The EV Hate Thread

Options

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    That's why I wear my tinfoil hat and have one of these over my bed...don't judge me

Shielding 1-Door 100% Silver Circular Canopy -5G Tested EMF Protection - Faraday

n3nbm51dwapg.png

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,523
    Options
    The Cone of Silence.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,826
    Options
    LMAO
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    looks like a Nissan
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    looks like a Nissan

Yes, an extraordinarily large one, at that. The firetruck and firefighters do not appear to be to scale with the car.

Also, where's the 8,000,000 gallons of water it takes to put an EV fire out?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,104
    Options
    They were talking on a local AM radio news program this morning about EV's.
    They said insurance premiums may be 30-35% higher for them. Accident repairs
    are more costly and there are currently fewer trained people to repair them.

I cannot verify either of these statements.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,066
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »

I cannot either, but I know a bunch of folks with EVs (related to some, in fact). I will ask the next time it's reasonably convenient. :)
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,142
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »

I'll let you know when I get one and take it to Pep Boys and ask the pimply youth to replace the battery.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    So who's going to tow an ev after an accident?
    A lot of tow services aren't going to touch it with a 10' pole.
    If they do, they will charge $$$. And they will have to store it
    away from other cars. My guess is most ev accidents will
    be totals. You deform a battery pack or it's mounting area
    the car is junk.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,111
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited January 16
    Options
    lit·er·al·ly
    /ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/
    adverb
    adverb: literally
    in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
    "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"

INFORMAL
    used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
    "I was literally blown away by the response I got"

I hate to break it to you (Chris) but there is more than one way to use the word literally. Verify yourself:

Cambridge Dictionary
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/literally

Merriam Webster
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,826
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options

I'm sure they all feel so warm and fuzzy inside knowing they saved the planet from heat extremes.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited January 16
    Options
    And I am going to assume, once the battery pack dies under these conditions, they are pretty much toast and/or will never be the same until replaced. Likely a $10k-20k out of pocket repair.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    A Hyundai ev battery runs $60k. So you end up junking it
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    There is a thriving business of exporting junk ev's to the Ukraine.
    A couple of guys over there specialize in fixing Teslas.
    Stateside most shops won't take on the liability of repairing them.
    That means most get totaled. Expect insurance minimums and rates
    to go up. A $100k accident is going to become the new normal.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    Where I worked, they did cold weather testing on new products to ensure they would start and function as intended for the customer in extreme conditions. Guess that wasn’t part of the new product introduction program for Tesla.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,606
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    And I am going to assume, once the battery pack dies under these conditions, they are pretty much toast and/or will never be the same until replaced. Likely a $10k-20k out of pocket repair.

Yes and no, I watched a Discovery show where a guy in Texas was buying old Tesla's that the owners had ran them dry so to speak. It was a very laborious process to say the least. After being run down to zero many times they no longer want to take a charge. The guy would unstrap the packs and try and get one pack to take a charge and then restrap and MAYBE that one would jump start the other packs. In the end he had more junk batt packs than good batt packs.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    I’ve had couple car batteries freeze and they’ve been toast after that.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,281
    Options
    The powers that be aren't mandating electric vehicles for everyone to drive they want you to take public transportation, ride bikes, and not go on long vacations. That's also why they like the work from home crap.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,455
    Options
    WTF can't I get a job that works from home! Jealous!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    The powers that be aren't mandating electric vehicles for everyone to drive they want you to take public transportation, ride bikes, and not go on long vacations. That's also why they like the work from home crap.

They really want us all to live like in Tokyo. Mini apartments and use bikes and
    trains. 15 minute communities has become a big talking point. They like the
    Japanese retirement plan too. It's called"die at your desk".
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,455
    edited January 17
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »

They really want us all to live like in Tokyo. Mini apartments and use bikes and
    trains. 15 minute communities has become a big talking point. They like the
    Japanese retirement plan too. It's called"die at your desk".

Unfortunately for many of us further up north, biking can only safely happen about 5mths out of the year...may 6-7 if we are lucky.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Given current weather conditions across the country,
    the grid is under strain. What happens when ev ownership
    Hits over 10%? I'm constantly amazed by how people in
    Charge can be so disconnected from reality. Right now
    hybrid cars are the best solution. Many current designs
    Work very well. No range issues, no charging issues, and
    great mpg.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Given current weather conditions across the country,
    the grid is under strain. What happens when ev ownership
    Hits over 10%? I'm constantly amazed by how people in
    Charge can be so disconnected from reality. Right now
    hybrid cars are the best solution. Many current designs
    Work very well. No range issues, no charging issues, and
    great mpg.

charge, disconnected, current

I see what you did there. ;)
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    It strikes me that electric cars might work for urban masses that live like termites and have short commutes - if you have the charging infrastructure. EV's aren't performing so well in frigid conditions (beached whales in the snow). Good luck firing one up on a 15-below Idaho morning, running the heater (and your heated seats, mirrors, and steering wheel, lol) and driving the typical long rural commute to work, leaving work to scrape off all the ice and snow and then driving back home. That said we own a cold weather dependable 14 year old Prius (hybrid) that gets fabulous mileage, long range, and you make no concessions to get it. Out here where driving distances are long, many have found the ideal combo to be a pickup for hauling/towing the camper, and a small hybrid for economic distance travels. I'm tired of pundits from the cities trying to tell folks in rural America how things are going to be. If it makes economic sense I will do it. I don't like giving all my money to the oil companies.
    pxplxqzsuqss.jpg
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    edited January 22
    Options
    Minnesota is getting electric school buses and electric fire trucks. I am starting to see new Amazon trucks coming through the neighborhood that are electric. Peace. Dede760qt03xi.jpeg
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”