Options

Comments

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    edited October 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Ron-P wrote: »
    Our dead brained CA Governor that is pushing so hard to ban everything gas and go all electric told all those with EV's over this past summer not charge their cars due to the stress on the grid, it can't handle it. I cannot make this **** up.

Just wait until all the vehicles are EV, whole neighborhoods will be dark.

Dude the government of Alberta is putting out radio ads urging people to protest our federal government's attempts at going all electric because our entire electrical grid would literally collapse (literally as in, it will genuinely completely fail to support the load and demand).

We do not have the infrastructure to support the electrical demand needed by a green economy. We're going to be using so much more power per house when you consider that most people, on average, would have 2 cars and that would genuinely DOUBLE residential power draw.

Now... not all green energh sucks. Off-grid solar on the other hand is AMAZING.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,625
    Options
    Chris:
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    Dude the government of Alberta is putting out radio ads urging people to protest our federal government's attempts at going all electric because our entire electrical grid would literally collapse (literally as in, it will genuinely completely fail to support the load and demand).

Also, Chris:
    I also hate the overuse of the word literally. It's used so much that 'literally' no longer means what it actually does. It's so stupid. Everything is literal.

"That's literally insane" and "That's literally insane" mean two entirely different things.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,700
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,085
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    LITTERally

b1e179tfmkdg.jpg

h3enuqx3dfca.jpg

Littorally.

53146275754_a41da6e385_b.jpg

B)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Oh, on topic, tag-teaming from @msg's post earlier -- the battery capacity of the big EVs is mind-boggling. The new (9000 lb, IIRC) Cadillac Lyriq (where did these people learn to spell?) has a 102 kilowatt-hour battery, e.g.

1) That's a lot of juice.
    2) If anything goes wrong, that's a lot of energy to power... something. :#
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Chris:

Also, Chris:
    I also hate the overuse of the word literally. It's used so much that 'literally' no longer means what it actually does. It's so stupid. Everything is literal.

"That's literally insane" and "That's literally insane" mean two entirely different things.

No I genuinely meant literally as in its proper English definition. The electrical grid would in fact completely fail to support all of the 'green' energy demands.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,700
    Options
    Chris:

Also, Chris:

No I genuinely meant literally as in its proper English definition. The electrical grid would in fact completely fail to support all of the 'green' energy demands.

You said that the electrical grid would "literally collapse". For it to be literal, either all of the power lines would fall to the ground or the molecules of everything in the power grid would have to collapse into a smaller mass.

Otherwise "collapse" would be metaphorical and therefore, not literal.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,493
    Options
    Dyin'
    Literally
    j/k
    Only metaphorically. From laughter. But I'm better now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited October 2023
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Oh, on topic, tag-teaming from @msg's post earlier -- the battery capacity of the big EVs is mind-boggling. The new (9000 lb, IIRC) Cadillac Lyriq (where did these people learn to spell?) has a 102 kilowatt-hour battery, e.g.

1) That's a lot of juice.
    2) If anything goes wrong, that's a lot of energy to power... something. :#
    I had to do some quick reading for context...
    8r4bat7dpoqj.jpg
    Apparently the average US home uses 29kWh a day?

Also, at 9,000lbs., I'd have to get all new jack stands for working on it, probably a new jack, too, and there's just no way I'm doing that.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    yes, 100 kW-hr is a lot of energy.

according to the EPA (according to wiki-p :p ) the equivalence of 1 gallon of gasoline in electrical energy is 33.7 kW-hr
    Now, that's a little abstruse, because it's meant to account for the efficiency differences between electrical motors (quite efficient) vs. internal combustion reciprocating engines (not so efficient) -- but it'll get ya in the ballpark. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Chris:

Also, Chris:

You said that the electrical grid would "literally collapse". For it to be literal, either all of the power lines would fall to the ground or the molecules of everything in the power grid would have to collapse into a smaller mass.

Otherwise "collapse" would be metaphorical and therefore, not literal.

Good point, you win.

I used the wrong "collapse"

Could I argue that too much current means melting wires which means collapsing grid? No? Okay I'll show myself out.

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,574
    Options

No? Okay I'll show myself out.

FINALLY! That is literally the wisest thing you've said on this forum! :p

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,721
    Options
    As of late, I have witnessed more Tesla's on tow-trucks.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    dr2injt5vtyy.png
    And this actor playing a native American was actually Italian.
    Kind of fits the thread perfectly.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    What about when they start taxing electricity to charge EV's?

They hold a temporary advantage, mostly based on not being "road" taxed the way gasoline is. Imagine if they ever catch on, the government will levy huge taxes.

It is a semi-false economy, based on them pushing them and no taxes as of now.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,765
    Options
    The lunacy is self-explanatory.

cdpxhahl0wry.jpg
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,291
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

They hold a temporary advantage, mostly based on not being "road" taxed the way gasoline is. Imagine if they ever catch on, the government will levy huge taxes.

The plan is to probably tax gasoline more and more to make up for the tax deficit that electric vehicles pose.
  • msg
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

The plan is to probably tax gasoline more and more to make up for the tax deficit that electric vehicles pose.

Yeah, and *then* find a way to tax EV increasingly once all the gas vehicles are forced off the road. Sail driven cars will be the next wave.

There will be subsidies for sailcloth, but only sailcloth made from MJ plants from select plantations after it's fully legalized when all the same players are positioned to profit.

Electricity is the devil. Wind is the future.

I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,721
    Options
    Your 15 minute cities will make EVs obsolete.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,151
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Yeah, and *then* find a way to tax EV increasingly once all the gas vehicles are forced off the road. Sail driven cars will be the next wave.

There will be subsidies for sailcloth, but only sailcloth made from MJ plants from select plantations after it's fully legalized when all the same players are positioned to profit.

In that case, my gastrointestinal system has discovered time travel.
  • msg
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »

In that case, my gastrointestinal system has discovered time travel.
    lol
    "When this baby hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious..."
    I disabled signatures.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options

As I stated earlier in this thread, they already charge ev's and hybrids in Tennessee an
    Upfront fee every year to register. It computes out to about the cost of an average gas
    Vehicle's gas tax for driving 15k miles. Look to more states to follow. Add to it how fast
    the increased weight eats up tires. Disposal fees for the battery packs are coming.
    That's going to cost $$. Right now our rich uncle is spending billions to prop up the
    Recycling industry.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options

Yes, and China would corner the market on sailcloth, so nothing would change as far as suppliers.

BTW I know sail driven cars won't happen, just saying China would dominate the market.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options

It is a semi-false economy, based on them pushing them and no taxes as of now.[/quote]

That would be called a modern day mouse trap, and for all intents and purposes, that design still works.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,398
    Options
    v7p4k1g8hsao.jpg

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,291
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

That would be called a modern day mouse trap, and for all intents and purposes, that design still works.

[/quote]

Also you have to take in consideration the cost of everything that is made from the leftovers from refining, how much is that stuff going to cost if no combustion engines.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    Apparently some people report getting headaches in their EVs likely due to the mass amounts of energy and emfs