What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Agree. I bought the Gimpod boards years ago so I'll finally be using those. The 1.2 TL's are fantastic no doubt but I need to downsize so I'll probably be selling them at some point.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,385
    Options
    Very nice, Ken! Very nice!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    That looks beefy Ken!
    I likey
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,516
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I'm going to use this as a playback deck and had a new "butterfly" play head installed. The "butterfly" part refers to the shape of the laminations, this type of head has a slightly longer head gap which improves playback performance.

9e0i0d3kzodk.png

lcnjfzja62vj.png

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    Options
    Awesome deck! Does it need refurb?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    We're picking it up tomorrow from Myriad Magnetics in Philadelphia, Dan Labrie is the owner and technician. Dan has a sterling reputation and worked at ATR in York, Pa. for several years. The Studer has 12k hours on it so some work will need to be done I'm sure. Dan has replaced the top plate with a new one and checked out the spooling motors. I'm working on getting a service book so I can begin understanding how everything works. Dan's partner is Steve Smith who handles the business end of the partnership and is located in Delaware, his company is Two-Track Analog.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I might have some connections for you as well, Ken. Just ping me if you are interested. I know folks that have plenty of experience/and or multiples of rebuilt Studers.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • OldCrow
    Options
    Interesting experience today. Youtube has a variety of audio test tones. There's a slow tone sweep from 20 HZ to 150 HZ over 36 seconds. As it climbs, various buzzes and ringing sounds appear from very specific locations around the room. Spots on the wall, picture frames, 2 lamps, etc. Each one chiming in with its resonant frequency. Time to get out glues, screws, and coasters!
    Current system: SDA-SRS, Carver Crimson 275 amp, 10 Octave LP-1R preamp
    Previous system: SDA-1, Carver M-1.5t amp, Adcom GFP-1A preamp
    I listen better than I used to, but I don't hear as well.
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    Options
    Got a Marantz CD60, excellent player.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    Options
    Be careful with YouTube test tones sweeps.. Not the best quality
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Adding to what Trey said about YouTube test tones: You can literally download apps on your phone that work through Bluetooth that work pretty damn well. Free and no ads, they just work.
  • treitz3
    Options
    m1vp7a5j94bd.jpg

I think I was doing the very same thing on the first post of this thread. I have advanced a bit since then. Down to within less than a 16th of an inch on all parameters.

It makes a BIG difference and can not be overstated. I'll make a seperate thread about how I go about things now. I must have spent over 6 hours today just adjusting the speakers to as close to perfection as I can get them.

Been listening ever since and I am really liking the end result as to what hits my ears.

Tom
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Started designing my minimalist amp case with integrated volume dial.

Will be grafting in a TPA3255 amp board with 36V 5A power supply for the prototype.
    Hopefully an inexpensive GanFET DIY board becomes available soon.
    A Hypex NCore would be too easy to drop in surely.

cefhjfwypjkf.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Bottom and intermediate plates cut...

yolwot3sb91y.jpg

1czvdtkidadw.jpg
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    Options
    What stereo?

cuikhlu4x0sm.jpeg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,080
    Options
    Would be a good room for a projector!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    What stereo?

cuikhlu4x0sm.jpeg

e1u4uomx5qml.gif

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    Options
    Alright, Todd. Spill the beans.....what are you up too?

Tom
  • tratliff
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Getting new carpet. :D Thought you guys would get a kick out of that.

Nothing new for the stereo except I’m going to replace one of the outlets with an AudioQuest while I have everything moved.

It was lots of work to get all moved.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    in this mornings email . . . thought some might find this of interest

https://mailchi.mp/f7435a0b683a/introducing-the-all-new-muon2-usb-cable?e=91489aba8c
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    That's getting some good initial reviews over at the WBF...

Ah, new carpet....that is a lot of work. I look forward to (and dread) the day I have to take mine down to move it.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    I missed WBF opinions . . . time to boogie over there
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tratliff
    Options
    Wife said I had to get carpet before next purchase. Bought carpet next day….
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    That's funny Todd!!
  • ken brydson
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Wife said I had to get carpet before next purchase. Bought carpet next day….

Does the carpet match the drapes? Asking for a friend (Ivan) 🤣
  • xschop
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Dial interface and fan port machined...

wtpb684d4av3.jpg

udj7msow4365.jpg

iip4qb8z0ef5.jpg

• xschop
    Options
    Dial diameters are cut....

zrbbnq6xuhwu.jpg
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's