The Grande Utopia Project

Options

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    And then they might sound like the sopra..... 😢

Looks like they use the Faraday Rings (part of their NIC Neutral Inductance Circuit design) in the new Utopias, Sopras, and Kantas.

https://www.focal.com/en/focal-teach/nic-neutral-inductance-circuit
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    The new line sounds so different then the older one, just a completely different take on hifi that I am not interested in. Just different preferences
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    87he964e53v3.jpg
    pngqbejvzgvk.jpg
    yhe74bvt1koc.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    I knew you'd release the Cap Kraken. :)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Congrats! Very nice.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Another project where the attention to detail is spectacular. That is a thing of beauty. There are some impressive folks on here. Congrats!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Lookin' good Treyster! Talk about a tight fit....

You want me to bring my thermal imager next time we GTG?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind comments.

You can, I am able to hit the resistors with my laser thermometer and not noticing anything running warm at all which is good!
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    @VR3 I’ve been lurking and watching this thread. Your work as always is exquisite. I will crash the discussion with a quick sidebar on the kit speakers we discussed over PM a while back…. I declare that the Focal Audiom TD5 tweeters are by far and away the best I’ve ever owned. Really amazing.

After research I’m convinced these are late 90’s / early 2000’s Zalytron kit speakers with the Focal tweeters, PHL woofers, North Creek caps and 12AWG inductors. I had to remove the ports that someone hacked into the cabs and replaced with PR’s - took lots of dusty router work haha. I remoted the crossovers into a pair stands I built and veneered with maple, distressed on purpose. Very efficient and extremely cohesive in the mid and upper registers. Paired with a good sub I really enjoy them…

They’re nothing as stunning as what you’re working on, but I will say again that these tweeters are downright fantastic.

do1xg7lofpyg.jpeg
    xjhic64r88ah.jpeg
    psd07cw7y2uy.jpeg
    pmnyuult1r0z.jpeg
    auegrneweklx.jpeg
    4xodo7srmose.jpeg
    1o53ulccn9qe.jpeg
    nz4d0p4nn6ud.jpeg
    x0yt67iclm83.jpeg
    9dd8ojoa8qzz.jpeg

…and now, back to our regularly scheduled program…
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • VR3
    Options
    I was curious what you did with those! What a great project, love the external crossovers in the stands. Are those crossovers stock? They look to use some nice parts for sure!

The audiom tlr tweeter strikes a great balance between musicality and detail with great imaging. It is just detailed enough and sounds great, I am glad you have been enjoying it!

I have never seen that version of the ts5 where it used a the tgu/tlr magnet. Not sure if I said that in the PM but that's a rare tweeter you have in thst configuration!

Good stuff!
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    Are those crossovers stock? They look to use some nice parts for sure!

Yep, all that stuff was crammed into the cabinets when I got them! When Ding Dong whoever decided putting in a port was good idea, they damaged the crossover backing boards, so I repaired the damage and moved them down into the new stands. I probably gained a cubic foot of cabinet volume haha.

All the crossover components are by North Creek which I believe is defunct after a factory fire years ago. Someone spent a pretty penny on them originally. I figured it was worth the effort to restore/mod them so they were usable.

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • VR3
    edited January 12
    Options
    That tweeter brand new retails for over 1k twenty years ago, that was an expensive speaker set for sure!
    I'm glad you brought them back to life!
  • VR3
    Options
    Secured a set of the second generation grande spikes at a great price! Now to figure out how to mount them!
    a3z9wnt2tkol.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited January 13
    Options
    What is that 3/8" threaded rod?
  • VR3
    edited January 13
    Options
    5/8

The grandes weigh 400 pounds so it's not just weight that's a concern but also lateral movements if you need to slide them... So the long, wide threaded rods provide that.

I have half inch thick steel 4 inch wide disc for floor savers
    Post edited by VR3 on
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Well my first guess was 1/2" before the edit. The picture played with my eyes.

I figured they had to be beefy.
  • VR3
    Options
    I remember my Dad's set, they are beefy spikes for sure. Not sure you can tell in the pics but they come in two mini crates versus a box
  • VR3
    Options
  • VR3
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/QwwyMesEqq0

Sound clip, recorded with my phone... About 105db peaks

My phone's speaker about popped. Taking requests? Nice work as usual.

First video taken of the grandes above.... Same song today

https://youtu.be/BJgN0fJdCKk?feature=shared
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I remember my Dad's set, they are beefy spikes for sure. Not sure you can tell in the pics but they come in two mini crates versus a box

Yes I could tell they came in a nice wooden crate.
    What is the black part made of, if I may be nosy ☺️
  • VR3
    Options
    If I recall correctly it is a solid metal. I know the rod and points are stainless. I want to say the black part is aluminum
  • VR3
    Options
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    Options
    Sounds badass Trey. Drooling through my iPhone speakers! I just played “Bullet Train” on my big system, not my style but certainly can demonstrate dynamics very well. The bass line is impressive.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    edited January 26
    Options
    Thanks man, the imaging is the key, the sound whips around you like a vortex, crazy sensations
  • VR3
    Options
    Measurements from the listening position

n6255x1aj4dk.jpg
    64i4xta15d2o.jpg
    ojjjmmn3guax.jpg
  • VR3
    Options
    The fun is about to continue!

nl1oefl8vk86.jpg
    micuebwjee47.jpg
    8zu3ldohk6zu.jpg
    zf6lhodyengj.jpg
  • VR3
    Options
  • VR3
    Options
    Heck of a spike

f7j5tiycil7n.jpg
    8ts6nsuqqpg6.jpg
  • VR3
    Options
    It fit!

189x65cibkv7.jpg