What SDAs do you own.

Options

Comments

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Some pretty interesting results so far.

The SDA 1's and 2's are definitely in the lead, with the 2.3TL and the 1.2TL having a surprisingly high amount as well.

Doesn't seem like there are as many of the non-TL SRS's as there are SRS TL's...that's kind of surprising.

Were the original SRS's produced for a shorter amount of time than the TL's?

Lots of CRS's too. I think eventually my ending point with SDA's will be a pair of modded SDA 1C's, and a pair of either SDA 2B's or CRS+'s with the TL mods.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,833
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The SDA 1's and 2's are definitely in the lead, with the 2.3TL and the 1.2TL having a surprisingly high amount as well.

The SDA 1's and 2's are far cheaper than the 2.3TL and the 1.2TL, so it's not surprising that more folks would own them, IMO.
    Doesn't seem like there are as many of the non-TL SRS's as there are SRS TL's...that's kind of surprising.

Were the original SRS's produced for a shorter amount of time than the TL's?

Both were produced for about 2 years. From my experiences, the SDA SRS seem to have been abused more for some reason and may be why there are less of them around.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited November 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The SDA 1's and 2's are far cheaper than the 2.3TL and the 1.2TL, so it's not surprising that more folks would own them, IMO.

I don't find it surprising either...what I meant to say, is that it's surprising that the 2.3TL and 1.2TL would be more common than some of the lesser lines...such as the CRS's and the SRS 2's.

I guess most people either went for the more entry level SDA's(1's and 2's)...or went all out for the big boys. Surprising that the mid-level SDA's don't have as much of a showing.

The 3.1TL's don't seem to be quite as common either.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • mr_natural
    mr_natural Posts: 2
    edited December 2009
    Options
    2B's for 19 yrs...and still happy!
  • backsigns
    backsigns Posts: 87
    edited December 2009
    Options
    SDA-2 since '86
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2009
    Options
    2nd owner 2As stone stock with the exception of the sl-2000 I had to replace, thanks doro
  • JohnLocke88
    JohnLocke88 Posts: 1,150
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I have owned SDA-1s, SDA-2s and currently own SDA CRS+ (looking forward to doing a TL mod when I get some time over winter break.)
  • nacam
    nacam Posts: 56
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Minty SDA SRS 1.2TL's with RD0 Tweeter upgrade, stock XOvers. It's in my will to be buried in one of them and my wife in the other right next to me (although she doesn't know it yet). :-)
    2 Channel Basement Setup:
    PC With M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 Card
    Rotel RC-1070
    Rotel RB-1090
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL (1991) w/RD0-198 Tweeters.
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited December 2009
    Options
    1.2's upgraded with rdo - 194's and Ben upgraded Xover and the 3.1tl's with Ben upgraded Xovers but currently running the stock tweeters. Ben did a great job on the Xovers they sound wonderful.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I have a pair of 2Bs that I recently did the TL mod on. They sound so much better after the mod it's amazing! That SL2000 being gone is like getting rid of a shrieking woman screaming at the upper octaves of her lousy voice (this is not to be offesive to any women, no really) and is soooo much better.

I recently got a pair of 3.1TLs and am in the process of redoing the caps/resistors, binding posts, and SDA cable for them.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • GaryW
    GaryW Posts: 60
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Added to my collection SDA SRS 1.2TL's with RD0 Tweeter upgrade.

Gary
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I don't find it surprising either...what I meant to say, is that it's surprising that the 2.3TL and 1.2TL would be more common than some of the lesser lines...such as the CRS's and the SRS 2's.

I think the larger SRS's more often fall victim to "wife acceptance factor". I have also seen quite a few SDA ads from sellers who just didn't want the appearance of huge speakers in their room anymore.

Some, maybe even a lot of, people, after being dazzled by what they heard in a dealer's showroom, could never get the larger SRS's to sound "right" in the smaller rooms at their homes.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Modded TL series SDA's put a whole lot of vintage and newer speakers, including the LSi's to shame. I had to get into the $30,000+ range to find a speaker that impressed me enough to even consider purchasing and it still didn't have that SDA magic.

Shhhhh....we don't want that to get out and drive up SDA prices.

I have:

SDA SRS 1.2TL (hot rodded)
    SDA SRS (hot rodded)
    3 pairs of SDA CRS+ (all hot rodded with TL mod)

Previously owned:

2 pairs of SDA 1C's (One stock, one hot rodded)
    SDA 1B (hot rodded)
    SDA 2B (stock)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • v8juice
    v8juice Posts: 3
    edited December 2009
    Options
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Started my SDA quest in September w/the 2Bs. Two months later, scored the 1Cs and big dawgs in the same week. I have SDA fever and there's no cure!

- SDA 2B:)
    - SDA 1C;)
    - SDA SRS 1.2TL:D

Upgrades planned for the 1Cs and TLs...
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,018
    edited December 2009
    Options
    :rolleyes:..NICE collection already.;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • wingzam
    wingzam Posts: 201
    edited January 2010
    Options
    1B's,I actually don't know how good they can sound because i'm in a studio apartment.I got them for $140 and like their monolithic appearance,reminds me of 2001 A Space Odyssey.I wonder what evolutionary jump the apemen would have made if these were in the movie playing Pink Floyd Welcome To The Machine?!
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I picked up 1C's about a month ago, and am enjoying every second! Still waiting to post pics, but will soon.

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited January 2010
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    SDA-SRS 2's

I forgot to update (although I can't update my vote), about 5 days after my original post above I added a pair of stock SDA 2B's (with intentions to do the TL mod) to my obession, er uh compulsion, no wait-- uh, er collection--yeah that's it :rolleyes:.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • kylejsda
    Options
    Okay after reading this extensive and extremely detailed list I have one pair of circa 1987 SDA CRS single tweeter speakers with the original stands boxes paperwork etc and the apartment I was living in dropped power, at that time I was driving six speakers unfortunately I dropped one tweeter out of one CRS and one woofer "outside' (not that it matters) I had/have owned these SDA crss for 25 years I heard them originally in 1987 I bought them in 1997 and have pushed them with some pretty serious power over the years I have heard that the tweeters are prone to blowing that is not my experience, I pushed them Way beyond their power rating and have only experienced pure Bliss and the output and my enjoyment of them the reason I blew one six and a half and one tweeter is I simply ran out of power I was in an apartment that had 15 amp total and I out drove the apartment not them fire nor the speakers,
    I know I have overstated this whole thing but I'm in need of a single or a pair of tweeters circa 1987 to 1989 single polydome from the stacrs first series with the single tweeter and if someone has a pair of six and a half from the same era I would also be interested in those I can work with one single Tweeter for right now if that's all that's available but at the right price I'm willing to buy all four two tweeters and two six and a half all matching from the same area as I do own the matching 1989 circa rears that I heard as a surround sound type situation in a local high-end shop here in Duluth Minnesota in 1987. If anyone can help me out let me know email me at kjjoki2021@gmail.com. I'm willing to pay a fair price for a known good Twitter as I am a connoisseur of this particular pair of speakers obviously I have never dabbled in others I have only doubled in power for them I am a true Polk fan and do not want to upgrade or in any other way screw with Matthew polks original idea of what was perfect in his mind at that point as I believe in him and his vision and I absolutely love the sound (which is the only reason I would ever consider replacing both tweeters and both six and a halfs) or all four if necessary to bring me back to what I once loved and it's been about 6 years since the travesty of this underpowered situation happened and I want to rectify as soon as possible and what a Christmas present it would be. Thank you for your consideration and thank you for accepting me into this group.
  • kylejsda
    Options
    I sincerely apologize for the typos in the extended comment above, it's Christmas Eve and I'm looking at my SDA crs's not being able to listen to them had an extra Christmas Eve toddy or two and I should have proof read better I apologize. I'm just sick of waiting, in a perfect world I would replace both tweeters with something as close to original as possible and all four whippers with as close to original as possible from then, I do have two surrounds I believe they're called the 4t's which I would like some clarification as to (are they direct replacements for the six and a half's in the SDA sda crs's because I'm willing to sacrifice those temporarily to replace two of the six and a half on the outside of the crs's I'm absolutely only in need of one polidome tweeter circa 1987 to 89 single Tweeter first generation SDA CRS, in a perfect world I would replace all four six and a half and both tweeters without upgrading of any kind I like the way they were I like the way they are I listen to them for 20+ years and I absolutely love them
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Jesus! Just buy RD-0194's and replace the SL2000's. One the SL2000's do not age well, two they were harsh tweeters from day one, enough so that Polk spent huge amounts of money in research and development to design new replacement tweeters to replace them
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    And don’t forget to mention if you order from Polk that you are a Club Polk member to get a discount (and free shipping?) 😎. A pair of RD-0194’s will sound better as Pitdog mentioned. That will take care of your tweeter issue anyway. Many, many here have done it on numerous Polk speakers. The RD-0194’s are plug and play.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    - Stock Studio 1C

- Modded-to-the-Max Real Wood 1C (I started with the Studio, got a pair of Real Wood, then swapped all the goodies from the Studio to the Real Wood). Still need inductors, new wires, and a Dread. I'll hopefully finish those additions this coming year.

Probably parting out the Studio and keeping a stereo mid, SDA mid, and passive for spares. I've got to make some space...

Thought about putting the Studios upside down on the Real Woods and pretending I had the big SDAs for an afternoon of daydreaming =(

I'm an SDA-for-life guy after getting into my 1C the past 2 years =)
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    I sold off a few pairs of SDA's a couple of years ago during the pandemic.

Currently these are the one's I own.

1.2TL
    2.3TL
    3.1TL
    SDA 2B's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I sold off a few pairs of SDA's a couple of years ago during the pandemic.

Currently these are the one's I own.

1.2TL
    2.3TL
    3.1TL
    SDA 2B's

That's a pretty good start 😂
    Nice collection.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    I own 3.1TLs only.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Mint SDA 1C's, bought new in June of 1989. Modded the crossovers, binding posts, and SDA connectors in 2005, shortly after I installed RDO-194's.

Hard to believe that was almost 19 years ago.
  • bem
    bem Posts: 102
    Options
    SDA SRS 2.3’s with VR3 mods and upgraded tweeters. Original owner since 1988.