SRT control center question

The control center of my SRT system will no longer go to wide mode. When I push the button, it clicks back to normal mode. Before I dig it out, is there an internal fuse or something that could be the culprit?

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    NormM wrote: »
    The control center of my SRT system will no longer go to wide mode. When I push the button, it clicks back to normal mode. Before I dig it out, is there an internal fuse or something that could be the culprit?

@ESavinon might be able to assist.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    Unfortunately, no.

Once the SRT SDA control module goes bad, there is no way of repairing this.
    The SDA control feature is controlled by a dedicated IC which is custom made for this controller.
    None are available. Try to get a replacement SRT controller on Ebay.

Ed
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Hi Ed
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NormM
    NormM Posts: 10
    Thank you for the responses. Its not what I was hoping to hear but sometimes the truth hurts
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    It's really old technology , I would actually be surprised if Polk could fix it themsleves. Hopefully you can find one or 2 of them around Ebay
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • NormM
    I checked Ebay and didn't find one but it leads me to a question. If I just throw a jumper wire on the speaker binding posts, will it allow me to use the full array, although I'll lose the phase deal? I'm just thinking out loud, but don't want to damage them either.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I checked Ebay and didn't find one but it leads me to a question. If I just throw a jumper wire on the speaker binding posts, will it allow me to use the full array, although I'll lose the phase deal? I'm just thinking out loud, but don't want to damage them either.

Put a search up on eBay to notify you. They pop up from time to time.
  • ESavinon
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hi Ed

Hi Jesse!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ESavinon
    mantis wrote: »
    It's really old technology , I would actually be surprised if Polk could fix it themsleves. Hopefully you can find one or 2 of them around Ebay

Polk is not able to fix it. I had that same issue. I solved it by buying the last new SRT controller they had.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Put a search up on eBay to notify you. They pop up from time to time.

NO Jumpers! You can damage the crossovers.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    edited April 2023
    Put a search on Hifi Shark. You'll find one eventually.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • NormM
    Thanks again everyone. I bought these new and hate to think of them as boat anchors without the controller. Now that I know the controllers are irreparable, I will look for a replacement controller
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    I checked with the engineer who worked on the SRT controller and asked him if there were any parts used that were unobtainable and he said not. There's nothing preventing one from being repaired.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I checked with the engineer who worked on the SRT controller and asked him if there were any parts used that were unobtainable and he said not. There's nothing preventing one from being repaired.

Will Polk repair them?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The issue is if the problem is chip related, their would be no way of repairing/replacing that chip.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ESavinon
    Thanks again everyone. I bought these new and hate to think of them as boat anchors without the controller. Now that I know the controllers are irreparable, I will look for a replacement controller

They're far from being "boat anchors".
    The SRT controllers serve 3 functions.

1. Crossover.
    2. SDA controller.
    3. Transformer for monoblock amplifier compatibility.

Ed.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The issue is if the problem is chip related, their would be no way of repairing/replacing that chip.

I spoke to the man himself (Matt Polk) about my issue with the SRT controller and he said they did not have any extra IC controllers at hq at that time. My only recourse was to buy a new controller. I ended up buying their last remaining controller.

Ed.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    I still have that controller with the dead SDA chip. If you find a way of getting it repaired, I will certainly have mine repaired as well.

Ed.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • SeleniumFalcon
    In general terms the only situation where a piece of electronics is not capable of being repaired would be if it used erasable programmable read-only memory (EPROM) integrated circuits. And even in that case there are dedicated enthusiasts who even figure out how to repeat the memory circuit and build new ones. The Revox A700, for example, has such a determined following that they can now be completely repaired. The SRT controller doesn't contain anything out of the ordinary, routine power supply, common integrated circuits and transistors. Granted if the AC transformer was shorted out or the isolation transformer were kaput then it would be a pain to repair, not impossible, but challenging. Polk is now searching for the schematic drawings.
    No, Polk is not able to offer service.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited April 2023
    Ed, IF you could get a replacement chip, you can use my hot air rework station. :)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    WOW!!!! That is super cool, and a game changer it seems..
  • NormM
    "The control center of my SRT system will no longer go to wide mode

This seems to be controlled by a relay, RL1. It could be a defective relay, or a problem with the voltage that activates it. Or, the push button that triggers the voltage, that engages the relay. Fairly easy to test.

uvm2me225dz2.png

I am a neophyte when it comes to this

Norm
  • SeleniumFalcon
    If you have a general audio repair shop where you live you might be able to bring the controller to them. I'd be happy to send them the schematics, they should be very able to check the relay and see why it's not engaging. All in all a fairly simple thing to look into.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    "The control center of my SRT system will no longer go to wide mode

This seems to be controlled by a relay, RL1. It could be a defective relay, or a problem with the voltage that activates it. Or, the push button that triggers the voltage, that engages the relay. Fairly easy to test.

uvm2me225dz2.png

I have seen many relays fail at the ~30 year mark, especially if they are handling speaker level voltages. The contacts become oxidized and corroded, and eventually fail to contact and pass signal. Many that are in the process of failing will engage as the voltage increases, but this is a sure sign that it is well on its way to failure.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn