Help us shape the future of Polk (this time I mean it)

Hello Polkies

Hey Polkies,

A couple of weeks ago, I posted that I was initiating a study that specifically wanted to get input from the forum. We have partnered with Mole in a Minute, a consumer research and insights platform, to help us understand Polk customers and how to reach more people like you. I know, you've heard this line from me before... In getting this study off the ground, I mentioned about the issues that we had with the other study invitation that was posted here and insisted that they must include long-time Polk customers. We’re selecting 30 members from the Polk Forum and Polk Enthusiasts Facebook group to participate. If you are chosen and complete the process you’ll receive a one-time 50% discount code for a future Polk Purchase, plus our undying love and gratitude.

If you would like your voice to be heard and are interested in participating, please send an email to damien@moleinaminute.com with the following information:

Name
Why you’d like to participate in this survey?
What do you like about Polk?
What do you dislike about Polk?
What Polk equipment do you currently own or have owned?

The Mole in a Minute team will explain the process in more depth, but essentially the team will conduct a qualitative research group on Slack where they'll collect your insights on your thoughts, feelings and needs from our brand and products.

We look forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance for the help

Best regards,

Carl

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    That is a truly nice gesture!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    Mole in a Minute? Is that like Toad in the Hole?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,589
    I'm wondering if it's the Talpidae kind of mole or the Avogadro's Number kind of mole...

on topic: I can't play, but I wish I could :)
    Hope some of all y'all get to! :)

2p0nsxh4g8mo.png
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,627
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Mole in a Minute? Is that like Toad in the Hole?

No, it's microwavable Mexican sauce.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 142
    Sent a reply. Hoping to contribute if timing works out.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,773
    "to help us understand Polk customers"

Understand mewah?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    Submitted...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Again, Bring your manufacturing back to the U.S. and you'll have a future here.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    Easier said than done. This will also make them more expensive. Polk likes to make affordable speakers and manufacturing them in the US may break them out of the "affordability" bracket, their core demographic. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Make subwoofers that compare to svs .
    And ampplates that don't burn out after less then a year. My one svs sb -4000 blows away any 2 subs together you ever made!!!
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'm not going to nominate myself, but you should really consider producing a heritage line-up. Many of us, myself included, grew up on the Polk offerings of the 80's. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past, but if you could come up with a modern version of the Monitor 7 peerless, that exceeds the legacy product, you'd have gold.

That’s a great idea, the vintage inspired wharfdales, Klipsches, JBLs etc have been very popular products
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,773
    "wharfdales, Klipsches, JBLs"

If they sound better than the above, I'm in.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,140
    I'm gonna be completely honest here...
    I'm not going any further than my gen3 SDA SRS' speakers. Am still doing mods to these speakers as they're my end of the chase speakers.

Saying this, I'm pretty sure I'm not a qualified individual to take part in this survey.
    Being 65, I'm not your future.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,592
    I am in. Wish me luck! Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    So great to see Polk reaching out to their customer base!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    I'm not going any further than my gen3 SDA SRS' speakers. Am still doing mods to these speakers as they're my end of the chase speakers.

Saying this, I'm pretty sure I'm not a qualified individual to take part in this survey.
    Being 65, I'm not your future.
    Quitter.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    @CarlJacobson_POLK

Any status updates on this?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited April 2023
    Polk doesn't need a heritage line. Not sure there would be enough market for that. Why do you think some of the other brands pushing vintage charge a ridiculous price? My guess is because the market is so small they need to charge $2500 for pair of vintage KLH 5's to make it profitable.

Or NEW vintage JBL L100's for $4400 pr.

Would someone here pay $2000 for a NEW vintage pair of Monitor 7's? I wouldn't even consider it. Some might, but I bet the market is small.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,162
    I'm in.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • skipshot12
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Polk doesn't need a heritage line. Not sure there would be enough market for that. Why do you think some of the other brands pushing vintage charge a ridiculous price? My guess is because the market is so small they need to charge $2500 for pair of vintage KLH 5's to make it profitable.

Would someone here pay $2000 for a NEW vintage pair of Monitor 7's? I wouldn't even consider it. Some might, but I bet the market is small.

H9

I'd pay $2000 for a new version of SDA SRS'.
    Hell, I'd pay way over double that coinage 😳

Would be nice to hear what new tech could do with those baby's.
    The issue is, it would be such a small few that would put something like that in their home's nowadays that it wouldn't be a profitable venture.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,355
    Well you never know, a lot of younger people are putting turntables in their systems. I would have never thought that would happen.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341

H9

The issue is, it would be such a small few that would put something like that in their home's nowadays that it wouldn't be a profitable venture.

Ummmm...Polk L800
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274

The problem with that is it appears you actually have no idea of the cost when new. Those SRS SDA's were double that cost it mid 80's-early 90's dollars, do the math.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,157
    edited April 2023

H9

We have new SDA's they cost $6000 and aren't really the same. In many ways improved, but in many ways not the same. (I would have bought those over the L600's if I had the proper room for them to really breath)

"New Tech" means the original "vintage" sound is gone. It's a new speaker with only the smallest connection to the past, perhaps the name and the shape. The L800's have all the new "tech" you could desire.

I love the sound of vintage Polks, I'll have my 5B's forever. But I wouldn't replace my L600's for a $2K pair of vintage Monitor 7's.

Just my .02c

H9

P.s. I can't believe JBL L100's cost $4400/pr new.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,822

Make up your mind! 😝

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,467
    In my mind, at least, I think of the Linton's being a heritage line. They sell many of them, it seems, and they don't cost a ton...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,589
    smglbrth wrote: »
    In my mind, at least, I think of the Linton's being a heritage line. They sell many of them, it seems, and they don't cost a ton...

Good call -- they are pretty attractively priced.

8s8t0cdaikpp.png

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/speakers/wharfedale-linton-85th-anniversary-bookshelf-speakers-with-stands-pair/

Now -- I know it's superficial, since the Lintons are a very conventional three-way design (no passive radiator), but when the Lintons were (re) introduced, I was struck by their very Polk 7-esque appearance. :)

• skipshot12
    Bahahaaaaa… you’s make me raff.

Any idea what an all out speaker, sda srs, would run in todays market?
    Let’s start at 20k.

Jesse,
    Nope, the L800’s are not the equivalent.
    Two different speakers.
    Only thing in common is sda.

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    smglbrth wrote: »

Good call -- they are pretty attractively priced.

8s8t0cdaikpp.png

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/speakers/wharfedale-linton-85th-anniversary-bookshelf-speakers-with-stands-pair/

Now -- I know it's superficial, since the Lintons are a very conventional three-way design (no passive radiator), but when the Lintons were (re) introduced, I was struck by their very Polk 7-esque appearance. :)

Maybe @JayMX will debut his re-worked M7's for Polk to get some design cues from.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.