Vinyl , why in todays world?

Options

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    Everyone knows that open reel is the best sounding format.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,455
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I listened to Steve Winwood’s Back in the High Life on LP and 16 bit PCM upsampled to DSD yesterday. The vinyl was so much better with a more natural sound. A fuller and more engaging sound especially in bass performance. The digital was pristine and clear but thin sounding and not really as engaging. The LP is a run of the mill original pressing version but still in mint condition after all these years with very little surface noise.
    When I began to realize that new records were at best a 50/50 crap shoot, I started looking for original presses instead of reissues of my favorite albums. These general pressings on old 80s and 90s flexy vinyl were cleaner and better sounding than modern issues. Not only that, but dirty old ones cleaned up better.

I do have some great sounding modern pressings, but in these cases, it's been due to direct artist involvement to see a special realease issued properly, and/or that the album has been through two or three poorly pressed issues.

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

NOW we're talkin'!

B)

up2okmoneksv.jpg

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    edited March 2023
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »

NOW we're talkin'!

B)

up2okmoneksv.jpg

Studer made some of the best.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    edited March 2023
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Iron Maiden , I don't think they have 1 great sounding album but yet if you go to their concert, it's one of the very best sounding Rock concerts you can go to. They are totally anal about their sound which is strange it doesn't reflect on the CD's anyway. Not sure about LP's or streaming compared if these versions are all of the same or different. Ether way Maiden is awesome and yes it sucks when you have a higher end system and can't stand the way things sound.

Not sure I agree. I can play you a version of Piece of Mind LP that will blow your mind. Not sure what you are considering high end. But on my system, that is documented on this forum, I feel would change your mind.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    Iron Maiden , I don't think they have 1 great sounding album but yet if you go to their concert, it's one of the very best sounding Rock concerts you can go to. They are totally anal about their sound which is strange it doesn't reflect on the CD's anyway. Not sure about LP's or streaming compared if these versions are all of the same or different. Ether way Maiden is awesome and yes it sucks when you have a higher end system and can't stand the way things sound.

Not sure I agree. I can play you a version of Piece of Mind LP that will blow your mind. Not sure what you are considering high end. But on my system, that is documented on this forum, I feel would change your mind.
    I'm gonna have to look for that. That is a great album. I have CD's and cassettes of their stuff. I grew up on them.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    I skimmed some of this thread, but I grew up in the CD and mp3 era. I remember selling off my CDs in college to pay for a traffic ticket. It was heartbreaking honestly.

Aside from all the sound arguments for/against vinyl, I truly love going to record shops and hunting for certain pressings. Album art used to be important, and I think vinyl has helped bring that back.

On the gear side, I often compare it to watches. No one needs a wrist watch anymore. But the luxury watch market is booming. Some people (myself included) are simply drawn to and mesmerized by precision mechanics. And vinyl is precision mechanics that makes music, what more could you ask for!

It remains my favorite format, but I keep a decent CD player and streamer on hand as well. Believe me, the thought of selling off all our vinyl and having likely several thousand dollars to dump into the system is tempting. But I think back to when I had to sell all those CDs. I think about how many of those I have repurchased since then. And the few that have made it with me since my teenage years. I won’t make that mistake again.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Putting aside the question of whether the CD or vinyl mastering of any particular recording is superior, I generally feel that vinyl gets me closer to the event. I've noticed this on both of my systems. I just want to listen when an album is on.

To be fair, my digital front end is not nearly as pricey as my analog setup.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    I skimmed some of this thread......I won’t make that mistake again.

Welcome back. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Didn't I just see that vinyl outsold CD's for the first time in, like, 30 years or something?
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2023
    Options
    All things being equal, it costs more time and money to get acceptable sound from vinyl. It isn't, IMO, a superior format. A cheapie $150 turntable will sound worse than a 150 dollar CD player. IMO, the price of entry for a good vinyl setup is $1K. A 50 year old table with a cartridge of unknown pedigree and an arm that hasn't been setup (or if you know is setup properly) is probably not going to do you much justice....and with an turntable, setup is a BIG thing.

That said, it's my preferred format for when I want to sit down, uninterrupted, and LISTEN to music. I enjoy the whole process.

Larry nailed it. There are some things that sound better on vinyl and some better digitally. I've got a batch of RCA Living Stereo SACD's that I think sound better than the vinyl versions. I've got some MFSL SACD's that sound better than the vinyl versions. I have a vinyl copy of Steve Miller's Fly Like and Eagle that is absolutely astounding (this is a different pressing from the standard....I just can't recall the specifics). DSOTM, I've got a German LP that is superior to the SACD that I have.....

Now, if I'm just looking for background noise or just hear music (while doing other things)...that's what streaming and digital is for. Especially streaming.....but, when I want to really connect? LP is my jam.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    My hot take is, why would anyone ride a horse?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2023
    Options
    For a very long time, I needed to keep a turntable in my rig because some of my favorite music was only available in vinyl format. I knew that some of my 7 in and 12 inch 45 rpm records would NEVER be released in digital format. Then there were the cases where the CD version of an LP was vastly inferior to the vinyl version. Listening to vinyl was not an everyday thing since I hated the inconvenience of it all.

In 2016 I acquired a good analog to digital converter and vinyl ripping software. I spent four months converting my vinyl collection to hi-rez DSD files. I said at the completion of the vinyl conversion project that, if I went two years without buying a record, I would sell my turntable and records. Over six years has passed and I have not bought, or even thought about, buying a record. My DSD vinyl rips turned out to sound better than the original records.

I did sell my phono preamp, but I decided to keep my turntable and records. I also kept the physical media for my CDs, SACDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays after ripping them.

In the future, when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now, and when I have a much bigger house, I wouldn't mind having a dedicated room with a retro system consisting of a turntable and tube electronics.

sifx7uc57d2w.jpg
    Good memories...being freed from the tyranny of running back and forth to my turntable.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • engie490
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    My hot take is, why would anyone ride a horse?

Maybe the horse is superior choice for where you want to go?

I have many albums that I prefer to the digital versions. The digital versions may offer convenience, but I want to hear the best sound reagrdless of media. If I can't sit through the recording, then convenience doesn't really matter does it?
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Options
    I own vinyl because that's all that was available when I started collecting music (I made cassette "mix tapes" to preserve my vinyl, and still listen to them--but I digress). I began buying CDs when they became available; so, I have a mixture of LP/CD--because (with very few exceptions) I don't "re-buy" CDs I already own on LP. While I don't "spin an LP" very often (remember: they are almost all on one of my cassette tapes), I maintain my turntable and will probably have it until the end of time (I just recently had it repaired); same for my cassette deck.
    If I were born today, I doubt I would be very interested in vinyl...or have a turntable. I can understand the nostalgia though; I know at least one of my sons is interested in turntable and LP collection.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I saw an article the other day that said it's very common for people now to buy LPs without owning a turntable. Record store owners noticed the trend from conversations they have with customers. Some said it's as much as 50 percent of buyers in their stores making purchases because they either just like owning something physical and records are cool or they plan to get a turntable at a later date and want to be ready with media for it. Some people just like to visit the stores to talk music.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I have a buddy that does not own a TT but has a substantial collection of sealed albums. Over the years he has gifted me some of those albums which also remain sealed and I don't own a TT
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I have a buddy that does not own a TT but has a substantial collection of sealed albums. Over the years he has gifted me some of those albums which also remain sealed and I don't own a TT

Ron you should gift me some of those sealed albums. They won't be sealed long. Bring them to LSAF.... :D
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I have a cousin just out of college and all he will listen to is vinyl.

Someone mentioned the mechanical aspect of it; I think there is something about the cause-and-effect relationship of playing music this way that is fun.

Also, that it makes me slow down and be more intentional about listening to music.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, I used to work with a guy who did this. But he was dumb in other ways, too. I mean, not like Ron.
    Crap, that didn't sound right.
    I saw an article the other day that said it's very common for people now to buy LPs without owning a turntable. Record store owners noticed the trend from conversations they have with customers. Some said it's as much as 50 percent of buyers in their stores making purchases because they either just like owning something physical and records are cool or they plan to get a turntable at a later date and want to be ready with media for it. Some people just like to visit the stores to talk music.

I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,604
    Options
    I recall reading that it's actually not good to leave the cellophane on as it can actually warp the record over time.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Yeah, I used to work with a guy who did this. But he was dumb in other ways, too. I mean, not like Ron.

Hey Scott... ;)
    d73kaiiewemt.gif
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • msg
    Options
    LOLOL
    msg wrote: »
    Hey Scott... ;)
    d73kaiiewemt.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    The real answer to the vinyl question is to hang it on your wall. B)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • engie490
    Options

Comparing my use of vinyl against CDs, I would say the latter would be my candidate for gathering dust on the walls.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options

Funny you mention hanging on the wall…
    Am looking into shelves that mount on the wall for my tt’s.
    The cool factor is sweet….
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Options

Laserdiscs have that same quality; I have several LPs/LDs in (LP) frames on my wall.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets