😮 F1 — Hamilton Leaving Mercedes for Ferrari! 😱

13»

Comments

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,356
    Jstas wrote: »

This track looks a lot like Laguna Seca, complete with the "corkscrew"
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 7,010
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

This track looks a lot like Laguna Seca, complete with the "corkscrew"

Monterey = Laguna Seca
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    They were all smoking crack to think they would beat the bike, I sure thought the E-van would go faster that it did but it still hauled azz.
    I had a friend that went from BMX racing to Drag bikes, his bike was CRAZY fast and he was 100% nuts, it was a good combination.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    I was at the San Jose Champ Car race years back with my friend Beardog (R.I.P.). The Champ cars were running around practicing when all of sudden I heard something much different on the track and immediately recognized the sound of a V12 F1 car. It really made the Champ cars look and sound less than. The F1 car was there as a promo.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    Eh, to each his own.

I like CART sound and despite being considered "backwoods American" because CART did high speed ovals, they were still extremely technologically advanced cars. Back then aero was a thing in F1 but people talked about the supposed "urban legend" that an F1 car could drive upside down. F1 denied it but nobody ever asked CART and a Champ Car produced twice as much downforce as the cars weighed so given adequate run up to get enough speed to create that downforce, a Champ Car could drive successfully on an inverted track.

But, it also made them dangerous because a CART car could pull over 5.5G's in a turn and there was a big deal at a race where CART cars were running the 1.5 mile oval at Texas Speedway at over 230 MPH and pulling 5.5+ G's making drivers have issues with equilibrium, vision and reaction times. That was a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5dsuYZCZJ0

Especially when they were breaking 240 MPH at Indy that same year.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    Oh, also, Laguna Seca is in Monterey County, California which is where Monterey, California is.

Laguna Seca Raceway is where the Monterey Grand Prix is held. It was one of the marquee races of the CART schedule being the premier road course event for CART like the Indy 500 was the premier circle track event for CART. The Monterey Grand Prix was CART's Monaco.

The Monterey Grand Prix is still held and IndyCar is the sanctioning body behind it now.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,194
    edited February 5
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,449
    edited February 5
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I wonder how they'd fare on a road course.....

If they were to mix in some turns, the F1 car would eat the motorcycle’s lunch - it wouldn’t even be close. The F1 has TONS (literally) of downforce, and a HUGE advantage in tire/pavement contact area…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    edited February 5
    There's a video out showing exactly that.

Edit: Here it is.
    https://youtu.be/thXcT6_MRzc?feature=shared
    Post edited by F1nut on

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    Yep those F1 cars can turn on a dime and give you 6 cents change.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,143
    F1nut wrote: »
    I was at the San Jose Champ Car race years back with my friend Beardog (R.I.P.). …

I still have his JoLida 1301 in my inventory somewhere… had a great discussion about it with him before purchase.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,356
    There's a video out showing exactly that.

Edit: Here it is.
    https://youtu.be/thXcT6_MRzc?feature=shared

That was an amazing video, ENJOYED it. Loved the banter between the two racers, the antics, the fun.....

I was impressed by how much carbon fiber was on the F1, it looked like the entire front end was made up of carbon fiber.

It brought back some memories for sure. I even noticed something I don't believe anyone else would unless they've experienced it. When Guy had David start the bike, Guy covered the rear wheel with his boot, and again when David revved it. When the bike is cold and on the stands with the tire warmers in place, even in neutral, the primary gear will rotate the chain. Best case scenario, the warmer plug will pull out of the socket, worse case (happened to me) the electrical cord will break. Easy enough fix, just wired it back together.

And without sounding too forward, I think I'd have done better on the brake test. Guy spoke of modulating the brake lever to keep the rear wheel from coming up too far to keep from getting spit over the top....nah. I once had a fellow racer tell me after a race that I should put my sponsor decals under my bike, he saw what Kind of shock I was running when I passed him on the brakes :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • F1nut
    I was impressed by how much carbon fiber was on the F1, it looked like the entire front end was made up of carbon fiber.
    The entire body skin is carbon fiber as are the suspension parts, seat, wing, etc.

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    In other news of a technical nature, some may not be aware that the current generation of engines are merely 1.6L hybrid V6 turbo units. It’s incredible to see the performance they are able to achieve. 230 mph top speed, and 6G cornering force from 1,000 hp.
    Not since the heady days of the turbo-charged 1980s have power figures of quite this level been produced by F1 engines – not even by the highly developed 3-liter V10s that were last used in 2005. These peaked at around 950bhp.

So for hybrid power units – PUs – to be surpassing those figures despite having internal combustion engines of only 1.6-litre capacity, a fuel-flow restriction of 100kg/hr, a race fuel limit of 105kgs and strict limitations on the number of replacement parts that can be used without incurring penalties (thereby forcing manufacturers to compromise outright performance for the sake of increased reliability), is truly remarkable.

Here’s how…

At the heart of the matter is a 1.6-litre V6 internal combustion engine (ICE). This is what most would still regard as a conventional racing engine: fuel in; mixed with air (via a turbocharger spinning at up to 125,000rpm) and ignited with a high-performance spark plug.

So far, so conventional, but these ICE units are now incredibly advanced, representing a pinnacle of what’s known about a long-established motor technology. For example, the fuel-air mixture inside the cylinders is more homogenous than it has ever been – ie the mixture of fuel and air is more ‘complete’, allowing the burn inside each cylinder to be cleaner, more efficient and to produce more power for a given amount of fuel.

The ignition procedure itself is far more sophisticated than anything used outside F1: rather than the spark plug being placed inside the combustion chamber, they’re housed in a separate pre-ignition chamber, where the spark lights three percent of the fuel-air mix. This produces a ‘flame jet’ that ignites the remaining 97 percent of the mix, resulting in a fuller ‘burn’ – ie more power and more efficiency.

Revving to a capped 15,000 rpm (way lower than the 20,000rpm peaks of the 2.4-litre V8 units that preceded hybrids), the ICEs produce in the region 700bhp of the total PU output, though the four F1 engine manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault, and Honda guard accurate figures closely.

The remaining 300-or-so bhp is produced by two electric motors attached to the ICE and working in harmony with it.

The first of these is the so-called MGU-K – the kinetic energy recovery unit. In simplistic terms, this ‘harvests’ energy produced under braking that would otherwise be lost. Under braking, the motor-generator acts via a flywheel to generate electricity, which is then stored in a 20kg lithium-ion battery housed within the PU. When the MGU-K is used ‘in reverse’ – as a motor – it can contribute up to a regulated maximum of 120kW of power – equivalent to 160bhp.

The second motor-generator unit – the MGU-H – converts heat energy into electricity, to be deployed in a similar way – at the driver’s command via his right foot and throttle.

The MGU-H is located between the turbine and compressor of the turbocharger, on top of the V6 engine. When exhaust gases spin the turbine, they also ‘spin up’ the MGU-H, via a shaft that connects the turbine and compressor. This produces electricity, also stored in the battery. Under acceleration, the electricity is used in part to help eliminate turbo lag, by spinning the compressor in addition to the flow of exhaust gases over its blades. The energy that can be harnessed by the MGU-H is not restricted, as it is for the MGU-K.

Working in unison these three motors and an energy store (battery) represent by far the most complex – and expensive – ‘engines’ ever used in Formula 1. They’re also, however, dramatically more efficient than any ever used in the sport. Comparably powerful 3.0-litre V10 engines of the early noughties had fuel-flow rates of more than 190kg/hr – so they were burning an awful lot more ‘juice’ to produce their grunt.

Now, thanks to complex but deftly integrated hybrid technology and further gains in internal combustion efficiency, even greater outputs are being achieved from little more than half that fuel flow.

Link to Source

Alea jacta est!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    edited February 8
    I forgot what year it was, but some of the F1BMW qualifying engines were producing approx 1300 hp. They were only good for qualifying for 1 lap as they wouldn't last at that power output.

OK. I found the article: https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/14/f1-most-powerful-car-brabham-bmw-turbo-1400-bho/

also: https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/04/14/30-years-go-bmw-built-1350-hp-engine-formula-1-cars/
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 7,010
    When I saw Frédéric Vasseur today, I thought Ron Dennis had sold McClaren and took a job with Ferrari. :o

i2j409q2y3g1.jpg

9ss8iywcdg1d.jpg

• Kex
    Lewis Hamilton wins British Grand Prix at Silverstone for a RECORD ninth time. Nobody else has ever won nine times at the same circuit.

A prescient decision to pit for soft tires one lap ahead of race leader Lando Norris as the track dried sealed the deal. Norris exited the pits after a slower than usual stop, rejoining the race behind Lewis. Verstappen, in third place, made a bold decision to go for hard tires for the final laps, which allowed him to catch and overtake Norris, but he wasn’t able to catch Lewis.

More here: Lewis Hamilton takes record ninth victory at British GP
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    Get in there, Lewis.

He's going to rue the day he decided to leave Mercedes.

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    Get in there, Lewis.

He's going to rue the day he decided to leave Mercedes.

Yes he is, Ferrari can’t seem to hire a competent strategist to save their lives
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Kex
    I won’t pontificate as I’m not an expert on the subject, but Ferrari have more constructor championship wins than ANY other stable at 16. Twice as many as the second place Williams (9), or third and fourth place Mercedes and McLaren (8 each).

Yes, twice as many times. Most recently with Michael Schumacher.

Pictured is Lewis Hamilton who won his first championship driving for McLaren in 2008, but Ferrari still won the constructor’s championship that year.

et01slss639m.jpeg

Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    P.S. Ferrari won every single year from 1999 to 2008, except 2005 and 2006.

I’m sure the dedicated fans know the answer to this, but who do you think won in those two years?
    Yes, none other than Renault! Now competing as Alpine.
    Alea jacta est!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    I agree it’s a big mistake for Lewis to leave Merc. They’re finally getting their act together and now he’s leaving for a team who hasn’t done anything in 15 years.
  • Kex
    Oh hey there @AsSiMiLaTeD! 👋

Where have you been? 🤨
    Alea jacta est!