holes.

Oh. It's humor. Hahahahaha...

gbwdvr7enw4g.gif
  • heiney9
    Options
    The bezels for the tweets are different, the actual parts of the tweeter are the same, IIRC.

H9