Anyone own a Krell 2250 or 3250?

Options

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,557
    edited March 18
    Options
    ^^^those are the aftermarket NOS from Upscale. Just now put them back in to test. The next pic are the OEM I got with the Anthem Pre 2L
  • CH46E
    Options
    Ok, put them in and right channel is much higher gain. Switched tube from left to right. Problem went with the channel. Something wrong with the upscale tubes.

To be clear, I've had them 3 years but only used them maybe 6 months before they were packed up for a divorce. I really can't blame upscale.

If I send these tubes to anyone here can you test and tell me what tune needs to be replaced????
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    If I send these tubes to anyone here can you test and tell me what tune needs to be replaced????

I've got a recently calibrated Hickok 600a tester. I'm guessing that "tune" should be tube.
  • CH46E
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I've got a recently calibrated Hickok 600a tester. I'm guessing that "tune" should be tube.

Yes... "Tubes". 😂. Was that a offer to test these for me?
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 18
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yes... "Tubes". 😂. Was that a offer to test these for me?

You get them here I'll test them
    7dj8 correct? Let me look to see if I've got the testing parameters to test. My tester was built in the 50's soo let me look at my books

Yep I have the correct parameters to test.
  • CH46E
    Options
    7dj8, yes I'm pretty sure that's them. Pm me the address and I'll get them sent to ya. Thanks man! Thank you very much!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    7dj8 PCC88 are not a standard tube. Are you sure your unit uses those? I'd do some research to see if the 7dj8 can be used in place of the 6dj8. That tube structure looks a bit foreign. But again, I've never had gear that used the 6dj8 so I am not an expert like with 12A*7 type tubes.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • CH46E
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    7dj8 PCC88 are not a standard tube. Are you sure your unit uses those? I'd do some research to see if the 7dj8 can be used in place of the 6dj8. That tube structure looks a bit foreign. But again, I've never had gear that used the 6dj8 so I am not an expert like with 12A*7 type tubes.

H9

I don't recall (the research I would have done at the time) when I got them. But I'm 99.9999 % sure I made sure they were compatible. And IIRC they came recommended by Upscale for this pre amp.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    The 6922, 6dj8, 7dj8, e88cc are all frame grid tubes, they will not sound as warm as a 6sn7. They are a very linear tube but were not designed for audio, the were designed as a uhf/vhf oscillator,and have a tendency to go microphonic.
  • CH46E
    Options
    I have some nice nos 6SN7s. Is there any reason I should not try this?

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/6sn7-to-6922-adapter

asa8h6riouss.png
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    The 6sn7 has needs twice as much heater current than the 7DJ8, but it can work in some cases. You have to find out if the pre you are using can handle the heater current. The operating points won't be ideal, but that doesn't mean it won't sound better to your ear. Don't do if your pre can't handle the heater current.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Actually, I think I asked this years ago and there was a whole thread on it. Lol. I'll go back and search.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Glad it worked out well, and glad I was wrong.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    edited March 21
    Options
    I just placed an order for 4 new 6922 Gold Pin Electro-Harmonix from Upscale. They claim these are a great fit for the Sonic Frontiers as they are a bit relaxed in the top end. I hope they give me the sound I'm looking for.

cscrgj433gn9.png
    0qdrwefw0owt.png
  • CH46E
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    The number of wires shouldn't matter. A rca jack only has 2 potential conductors to my knowledge. You could connect as many wires as you want to those conductors

Here are some pics of the pre amp RCA soldered to the board.

I've got it cranked up right now. The roofer's nail guns are driving me and the dog crazy. They should be done soon!

wi5dnp2h7qnr.jpg
    9a255m4jldg9.jpg
    10e2zqroscqp.jpg
    bhq4if84y5x0.jpg
  • CH46E
    edited March 22
    Options
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 22
    Options
    Most of those pins are for mounting to PCB. Straight or vertical RCA PCB blocks exist. The trick is finding them to fit the PCB hole spacing.

psbpb7j4id4c.png

28uz0prs8v1n.png

tehus2zx83u6.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • CH46E
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Most of those pins are for mounting to PCB. Straight or vertical RCA PCB blocks exist. The trick is finding them to fit the PCB hole spacing.

psbpb7j4id4c.png

28uz0prs8v1n.png

tehus2zx83u6.png

Thanks. You would think a local repair guy with a stellar reputation would have known this. 🤔

I called him about a refoam of 4 rare 10 inch infinity drivers. Says he has the foams in stock. Makes me wonder how old or long they been sitting in his shop. Think I'll pass.
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 22
    Options
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • CH46E
    Options

Thanks man. My soldering skills are mediocre. I'll rip into some crossovers NP. But I don't want to mess up a nice pre amp. I'll find a pro that can handle this for sure. May have to drive to Orlando, Jacksonville or West Palm Beach area since I've lost faith in the local guy.
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 23
    Options
    A solder sucker or desoldering gun would be a must to prevent ripping the traces off while removing them. I use a Hakko FR 301. Interchangeable tips, adjustable temp and trigger to activate vacuum.

sb7jnugvrv8h.jpg
  • CH46E
    Options
    A solder sucker or desoldering gun would be a must to prevent ripping the traces off while removing them. I use a Hakko FR 301. Interchangeable tips, adjustable temp and trigger to activate vacuum.

sb7jnugvrv8h.jpg

I've got a pretty decent soldering rig with several de soldering pens or suckers. What ever they are called. Lol. You are probably going to end up convincing me to try it my self. Lol. I'll have to find some junk electronic to practice on.
  • CH46E
    Options
    I'm going after work to pick these up. Mint condition and a 25 min drive for $150.00. I've read good things about them and I'm a sucker for bookshelf speakers. At least with these there should be no need for a sub.
    JBL S38Be

gbb6laiktxzt.png
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited March 23
    Options
    I've had the S38's before in my workshop. They sound pretty darn good and will take a pounding without blowing up.
  • CH46E
    Options
    So far I'm impressed with hard much harder I can push many of my speakers with this Krell amp over the Hafler. Even though the Hafler had considerably more power. I'm very much liking some things about this Krell.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Chris are you switching the RCA input because they are slightly small and do not grab your cables?