Network Audio Players/Streamers

Options

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,070
    Options
    Regardless of the route... If it has a switching power supply, gotta change it! It's the rules!

Congrats... I think. Look forward to your unboxing video 5 review, 1 hour, 12 hour, 24, 48 hour follow up with a 4 weeks and 8 week conclusion review.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Regardless of the route... If it has a switching power supply, gotta change it! It's the rules!

Congrats... I think. Look forward to your unboxing video 5 review, 1 hour, 12 hour, 24, 48 hour follow up with a 4 weeks and 8 week conclusion review.

I will definitely do an unboxing, and a small review once I get it all figured out.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    What did you decide on...or did I scroll right past it?
  • VR3
    Options
    In pm, he said due to my influence he actually ordered all of them
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Or stupid, and daring.. LOL!!! :D

yghdcpqog528.jpeg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,111
    Options
    Come on tease.... spill it.
    B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    Options
    Blue Sound Node 3 is an excellent streaming device. Two caveats, the internal dac is fine for the money, maybe even a bit better than it's price point. A great external dac improves things a lot. The other is the user interphase/app is just ok. It does a good job but it's pretty basic. Roon is the ticket.

I think you'll find just about any streaming device, Roon is really the golden ticket for the best user experience and overall flexibility. They are solid and are always improving so obsolescence shouldn't be a concern.

Vinyl takes way more time, money and is very persnickety to set-up optimally. Streaming isn't as bad a F1 makes it seem, plus he's never set one up and actually used it.

If I hadn't already owned a modded DAC which I absolutely love, I probably would have bought something like the Aurilac or similar that had an excellent dac section already built in. I didn't need it and the Node 3 fit the bill perfectly.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    I actually wish the Lightning DS app was better. I find it cumbersome and slow. I've considered switching to Lumin just for the app experience. Not that it is perfect by any means. In some ways it's too stripped down, too minimal. But, it's snappy and responsive and generally gets me where I want to be more quickly.

I think Aurender has the best app interface (Roon is also very good), FWIW.

But I'm cheap and don't want to spend money on streaming so I'll stick with my Auralic.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,471
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Just get Pandora free on an old iPhone, and one of those red and white 3.5mm to RCA cables from a gas station. I bet no one here could even tell the difference.

#128kmp3folyfe #NoRegerts
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Bluetooth FTW #nowthatswireless
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,004
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Blue Sound Node 3 is an excellent streaming device. Two caveats, the internal dac is fine for the money, maybe even a bit better than it's price point. A great external dac improves things a lot. The other is the user interphase/app is just ok. It does a good job but it's pretty basic. Roon is the ticket.

I think you'll find just about any streaming device, Roon is really the golden ticket for the best user experience and overall flexibility. They are solid and are always improving so obsolescence shouldn't be a concern.

Vinyl takes way more time, money and is very persnickety to set-up optimally. Streaming isn't as bad a F1 makes it seem, plus he's never set one up and actually used it.

If I hadn't already owned a modded DAC which I absolutely love, I probably would have bought something like the Aurilac or similar that had an excellent dac section already built in. I didn't need it and the Node 3 fit the bill perfectly.

H9

Hey Brock,

Did you hot rod the Node 3 yet? I'm tickled pink on how my Node 2i responded when I did the mod. Not only it's performance but the DAC really came to life. So much so that I am really doing extensive A/B comparison with my external DAC. Something I really wasn't expecting but I'll take it.

I was like you thinking about trying different streamers but I just never got around to pulling the trigger. The now modded 2i has more than squashed that idea moving forward.

I just use the Tidal Connect app & it does the job for me. No complaints here.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Phil,

I have not modded the PS yet. Maybe a day next week I will mod and rearrange the rig. My cables are a mess and I'll have to add the LPS to the mix as well.

I am glad you're digging yours. I really like everything the Node 3 does as a streamer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Phil,

I have not modded the PS yet. Maybe a day next week I will mod and rearrange the rig. My cables are a mess and I'll have to add the LPS to the mix as well.

I am glad you're digging yours. I really like everything the Node 3 does as a streamer.

H9

It’s a 30-minute mod. Really easy to do.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • heiney9
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Phil,

H9

It’s a 30-minute mod. Really easy to do.

I realize that. I am waiting for one more piece of the puzzle. Well actually 2. Then I am taking a couple days to tear the rig apart, move some pieces, add some pieces and get my haphazard wire situation under control. I am still waiting on a power cord from the LPS to the Blue Node 3. Also waiting on an Ethernet cable.

My rig is set up in such a way that access is difficult so I want to do it all in one shot while it's apart and I have access. Still working on power supplies for the modem and router. But those can be tweaked later.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    B)

I will this weekend when I unbox it, it should be awesome, and much love to the wife for pushing me over the edge. I was actually ready to shelve the idea for a few..
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    B)

I will this weekend when I unbox it, it should be awesome, and much love to the wife for pushing me over the edge. I was actually ready to shelve the idea for a few..

You must have gotten that talk from her..."You work hard, if you really want it, get it <3 " :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    edited April 2023
    Options
    "I don't know why you even ask me what I think about this stereo gear/car parts/[whatever hobby] stuff, you're just going to buy whatever you want anyway." is one I've gotten.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,111
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    B)

You must have gotten that talk from her..."You work hard, if you really want it, get it <3 " :)

That talk is usually followed by a maxed out Discover card...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    B)

Ha, that is like word for word..
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,373
    Options
    It's a Cary.

I have no idea what it actually is but that was what he was eying.....and I don't think any of us convinced him otherwise.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,374
    Options
    Would be very cool if it's a Cary DMS-800.

B)
  • heiney9
    Options
    I preemptively tell my girlfriend. "Don't be surprised If I buy _insert item_ in the next few weeks or months, I've been looking and researching"

It's a good way to test the waters w/o asking permission.....lol

H9
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,373
    Options
    My gig after that, when it arrives? I open it up, put up the boxes and when she asks about it?

"That old thing?"

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    My advice? If you are looking for something for the long haul with all of the criteria you want in a streamer? Keep asking questions, looking and researching.

If you want something to get your feet wet while you are looking? You can't go wrong with the LUMIN U1 MINI (with an external DAC).

Tom

I'm late to the party . . . Whatever you're getting, I'm sure it'll be awesome!

fwiw, I was gonna recommend . . . a lightly used LUMIN U1 MINI for budget reasons (used ones are popping up a lot lately for cheap) OR the new kid on the block . . . the U2 MINI if your feeling a little more spendy!

Personally, I'm eyeballing the new fully blown LUMIN U2 with internal LPS. This bad boy is just a hair below what Tom and Trey are running (the LUMIN U1X)

I'm presently running the U1 MINI stag (no external PS) with WireWorld Platinum Starlight 7 USB into a Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC. SQ is the best yet, here in my crib.

In my rig, synergy is off-the-charts between Lumin and Lampi. AFAIK, @treitz3 & @Mike Reeter are the only ones running a Lampizator DAC. Not sure which server/transport Mike has paired with his A3 Lampi. I'm sure it's a good one!

Whilst the U2 is what I want, I'll prolly go with the U2 MINI (fiber won't be here for a few yrs. IMHO)

Good Luck!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Tomorrow is Good Friday !!!! B)
  • VR3
    Options
    Is that when your aurender, cary, lumin, auralic, blue sound, Yamaha, Sony streamers arrive?
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 308
    Options
    That would be a Great Friday :D
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I have had a node ( 1st version) auralic, lumin, and currently Innuos. The lumin app is excellent and they make a great streamer. The Auralic app was also very good but, I wanted something that had a built in drive. I have used a nas, external usb drive and I have found with the internal drive on the Innuos, my cd rips sound better.

For streaming Qobuz or Tidal, the Innuos , Lumin, and Auralic to en external dac are very close. For me on the original node, I found it more narrowed sounding, not as wide or natural even going to an external dac. I have not heard the newest version so I can't comment on it.

My auralic was a mini with an external power supply and internal drive. It played well above its price point and no longer made but, the lumin and Innuos both beat it. I cannot comment on the v2's or the newer ones that they came out with but I am sure they both have to be way above the original mini.

You have a ton of choices.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Is that when your aurender, cary, lumin, auralic, blue sound, Yamaha, Sony streamers arrive?

What about Bricasti??