XS-Dreadnaught

Options
124»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,610
    edited March 18
    Options
    The blade on pin/blade only comes into play on non-common ground amps to connect a ground through the negative binding post path. For the dreadnought you should use it like it does pass signal.

No they do not pass SDA signal like to Blade/blade cable.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    edited March 18
    Options

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The blade on pin/blade only comes into play on non-common ground amps to connect a ground through the negative binding post path.

That would be the same as strapping the grounds on a non-common ground amp, No?

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    edited March 18
    Options
    I'm asking these questions because I have an aftermarket 14 Ft Neutrik cable with both connectors live (+and-). I will cut in half and make 2ea 7 footers. Was not clear if I only need to use just one of the Neutrik's wire circuit connected to the pins of the X-overs, whether using the Dreadnaught or not.

Thanks for you guys' input.

• xschop
    Options
    Ordered the Super-Q 15mH inductors as I found a thread or two where others did the same. Besides, my SDA's are Power-Ported :)
  • xschop
    Options
    One done. Hopefully the SBD inductors show up before the weekend and I'll drop these in the XS-8TLs, and set them sideways...

in4uuhr7yd91.jpg

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Maybe I missed it somewhere, and I apologize for the bluntness...but WTF is an XS-8TL?
    RTA-8TL? Why would RTAs need a Dreadnaught?
    Or were they some type of SDA that has been modified?
    Again, forgive my ignorance.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • xschop
    edited March 21
    Options
    XS-8TL's, soon to be SDA-XS-8TL's.

These MW's have every mod done to them, including focus rings. I have a set of 6502's with phase plugs and focus rings to go in the SDA slots....

tlzvqst38w1a.jpg

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    Interesting project. Which driver will be the SDA? Will this reduce output?
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    edited March 22
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Interesting project. Which driver will be the SDA? Will this reduce output?

6502's for the SDA's will increase midrange clarity over the 6511's (BTDT). The 6516's are also better sounding that 6510's in stereo slots (also tested this myself). These won't need any help in the bass dept; especially with the Super Q's and no PR to drive. The soundstage width is big like that of the CRS+ due to MW driver spacing, minus the often experienced tweeter strangeness because the tweeter is much closer to the stereo driver. I had these hooked up a couple of summers ago at the shop on old CRS+ crossovers (think I sent them to VSAT afterwards), brought them home, did more mods and wiring upgrades to the factory 8TL crossovers. Now it's time to see what they can do on the dreadnaught with all the upgrades.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    But how will you use the ball bearing isolators now? 😆 Looking forward to hearing your observations.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    Cap the port, cut out holes on the sides and install PR’s.. 🤣
  • xschop
    edited March 22
    Options
    The CRS+'s need their PR's side-mounted. ;)

Better yet, Power-Port your CRS's B)

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184722/rta8-tl-mod/p2
  • xschop
    edited March 25
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    They do and they don't.

The way the speakers work the signal is connected thru the negative speaker terminals, hence the requirements for a common ground amplifier

Connecting the blade to ground is redundant but I still prefer to use it

This actually was very helpful as I was able to add the Sub Bass Drive Inductor leads directly to the Neutrik terminals.

4d0s65yrhqwp.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,073
    Options
    That's what I do, makes it much cleaner on the crossover side
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    edited March 25
    Options
    It also jogged my memory when I was experimenting on those ragged-out CRS years back. IIRC, removing the SBDI rendered the SDA driver inoperable, with NO SDA and diminished bass output. Adding a jumper brought back the SDA, but still diminished bass. All the magic happens (Bass output and SDA) with the SBDI installed, because of the shared cab volume of the MW drivers.

...And the new SBDI's showed up just in time to wait for another weekend to run them....

1f1t4dbrm3vi.jpg
  • xschop
    edited April 21
    Options
    Was doing some cleaning and light touch up painting in the house and decided to try mineral spirits to remove the ball-bearing isolators. Luckily it does not damage the vinyl veneer. Takes a couple doses and the glue will rub right off...

cau8gworxz4j.jpg

12smkj9g5l2o.jpg

I thought about adding them under the amp and Dreadnaught, but wouldn't be able to turn the volume knob lol.

One thing's for sure, these are not going back to the 8TL configuration. The immense soundstage, imaging and clarity on all my classic jazz recordings renders the factory MTM configuration obsolete...

Here's a shot of the SBDI location...

4qx8fmev9l8e.jpg

• xschop
    edited April 21
    Options
    Thanks to @Conradicles generous karma I'll be setting up a DAC next weekend and won't need to use my phone's DAC. My wife streamed HD amazon music the last couple weeks, but I can tell going thru the Fire tablet, it does not have quite the resolution the LG phone Quad-DAC does.
    As an aside, I wouldn't hesitate to run a set of 2Bs with this amp and Dreadnaught combo using a 42V 8 amp power supply. I still have the 36V 6 amp power supply on these and it does not even break a sweat at LOUD levels.
    Got a little more painting to do today and some tunes to enjoy on these.

More importantly, a BIG thank you goes out to @DarqueKnight for developing this design. Class D and SDA is a beautifully detailed marriage.

j0bdltfg5ndf.jpg
    sbzk32nx1eye.jpg

I have the tweeters distanced 64" apart on their centers. This seems to reproduce the best SDA for all recordings, old and newer.

ze7tsxqi76xp.jpg

I'll have to machine 1/2" length stand-offs for the crossover mountings. The 3/4" lengths didn't provide enough bite for the 10-32 hurricane nuts...

sknawn965w9o.jpg
    Post edited by xschop on