13»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    Options
    Mt. Washington, not Govans.
    3wqxa9cp5hpa.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    11smvx3njsjo.gif
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    edited January 1
    Options
    Ah never mind. Not worth the time..
  • F1nut
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Yes, it was.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,196
    Options
    Well......all I can say is it looks like it has a carbon copy at 431 Notre Dame Ln., Baltimore MD. Harry and Jeannette Weinberg Gallagher Mansion, known as Gallagher Mansion now.

louf2sqafnnj.jpg

barboj4jweyz.jpg

vgwe9wec77xc.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Options
    Definitely Gong material
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    1313 Mockingbird Lane
    fcjq9rmy579w.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,621
    Options
    I'm not sure of other states, the places I have been to in Illinois that have a mockingbird lane none of them have a 1313 Mockingbird lane. Skips right on to the next number.
  • F1nut
    Options
    https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/polklore/brand/polk-at-50-conversation-with-matthew-polk.html

Whichever location is correct, neither was a good neighbor in those days. These days Mt. Washington is the better of the two.

That said, boy George is the Google king. I mean, he really knows how to turn over every grain of sand.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    edited January 1
    Options
    Hey George, let's see how good your sand grain turning is. Find two HQ locations that Polk was at other than the garage, the old house, Metro Drive and those after. Have fun.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hey George, let's see how good your sand grain turning is. Find two locations that Polk was at other than the garage, the old house, Metro Drive and those after. Have fun.

Didn't he spend several years living with his parents?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    edited January 1
    Options
    That's an easy one...

Circuit City and Best Buy.
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 1
    Options
    Hey George, let's see how good your sand grain turning is. Find two HQ locations that Polk was at other than the garage, the old house, Metro Drive and those after. Have fun.

What, and prevent you from impressing us with your knowledge? Have at it. The truth is out there. Don't be sore. Happy New Year!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    edited January 1
    Options

What, and prevent you from impressing us with your knowledge? Have at it. The truth is out there. Don't be sore. Happy New Year!

Ah come on, I know you can do it. Dig George, dig. Don't disappoint your only fan.

When you answer correctly as a reward, I'll send you a cookie.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Yes, it was.

Yeah, I should have left it up..
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    Ah come on, I know you can do it. Dig George, dig. Don't disappoint your only fan.

When you answer correctly as a reward, I'll send you a cookie.

Don't do it George! That's how he lures his victims in!

With cookies!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    Options
    This thread was the most fun I had all year. I always learn something new from y'alls bickering, reason why I egg youz guys on lol :D

I found the pic of my first "Franken-Polk" using Polk drivers...

Knowing what I know now, wish I kept a set for another desktop rig. From what I remember, using the factory 5Jr crossover with the SL5000 seemed to have left somewhere @200 Hz zone in the x-over region lacking. I'm sure with more sleuthing and help from the very knowledgeable folks here, probably could have tweeked the X-over to be on target...

Using all Polk components...Was it a "Franken-Polk"?

xm0vvgh0917d.jpg
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    edited January 2
    Options
    Until someone makes a Polk speaker out of franks (hotdogs), the term Franken-Polk means NOTHING to me.

Someone oughta make this delicious terrible idea.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,071
    Options
    Still looking for the truly abominable in Frankenpolks... the things I do for youse guyses...

meanwhile, just stumbled across this bit of ephemera from "The Polk Project" (??? -- one of "us"?), dating back to - at least - March 2011.

9eih5rw9shyz.jpg

you're welcome. ;):blush:

• Gardenstater
    edited January 2
    Options
    I have to wonder which speakers does the following refer to. Were their very first speakers Frankenpolks? Were the re cobbled speakers the first Model 9 ?:

"The company's initial contract was to build private-label speakers for a Washington, D.C. stereo shop, but when that order was canceled, Polk and Klopfer were left with unsold inventory which they were forced to market themselves. Assisted by new partner Sanford Gross, they redesigned the cabinets and managed to successfully find buyers for their wares. The new company's speakers received a positive response from both consumers and critics, and within a short period of time the partners were able to move the company's operations to a large Victorian house in Govans, Maryland."

https://www.stylelaser.com.my/product/polk/

Or was it this one, which perhaps only sold in very limited quantities?

vsdi6phjrkef.jpg

Or was it something else, even rarer? Note the 431 Notre Dame Ln. already in use, so post garage production.

P.O. Box 5339 must've been their working address when they were fabricating in the unheated garage? Too bad there is no date on that "The Polk Audio Project" advertisement.

Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    My reasons for modifying my audio gear (and motor vehicles) are to enhance a performance benefit or to reduce or remove a performance deficiency.
    The hands down reason* for dividers in my RTi A7s. The same* for upgrading passive XO** parts** (hats off to Jesse & VR3 et al) in most any RTi/RTi A series*** speaker. “Foaming” their*** mids corrects one problem while creating another 🤦‍♂️
    **at least the mids & tweets.

Happy New Year 🎆🎈🎊
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work