XS-Dreadnaught

Options
245

Comments

  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    Thank you! If you could measure from the blue/violet pair to the grey/brown pair of wires. And then from the black/orange pair to the red/yellow pair of wires.

    Had to find the alligator clips...

    f92obrd9dqyd.jpg
    o5krdb048ify.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    Made some thicker and wider 6.5" insulating pads. I'll have rubber side facing all metals...

    7pigqq4nbhcw.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate the effort.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate the effort.

    Gonna make a DIY torroidal?
    Inquiring minds want to know.😎
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    Back on it...

    1dkz6fxxncyz.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    0.005 finish pass...

    wsgzqebngy7o.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    4xl3h26nviyu.jpg
    vbhdlm7oi2ec.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    edited February 2024
    Options
    xz4ykliwkdcq.jpg
    hifp9yo2wwh8.jpg
    4jmf2bjmivrx.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • This content has been removed.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    Lid time with a hand tap. Not chancing a machine tap on this guy...

    x8gn7di8lhzy.jpg
    wqaqaw6la7jc.jpg
    ipk5blpkl3dd.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    edited February 2024
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    You have been busy!!!

    Been at the shop all day. Test fitted the top and placed my cell phone in it and gave it a ring a couple times... Not a peep B)

    Will take it home and assemble, then decide how I want to mount the Neutriks.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 10,646
    Options
    Beautiful!
    The suspense is starting to get to me!

    How soft is that material, anyway? I was wondering about the section you're tapping, and whether there's potential for thread damage from the bolt?

    I gather that the thread pitch is coarse enough and the material strong enough that it won't be an issue? Not to mention won't really see frequent disassembly.

    I guess I'm just looking for a reason for you to put in a Timesert just for added industriality :DB)

    Will it be polished in the end? @bcwsrt is good at polishing metal. Real meticulous. Word is he's acid burned his fingerprints off. Can't grip anything anymore, but all his shiny metal things are pristine.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 10,646
    Options
    Side question - bolt vs screw. What're you using here, and what defines each?

    Readyyy, GO!
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    Nowadays a bolt costs less than 10 bucks. At over 20 bucks you're getting a "screw".
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • This content has been removed.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    Headed to the Ponderosa...

    l5r61oh9ihok.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 9,394
    Options
    SAE or Metric? :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    edited February 2024
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Beautiful!
    The suspense is starting to get to me!

    How soft is that material, anyway? I was wondering about the section you're tapping, and whether there's potential for thread damage from the bolt?

    I gather that the thread pitch is coarse enough and the material strong enough that it won't be an issue? Not to mention won't really see frequent disassembly.

    I guess I'm just looking for a reason for you to put in a Timesert just for added industriality :DB)

    Will it be polished in the end? @bcwsrt is good at polishing metal. Real meticulous. Word is he's acid burned his fingerprints off. Can't grip anything anymore, but all his shiny metal things are pristine.

    Assembles or Disassembles in less than 5 minutes with a single 3/16 hex wrench.

    The Neutriks I got are not full bodied like I remember, but same diameter, so wouldn't chuck up on lathe. I'll have to grind off square tabs and glue in with my favorite alloy adhesive.


    nhbq7l564l0o.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 7,810
    Options
    What size tires fit on that rim?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

    The Neutriks I got are not full bodied like I remember, but same diameter, so wouldn't chuck up on lathe. I'll have to grind off square tabs and glue in with my favorite alloy adhesive.

    Why not counter-sink them in the side and offset them at 10 and 2?

    No exposed hardware/fasteners was a goal.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • This content has been removed.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Going to be pretty cool, and heavy as hell..

    When I ship one, it'll fit in a large flat rate Priority box. Can't wait till they ask me what's in the box. B)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • This content has been removed.
  • This content has been removed.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 10,646
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Headed to the Ponderosa...
    cegy3vg0n51r.jpg
    Man, it's kind of a shame it's covered up with that spider locked away - that's a sweet piece of the build! I'd want to have a way to showcase that. I like that beefy, edgy, industrial look, and the transformer behind the spider makes for an interesting combination. Hard to characterize - it's almost like Steampunk Nouveau.

    Is this designed to be oriented vertically? Or on its side with a couple of, cough, arc-matched cradles? Buell did something similar with their underslung exhaust brackets. Could be a version of the Dreadnought case brackets Brian made for Larry a long time ago, only maybe splayed outward to boldly constrain against rolling.

    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 10,646
    edited February 2024
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Going to be pretty cool, and heavy as hell..
    When I ship one, it'll fit in a large flat rate Priority box. Can't wait till they ask me what's in the box. B)
    Bomb parts...... they love that comment....
    How To Win Friends And Get Helicoptered To Cuba, 2nd Ed., by Ivan P. Now with bonus appendices, including, How To Enjoy Being Waterboarded, and How To Toughen Your Feet For Getting Midnight Run'd.
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »
    Headed to the Ponderosa...
    cegy3vg0n51r.jpg
    Man, it's kind of a shame it's covered up with that spider locked away - that's a sweet piece of the build! I'd want to have a way to showcase that. I like that beefy, edgy, industrial look, and the transformer behind the spider makes for an interesting combination. Hard to characterize - it's almost like Steampunk Nouveau.

    Is this designed to be oriented vertically? Or on its side with a couple of, cough, arc-matched cradles? Buell did something similar with their underslung exhaust brackets. Could be a version of the Dreadnought case brackets Brian made for Larry a long time ago, only maybe splayed outward to boldly constrain against rolling.

    It sets flat and ain't topplin' nowheres.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • This content has been removed.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,811
    Options
    360÷5= 72 degress between adjacent spokes, is where they'll
    mount.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.