Options

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited February 2
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Kex wrote: »
    I’m not convinced that there’s any other equally extreme Motorsport.

Uhhhhh....WRC?

Oh, wait, you said "equally extreme".

Yeah, I'll agree there.

WRC is WAY more extreme!

The racing itself might be more extreme, but F1 cars are definitely more extreme with respect to combined HP, downforce, cornering ability, acceleration, and cost per vehicle. An apples to oranges comparison really. IMO, the most extreme racing is that dang Isle of Man TT. That stuff is bat$hit crazy.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Uhhhhh....WRC?

Yeah, I'll agree there.

WRC is WAY more extreme!

You’re not wrong! 😂

I think the top speeds experienced, and G forces exerted on F1 drivers, are probably higher though.

The fastest I’ve ever driven is 100 mph (where it was legal, and on a freeway) and even at that speed, it takes intense concentration to focus on what all the other drivers on the road are doing that might cause a problem. It does help when the car you are driving gives you confidence in braking and handling prowess.

My steed was a Mercedes-Benz 300CE coupé. A fabulous vehicle that just purrs at 100 mph as if it’s going on a picnic. The speed itself is not a problem for the car. It was designed for that. It’s really the potential for problems if another driver does something unexpected because they didn’t check their rear view mirror or use their turn signal. 😬
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    We’ve already decided to take my kid that is really passionate about F1 to the Porsche Experience in L.A. once he gets his license (soon). We want him to experience the simulators and the cars on a track. I’m expecting to join him for my own driving education as to what a car is truly capable of in a controlled environment.

Porsche Driving Experience

I also expect to take him to an F1 event if he’s still into that in a year or two. Maybe for his 21st birthday, and probably one of the European events, in the VIP lounge.
    Alea jacta est!
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,135
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »

Uhhhhh....WRC?

Yeah, I'll agree there.

WRC is WAY more extreme!

The racing itself might be more extreme, but F1 cars are definitely more extreme with respect to combined HP, downforce, cornering ability, acceleration, and cost per vehicle. An apples to oranges comparison really. IMO, the most extreme racing is that dang Isle of Man TT. That stuff is bat$hit crazy.

My dad took me to the IoM TTs when I was a kid and I went later when in my 20s. It was crazy enough then when they were going speeds nowhere near what they do now. Mike Hailwood won. When I went with my dad the Ferrari wouldn't start and the VIP lounge was closed.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    We’ve already decided to take my kid that is really passionate about F1 to the Porsche Experience in L.A. once he gets his license (soon). We want him to experience the simulators and the cars on a track. I’m expecting to join him for my own driving education as to what a car is truly capable of in a controlled environment.

Porsche Driving Experience

I also expect to take him to an F1 event if he’s still into that in a year or two. Maybe for his 21st birthday, and probably one of the European events, in the VIP lounge.

We were all set to take my kids to the Montreal Grand Prix this past year, tickets purchased and hotel booked. The wildfires and smoke put an end to those plans.

I was really excited to get them to an event, but when were scheduled to be arriving, the air quality was horrible and no expectation of it improving. I wasn't willing to expose my kids to that, so we cut our losses and called it off.
  • Kex
    Options
    From the official F1 app:
    Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton sat down for breakfast in Wolff’s home in Oxford, UK, on Wednesday morning. The meeting had been in the diary for a while, pencilled in as their annual get-together.

Typically, this catch-up acts as their first face-to-face meeting after parting ways to head off for winter break and recharge ahead of the following season. They would then discuss their year ahead. But as Wolff said on Friday – speaking for the first time since the news broke that Hamilton was leaving after more than a decade to join Ferrari for 2025 – this breakfast turned out to be very different.

“What happened is that we got together for coffee in my place in Oxford, with him returning to the factory [this week], and he said to me that he has decided to race for Ferrari in 2025,” said Wolff. “That was basically it and we had a good hour of conversation and this is where we are.”

Wolff didn’t try to hide the fact he was surprised by the news. After all, Wolff said they were “very aligned” when they headed off on holidays last winter.

Even when he heard rumours a few days before, it didn’t trouble him too much as he admitted he was happy to wait until their prearranged meeting to discuss.

“In a way, Formula 1 and my previous life have made me imperious to surprises,” said Wolff. “I’ve been confronted so many times in my life with black swans that it was a surprise, but we went open-eyed into this phase of our relationship. We knew that it could be a year, it could be two; we knew that it would come to an end at the latest the end of 2025.

“The surprise was that I heard the rumours a couple of days earlier, but I wanted to wait for the breakfast we had planned. This is when he broke the news.

“But you know with me you can be very straightforward, because I’m straightforward too, so once he said: ‘this is what I’m trying to do’, that was the fact and I didn’t try to convince him otherwise, but just looking forward: ‘OK, what are we doing about communications? What’s the timing? How do we protect the team best? And how do we protect this 2024 year to be successful together with our two drivers without causing too much awkwardness?’”

Wolff and Hamilton became friends very quickly in their 12-year-long professional relationship, so you imagine it will have hurt the Mercedes team boss that his star driver wanted a break-up. Wolff, though, said it didn’t because he needed “to keep calm” and manage the 2024 season. His executive mindset kicked in.

“When he told me first, my next thought was pragmatic, what does it mean? When are we communicating this? What are the pressure points? How are we managing this season going forward, and what is it we are going to do in terms of driver line-up,” he said.

“That was the mind, the Mercedes, the team’s mind, kicked in. Now, having slept a few nights on it, it means that our professional journey comes to an end, working together, but it doesn’t mean that our personal relationship ends.
    “I’ve found a friend, we’ve built a relationship over the last 10 years, and he faced a very, very difficult situation, taking a decision of where to drive, maybe for the first time since 10 years without being able to brainstorm with me. And therefore, I will always respect the difficulty of the situation that he faced. And in the future, we will discuss whether this could have been done in a different way or not. But I hold no grudge.”

When Mercedes came to renew Hamilton’s contract, there were differences in what each side wanted. Hamilton is understood to have been keen for a three-year deal, Mercedes wanted to offer only one to keep their options open.
    They knew that, at some point, they would have to switch Hamilton out to bring the next generation in. So, they agreed on a one plus one contract, a guaranteed year with options on both sides to extend it into the next season. It was a risky approach, but one that made sense given what Mercedes was trying to manage.

“When we decided Lewis and us to go for a short-term contract, we knew why we were doing it,” said Wolff. “It is to leave him options open and at the same time us. It’s an exciting situation at the end of 2024 with some drivers becoming available, others just signed a few weeks ago (Charles Leclerc extended with Ferrari and Lando Norris did the same with McLaren) so these ones would have been opportunities.

“If it was six weeks earlier, there would have been more opportunities, but it is what it is. But in 2025 and beyond, the driver market is very interesting and we need to look out to the future. Who is it that we can partner with George? What’s the best combo? What’s the best combination? And I think in terms of the drivers who could hopefully join, that could join, there are a variety of options. At that stage, I wouldn’t want to commit to 'this is when we’re going to do it'. I want to take my time.”
    Alea jacta est!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,695
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    We were all set to take my kids to the Montreal Grand Prix this past year.

I went to that race in 1999. :)
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited February 2
    Options
    Waiting for the next season of Drive to Survive this month. My wife even likes it.
    My daughter-in-law has never been interested in racing and she started watching it several years ago and has become a big F1 fan along with my son. They went to the Austin COTA race last year along with my 2 grand children. She also got a turntable last year. I kid her about now liking racing and spinning vinyl as she knows I like both.
    I hope Ferrari has better team management than in the past as I'm sure Hamilton won't put up with mistakes like has happened in past seasons. I know they got a new team principle last season which seemed to improve management of races.
    Kex if you think 100 mph feels fast in a car, you should do 90 mph in a go kart a few inches above the ground. I have driven a car 145-150 mph and the kart felt much faster.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Kex
    edited February 2
    Options
    Yeah… I’m not that brave @Milito! 🤣

It’s not that it feels fast per se. I’m just very aware of the potential for catastrophe if another driver does something unexpected. Surviving a crash at 100 mph is not a given.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Milito
    Options
    I did it when there was no traffic on the road in the late 60's. Much more traffic there now.

I was 10 years old when I did that in the go kart.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    edited February 2
    Options

I'll disagree with you there. While I take nothing away from F1 racing, Moto GP is pretty intense but they are on 4 stroke engines. Prior to the displacement change, the bikes were 500cc 2 strokes.

There were only handfuls of men that could ride those bikes at championship levels

6sioxdci1l9o.png

Fellow Texan, Kevin Schwantz..RGV 500 Suzuki

zigccqzpgzwt.png

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Milito
    Options
    IMO it takes bigger balls to ride fast on 2 wheels than on 4 wheels.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    IMO it takes bigger balls to ride fast on 2 wheels than on 4 wheels.

While I have no racing experience on 4 wheels to validate that statement, one of my old racing buddies just recently asked me, "Dude, remember when we used to use wheelbarrows to carry our balls when we walked through the pits?"

Lol, true statement :D

Incidentally, my friend is now a cage fighter, I think he's still using a wheelbarrow
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Kex
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

I'll disagree with you there. While I take nothing away from F1 racing, Moto GP is pretty intense but they are on 4 stroke engines. Prior to the displacement change, the bikes were 500cc 2 strokes.

There were only handfuls of men that could ride those bikes at championship levels

I was more thinking of four wheel vehicles. 😜

I’ve ridden bikes, but more for touring than racing, so I really can’t express an opinion on that aspect. Love the photos you’ve been posting on occasion. 🤩

Alea jacta est!
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

I was more thinking of four wheel vehicles. 😜

I’ve ridden bikes, but more for touring than racing, so I really can’t express an opinion on that aspect. Love the photos you’ve been posting on occasion. 🤩

Ahh, well that being said, I believe F1 is the epitome of 4 wheel racing. I'd love to hop in the seat of an Indy car....and show off my lack of skills :D

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    H1 Unlimited hydroplane racing is more dangerous than Formula 1 (F1) racing.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    H1 Unlimited hydroplane racing is more dangerous than Formula 1 (F1) racing.
    Because the brakes suck
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Milito
    Options
    I forgot which NASCAR driver drove a F1 car 3-5 years ago. He said the thing that impressed him the most wasn't the cornering or how fast it was, it was the brakes and how fast it would slow down.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    edited February 3
    Options
    I've got two Mercedes. Well actually Jeeps when they were owned by them. My GC has a Mercedes 3.0L diesel. That thing is bad A$$!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    I forgot which NASCAR driver drove a F1 car 3-5 years ago. He said the thing that impressed him the most wasn't the cornering or how fast it was, it was the brakes and how fast it would slow down.

I would use dual carbon brake pads by Scandinavian brake systems, also known as SBS but commonly known in the pits as Stop B i t c h Stop. Never any brake fade. Those were by far the best pads I ever used. They would haul my liter bike down from 185 to 120 in the blink of an eye.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options

That was Jeff Gordon in 2003, 21 years ago.

"I stepped on the brakes the first time and the blood rushed out of my head," Gordon said.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Milito
    Options
    LOL, didn't realized it was that long ago.

Here's another one.

https://youtu.be/86lQaRq5N4U?si=FUToWWFBJQ-q3kmX
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Back when F1 cars sounded like F1 cars.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Options
    Okay Grandpa! 🙃 😜
    Alea jacta est!
  • Milito
    edited February 3
    Options
    I've been watching F1 races since Phil Hill won the World Championship in the 60's, the first American to do so. The F1 cars today don't sound near as good as cars several decades ago.
    https://youtu.be/qvWxhhi0_yk?si=mrRWNd76qU1CwGBq

I hope you don't think a current F1 car sounds better.
  • Kex
    Options
    Honestly have no clue, as I’ve never heard either IRL, so I’m not going to offer an uninformed opinion.

I was just teasing F1nut for once, to thank him for all the LOL’s he sends my way. What can I say? I love the guy, and it’s clearly mutual, since I make him laugh out loud so much! 🤣
    Alea jacta est!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,762
    Options
    This will be interesting for sure. Red Bull obviously has something figured out, Verstappen just flat out walks away from the start, every drag race to the 1st turn belongs to him.

I don't think Hamilton can put his foot down any harder than anyone else in that regard. Hamilton can drive the wheels off his car, but the Mercedes just can't keep up now. Not saying Verstappen isn't a great driver, definitely man and machine.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Personally, I always liked the sound of Champ Cars better.

And by Champ Cars, I mean the C.A.R.T. cars, not the abomination Indy Cars that are running around now thanks to Tony George

They're like a cross between F1 and WRC. All the open cockpit, high downforce, open wheel goodness with the snarling, turbocharged rasp of a 2.5-2.8L V8 running 35+ pounds of boost. Unless it was that Buick V6, that just sounded like a lawnmower on BEAN-O.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3fSQxDEQ6Y

Buick V6 noises
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZRzFdb_0QI

Not nearly as nice as the V8.

I mean, c'mon! Listen to that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_nRZduchU

It's like "C’était un Rendez-vous Paris" that I could listen to all day! It's just a film from a camera mounted on the bumper of a 450 SEL 6.9 but the "soundtrack" is a 275GTB and that high strung, narrow angled, carbureted V12 just sings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL6fbi0ysQ0

And yeah, new F1 doesn't sound nearly as good as old F1 and even older F1.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options

OH YEAH...and the MotoGP bike takes it....although Pedrosa never took a MotoGP championship he was still a bad a s s. I wonder how they'd fare on a road course....unless the bike was out in front, I'd be wary of going through turns with cars around me.....