Vinyl , why in todays world?

Options
13»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    With todays technology and for the last Decade or so with high Rez files and now how good streaming services have got, why bother to Spin a Record?

If you have to ask? You don't know.

When you don't know that you don't know, well then you don't know (yet). When you know you know, you really do know. The difference can be discombobulating if you are in between but when you know, you know. Those that don't know, don't know and those that do know could really care less about those who don't know, you know?

When you know, you know? If anyone hasn't gotten there yet? Well then they do not know what they don't know. That's all I have to say about that.

You know?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    And now that you know that I know you know, you can never say you don’t know again, you know?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Options
    Duuuuude, I know!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,058
    Options
    Geez, I don't know if I want to know , you know?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • treitz3
    Options
    But it's great when you know what you know, when others don't know what they don't know. At that point, just listen and enjoy the music knowing what it is you do know. No worries about those who don't know what they don't know.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    knowhwutImean?
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    I don’t know about youze guys. 😝

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2023
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    I don’t know about youze guys. 😝
    Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tends to be the difficult ones.

The Rumsfeld Matrix. B)

h976810kka6b.png

I mean -- when you put it like that, well, I mean... it's obvious, innit?

:D
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I have a buddy that does not own a TT but has a substantial collection of sealed albums. Over the years he has gifted me some of those albums which also remain sealed and I don't own a TT

Lot a fellas like you and your friend out there. Some folks are into collecting sealed cassettes. I like to spin my records, but admit that I have a few that I've kept sealed. Not for any reason. I've just never got around to playing them yet.

I still like to play around with cassettes and got a nice stash of sealed, blank tapes just waiting to be recorded on. I like to use this stuff, but I understand why some just like to collect. Prices on records haven't been immune to inflation and sealed cassette tapes have become a commodity lately. Have y'all seen the prices on some of these NOS cassettes? Metal and Type II especially. YIKES!!! :#

Njoy bro! B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    yeah, I watching some of those old NOS TDK and Maxell metal cassettes on Ebay for a while. Occasionally some "decent" deals, relatively speaking, but yeah, mostly pretty crazy.

It was a fun trip down memory lane, though, seeing all the old tape types. There's a website out there that talks about the different types, what they were good for, and another site that sells some old stock?
    This was interesting for me, because there was no internet back in those days, and I had no idea what I was blowing my measly pay on, or why. The expensive ones must have been better, right? I think I remember them having less hiss or something.

Still have most of my old mix tapes from the 80s and 90s. One of these days I'm gonna setup one of the decks just to mess with.

My old 87 Toyota 4wd still has a Kenwood tape deck with ye ole RCA inputs with a 3.5mm jack for when I used to run a portable Magnavox CD/MP3 player. Talk about fancy - that was the deal, having 140 tracks on one disc. I was driving an old truck with the windows down almost all of the time - not like I could tell any difference with the 128K quality. And Napster and a 768K DSL connection?... man, what a time it was... catching up on stuff I never had the money for when I was a kid, and exposure to new stuff. Funny how long it took for streaming services to catch on, and how much resistance there was.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    yeah, I watching some of those old NOS TDK and Maxell metal cassettes on Ebay for a while. Occasionally some "decent" deals, relatively speaking, but yeah, mostly pretty crazy.

It was a fun trip down memory lane, though, seeing all the old tape types. There's a website out there that talks about the different types, what they were good for, and another site that sells some old stock?
    This was interesting for me, because there was no internet back in those days, and I had no idea what I was blowing my measly pay on, or why. The expensive ones must have been better, right? I think I remember them having less hiss or something.

Still have most of my old mix tapes from the 80s and 90s. One of these days I'm gonna setup one of the decks just to mess with.

My old 87 Toyota 4wd still has a Kenwood tape deck with ye ole RCA inputs with a 3.5mm jack for when I used to run a portable Magnavox CD/MP3 player. Talk about fancy - that was the deal, having 140 tracks on one disc. I was driving an old truck with the windows down almost all of the time - not like I could tell any difference with the 128K quality. And Napster and a 768K DSL connection?... man, what a time it was... catching up on stuff I never had the money for when I was a kid, and exposure to new stuff. Funny how long it took for streaming services to catch on, and how much resistance there was.

Dude! Do you need some tape? B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Not *that* kind! Ohhh, no - I'm not gettin' into that rabbit hole!
    1. I can't fix that stuff like @SeleniumFalcon
    b. I don't have access to the same kinda *dump* finds you do! :D
    I disabled signatures.