Help us shape the future of Polk (this time I mean it)

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,590
    I didn't say it explictly, so I shall. ;)
    I think that the Lintons are quite nice looking little loudspeakers.

As a Wharfie-esque aside -- the sheer magnitude of the Wharfedale line is mindboggling. They have so many different sizes, shapes, flavors, and prices of loudspeakers... they look like something that belongs on AliExpress! :#;)

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    The Pokes will join their MIC Wharfie-esque comrades then if not produced stateside.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,598
    Polk's future? Fix this website first. Get rid of Vanilla. That would be a nice first step I think.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I didn't say it explictly, so I shall. ;)
    I think that the Lintons are quite nice looking little loudspeakers.

As a Wharfie-esque aside -- the sheer magnitude of the Wharfedale line is mindboggling. They have so many different sizes, shapes, flavors, and prices of loudspeakers... they look like something that belongs on AliExpress! :#;)

If Polk produced a speaker in the form of a classic Polk Monitor 7 with stands I probably wouldn't have bought a pair of Wharfedale Lintons. They are quite similar.

:)
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 445
    xschop wrote: »
    Maybe @JayMX will debut his re-worked M7's for Polk to get some design cues from.

I never did build those... My plan was to essentially copy the style of the Linton stands. Maybe someday I’ll get around to the project. I think the 7B’s would look classy set up that way. Would/should Polk ever make a “Legacy” line of speakers just because us weirdos and the hipsters think it would be cool..? Probably not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (4x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,110
    smglbrth wrote: »
    In my mind, at least, I think of the Linton's being a heritage line. They sell many of them, it seems, and they don't cost a ton...

Those Wharfedale Lintons absolutely remind me of the older Polks (not SDA), and they promise warm, old-fashioned “British” sound too. They are ugly without the grilles, but that was true of older Polks too IMHO. They are beautifully stylish in a 1950’s sort of way on their lovely stands — that cost 33% of the price of the speakers themselves, but they’re worth it.

As you point out, with stands, for $2K, they are not out of reach for the kind of buyer that is still interested in big old 3-way bookies.

Whether or not that would be a winning formula for Polk (demoed in a Best Buy store, for example) is hard to say. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    edited April 2023
    I suspect Wharfedale have figured out they’re on to something good with the Lintons and a Heritage line because they decided to produce an even larger version this year. The Dovedale model is apparently going to be priced around $7K a pair though. I’m not certain but I think they may be building this model in England which may explain some of the added cost. At that price they’re more like a Harbeth competitor than a Polk competitor.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,590
    $7k a pair Harbeths?!? ;)
    Sign me up!
  • xschop
    They forgot to foam the baskets....

rmtdxxhp914d.png
  • xschop
    JayMX wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »
    Maybe @JayMX will debut his re-worked M7's for Polk to get some design cues from.

I never did build those... My plan was to essentially copy the style of the Linton stands. Maybe someday I’ll get around to the project. I think the 7B’s would look classy set up that way. Would/should Polk ever make a “Legacy” line of speakers just because us weirdos and the hipsters think it would be cool..? Probably not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

They'd be special. Maybe machine the Peerless face to match the plug patina. JAT