FRANKEN-POLK Definition?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,349
    F1nut wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    Yes, most of what we do is stuff Polk couldn't do back in the day due to cost or lack of available tech.

Phase plugs have been around a long time and if they wanted to use them I believe they would have for sure, minimal cost difference over a dust cap.

If this is true, why didn't Polk add butyl mat to the baskets before they left the factory?

Dynamat wasn't introduced until 1989, so at the end of the vintage Polk speaker models. Not clear if there was a product like it before then.

"By the 1950s it had become common to increase damping in beams and plates by attaching a secondary
    structural or “constraining” layer to the base structure using what was termed as “damping tape" "

This article is interesting but doesn't say when materials like Dynamat went onto the market. Clearly the technology was well known and in practice even in the infancy of Polk Audio.

https://aipp.silverchair-cdn.com/aipp/content_public/journal/poma/19/1/10.1121_1.4800606/4/pma.v19.i1.065023_1.online.pdf

You really had to dig deep for that one...LMAO!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,387
    edited December 2023
    I found it in seconds LMAO. Search term "history of constrained layer damping" First hit that popped up.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,164
    edited December 2023
    From my place on the stage, if you weren't a member of the cool kids' club, you'd have gotten a vigorous rogering from the box seats in the gallery.

Some have given me c.r.a.p In their own way, sometimes silence speaks volumes, the difference is I expected it, I get it, and I respect them for it..

Had these been a mint set of Polks?

aou8rinx45zp.gif

LMFAO!!!! Bahahahahaha.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,232
    IMHO even if they were mint, the mods were tastefully done in a theme that most people can relate too. They may not go into the main living room due to WAF, but in many cases neither would an all original pair of Monitor 7's.

Gameroom, mancave, garage, office, party room etc
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Toolfan66 wrote: »
    From my place on the stage, if you weren't a member of the cool kids' club, you'd have gotten a vigorous rogering from the box seats in the gallery.

Some have given me c.r.a.p In their own way, sometimes silence speaks volumes, the difference is I expected it, I get it, and I respect them for it..

Had these been a mint set of Polks?

aou8rinx45zp.gif

LMFAO!!!! Bahahahahaha.

Well one thing for sure, he definitely knows what "full monty" means lol.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,164
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    IMHO even if they were mint, the mods were tastefully done in a theme that most people can relate too. They may not go into the main living room due to WAF, but in many cases neither would an all original pair of Monitor 7's.

Gameroom, mancave, garage, office, party room etc

Yeah, the wife thinks they are pretty cool, and can’t believe how I made them come to be when I told her my idea for them, but they won’t stay in the living room, wife loves the L800’s, and so do I, these will be moved out in another week or so..
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 929
    edited December 2023
    I found it in seconds LMAO. Search term "history of constrained layer damping" First hit that popped up.

To be fair, just because it was invented by then doesn't mean a mass-produced established name-brand became who was willing to wholesale was existent.

I'm sure if Dynamat and it's reputation was available 10 years earlier, we'd have seen Polk at least consider it officially (unless they did!)

Otherwise, they also have a certain budget to meet. I'm sure in the BOM, any free budget would be better suited other places rather than Dynamat for the drivers.

But hey, it exists now! Slap it on the basket and listen away.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    edited December 2023
    Yes, most of what we do is stuff Polk couldn't do back in the day due to cost or lack of available tech.

Phase plugs have been around a long time and if they wanted to use them I believe they would have for sure, minimal cost difference over a dust cap.

If this is true, why didn't Polk add butyl mat to the baskets before they left the factory?

Dynamat wasn't introduced until 1989, so at the end of the vintage Polk speaker models. Not clear if there was a product like it before then.

"By the 1950s it had become common to increase damping in beams and plates by attaching a secondary
    structural or “constraining” layer to the base structure using what was termed as “damping tape" "

This article is interesting but doesn't say when materials like Dynamat went onto the market. Clearly the technology was well known and in practice even in the infancy of Polk Audio.

https://aipp.silverchair-cdn.com/aipp/content_public/journal/poma/19/1/10.1121_1.4800606/4/pma.v19.i1.065023_1.online.pdf

You really had to dig deep for that one...LMAO!

2023 goin' out with a bang....

75wxdy6v0z04.gif
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    edited December 2023
    The technology of CLD was well known, since the 30s and had become well defined with scientific papers in the 50s (when they referred to it as DAMPING TAPE) so you can absolutely be certain that Polk engineers were well aware of it and fully capable of combining a sticky layer of viscoelastic soft grade of butyl rubber with a thin layer of aluminum. They did after all design the triple layered damping configuration of the midwoofer cones, the outermost layer in fact being a sticky viscoelastic layer in and of itself.

I'm sure that most of their decision making came down to designing the speaker to sell at a certain price point with a desired amount of profit. Could they have incorporated some of these things and sold them successfully at a higher price point and higher performance level? We'll never know.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    IMO, Polk would have designed a proper cast basket before utilize dampening pads. Why bother designing a stamped steel basket and then buying dampening pads and paying someone to apply it then just designing a proper cast basket? Doesn't make much sense is all!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,349

Like I said, you had to dig deep for that one considering that most refer to the product as butyl mat.

I'm happy owning the brown wiener, much better you owning the brown star. LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• There is a lot of expense involved in designing and tooling up for and manufacturing a cast basket. That would have put them in a much higher price point target than they were shooting for, relative to the competition. I think it is quite likely that they didn't design that stamped steel basket but it was probably already tooled up and off the shelf and the same basket design was probably used by other speaker manufacturers.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VR3
    edited December 2023
    Maybe? Polk produced a ton of those drivers.

Definitive did the same thing and these 6.5 midbass had a very nicely designed basket and was used in low cost speakers. They used this exact driver in various parameters for close to 20 years

The way Polk used them across a wide variety of speakers over a long period of time... I don't think the cost is thst different when done in scale.

lm1kigp21bdd.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2023

When I consulted Polk's engineering department, in 1990, about modifications to my SDAs, one of the recommendations was to apply "foam tape" to the driver and passive radiator baskets to damp them. Dynamat was relatively new at that time. The engineer I spoke to (Chris) probably didn't know about it. This is probably particularly true since Dynamat was an automotive product.

I had a long discussion with Chris about where Polk cut corners and about modifications I could make to move my SDAs' performance closer to the design specification. By analogy, the same house blueprint can be implemented with walls of thick cardboard, wood, brick, or steel-reinforced concrete.

My reasons for modifying my audio gear (and motor vehicles) are to enhance a performance benefit or to reduce or remove a performance deficiency.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • xschop
    edited December 2023
    @VR3...Didn't the last iteration of Polk's cast frame MW's have cracking issues?
    Post edited by xschop on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,276
    There is a lot of expense involved in designing and tooling up for and manufacturing a cast basket. That would have put them in a much higher price point target than they were shooting for, relative to the competition. I think it is quite likely that they didn't design that stamped steel basket but it was probably already tooled up and off the shelf and the same basket design was probably used by other speaker manufacturers.

Cerwin-Vega did it......🎤
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,597
    edited December 2023
    52605721160_f58e3be6a8_b.jpg

49625004197_e5d5b5c346_b.jpg

But even cast components can ring like a freaking bell if not carefully made (and sometimes damping's still required). The Altec 511B horn is a classic example. We won't even talk about Klipsch's squawkers. ;)

32412599773_3c714cc32b_b.jpg

The only Altec components - to date - that I ever bought... and then sold. :blush:

Compare the construction of this EMILAR 500 Hz horn (EH500-2) to the nominally 500 Hz 511B. These certainly benefit from mounting to a sturdy baffle, and probably from some damping as well, but they're way better behaved than the 511B. :)

39281226274_e4483f2684_b.jpg
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 533
    ^^^
    "Klipsch squawkers" lol....
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,733
    Bet these dampen better than any dynamat...

v720qb88ec34.jpg

• VR3
    @VR3...Didn't the last iteration of Polk's cast frame MW's have cracking issues?

Yes there were many on ebay with broke baskets
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,355

Yes there were many on ebay with broke baskets

Broke Basket Mountain
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    Right next to Shifted Magnet Mtn.
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 1
    IMO, Polk would have designed a proper cast basket before utilize dampening pads. Why bother designing a stamped steel basket and then buying dampening pads and paying someone to apply it then just designing a proper cast basket? Doesn't make much sense is all!

Maybe we need to watch that lost episode of Sliders where MP and his engineering dept. made different decisions leading to different outcomes lol.

I know of one company's engineering dept. so far that I have come across that chose to dampen the stamped steel baskets. That is VMPS which was founded by Brian Cheney, and they used Soundcoat sheets. "Driver baskets are damped with Soundcoat sheets to prevent basket resonances from interfering with cone output". I don't know if that was CLD or just regular D. That company has made lots of different products and they are kind of vague about it. Here's the brochure dated April 1989 that I posted on the forum before:

99lzcqq70u25.jpg

tvq3rob8k7x6.jpg
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited January 1
    Reminiscent of the original factory Franken-Polk...

p59204fmnf8o.jpg
  • VR3
    Vmps was no where close to scale of Polk Audio operation. Not even in the same ball park
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,985
    IME at a minimum ALL RTi*/RTi A Series mids & woofer magnets shields** NEED some sort of damping as they ring like bells. CLD*** accomplishes that plus covers the shiny surfaces
    *concluded from pictures that they VERY similar to the A series drivers
    ***just about the easiest tweak to perform, next to doing nothing and can be CHEAP.

12 years ago I unexpectedly heard them** loud and clear during post mod listening.

“But to each their own.”

Happy ‘24
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Vmps was no where close to scale of Polk Audio operation. Not even in the same ball park

Polk didn't start out big. They got that way as a result of all their decisions; design, implementation, choice of price points, marketing.....etc......

Maybe if they had done phase plugs and the other aspects of the "full monty" (lol) and damping sheets on the outside of the baskets, the higher price point needed would've upset that apple cart, even if the speakers performed better.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • VR3
    I would say Polk at their smallest was vmps at their biggest
  • Gardenstater
    Imo, butyl mat is way more labor intensive then utilizing a phase plug. Even if it is pre cut and the material itself is kind of pricey.

Having a cnc machine routing a hole in the magnet pole piece then having a worker put glue on the bottom of a plastic aluminum phase plug and inserting it in a hole is fairly simple.

Say the extra machining and assembly labor time plus machine time and materials cost added up to maybe $20 per driver. If their profit per speaker was $80 previously, now they have reduced their corporate profit by 25%. I know Polk contemplated going public but never did, but if they reported that on their quarterly earnings report, the shareholders would probably sue or something :wink:

Correction. Got curious to learn more about the history of Polk and found out that they were publicly traded from 1986 to 1999, when the founders took it back private. Just to set the record straight.
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    I would say Polk at their smallest was vmps at their biggest

Rapid growth shouldn't be confused with not starting small. The rapid growth was a tribute to their business model.

https://www.stylelaser.com.my/product/polk/

"Polk Audio was founded in 1972 by two young graduates of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. Matthew Polk, a physics major, and George Klopfer, a student of history, had built public address systems for fiddlers' conventions, and the pair decided they would start a business making audio speakers. The new company, which was formed with only $200 in capital, was named after Polk because his name was easier to pronounce. Initially working out of an unheated garage, the two founders set as their goal speakers which would combine the airy, crisp sound of European designs with the bassier, more powerful style of American ones.

The company's initial contract was to build private-label speakers for a Washington, D.C. stereo shop, but when that order was canceled, Polk and Klopfer were left with unsold inventory which they were forced to market themselves. Assisted by new partner Sanford Gross, they redesigned the cabinets and managed to successfully find buyers for their wares. The new company's speakers received a positive response from both consumers and critics, and within a short period of time the partners were able to move the company's operations to a large Victorian house in Govans, Maryland.

In 1976 Polk Audio, now with 12 employees, secured a $75,000 loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration to help increase production, and revenues grew fourfold the next year, to over $1 million. Two additional SBA loans followed. Annual revenues hit $3.6 million in 1980, with the company now boasting over 100 employees and production of more than 1,000 speakers a week. As a measure of its success, Polk was named to Inc. magazine's list of the 100 fastest growing private companies in the United States."
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS