• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,290
    edited January 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Frank Malitz

This guy is a world class buffoon.

Solar System class -- at least. B)

Unfortunately, that Carver 275 amplifier, though named to leverage the McIntosh MC275 mystique, is a 15 watt amplifier in terms of "continuous, wideband power at a reasonable level of harmonic distortion". Mind you, that doesn't mean it is a bad sounding amplifier... it likely sounds pretty good connected to appropriate loudspeakers (I haven't heard one). But it is not the kind of amplifier platform any of the SDA loudspeakers, and certainly not the L800, were designed for.

The crossover in the L800 will soak up 15 watts of input power and disburse it as heat!

;)

OK, that's not quite true -- but the sensitivity and the electrical efficiency of the L800 is low, in keeping with modern trends, since amplifier power today is cheap.

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,307
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Frank Malitz

This guy is a world class buffoon.

Solar System class -- at least. B)

Unfortunately, that Carver 275 amplifier, though named to leverage the McIntosh MC275 mystique, is a 15 watt amplifier in terms of "continuous, wideband power at a reasonable level of harmonic distortion". Mind you, that doesn't mean it is a bad sounding amplifier... it likely sounds pretty good connected to appropriate loudspeakers (I haven't heard one). But it is not the kind of amplifier platform any of the SDA loudspeakers, and certainly not the L800, were designed for.

The crossover in the L800 will soak up 15 watts of input power and disburse it as heat!

;)

OK, that's not quite true -- but the sensitivity and the electrical efficiency of the L800 is low, in keeping with modern trends, since amplifier power today is cheap.

I've seen the ASR measurements also, but people who own this amp say it's pretty powerful, one guy even said it bested the Atmasphere 60 watt tube amps.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,223
    Options
    I bet he is not driving L800’s with it. I have no doubt the 275 sounds nice. I also have no doubts that it is a relative lightweight shan’t it comes to supplying the current needed to drive anything but speakers of the highest efficiency.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,307
    Options
    I bet he is not driving L800’s with it. I have no doubt the 275 sounds nice. I also have no doubts that it is a relative lightweight shan’t it comes to supplying the current needed to drive anything but speakers of the highest efficiency.

No he was driving magnepans
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

Depending on the model, they present an easier load than the Polks do…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

Depending on the model, they present an easier load than the Polks do…

Indeed.
    The Magneplanars are nearly purely resistive loads -- except some with impedance humps at the XO.
    Insensitive as all getout (although not as bad as they used to be), but benign impedance characteristics.

:)

lgzten4d0i3k.png
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-magneplanar-mg16qr-loudspeaker-measurements

ugswqipn7u9a.png
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-measurements

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,703
    Options
    I got three words for ya'll.

It. Repairs. TOOBS.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,386
    edited January 2023
    Options

Klipsch ? 😳
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Klipsch ? 😳

Well, I mean, there's Altec and JBL, too, you know?
    Thankfully. B)
  • OldCrow
    Options
    My thanks to all of the helpful and knowledgeable contributors. I am only speaking from my own experience. My concern with the L800 is the SDA Pro.

As a conventional speaker, they sound wonderful. They surpassed (only slightly) my SDAs in just about any measure. Tighter base, warmer mid-range, greater transparency, etc. But that's not why we love SDA speakers!

My problem is the imaging and sound location occurring outside the boundaries of the speakers. The L800s sound spacious at best. From a typical listening set up, you have about 45 to 60°of angular speaker position. The SDA Pro produced about 100° maximum, compared with the SDAs at 180° (sometimes a little more!!). Of course it has to be the right source. I know you all have demos songs to freak out visitors and have them searching for surround speakers!

I know there are better amplifiers available, but I don't think the topology is the problem. And I've never heard anyone complain that Polks are a difficult load. I have 5 amps from lo-fi to mid-fi that produce outstanding SDA and consistently produced abysmal SDA Pro. I had such high hopes and was sad and disappointed to return them. Have we heard from any L800 owners?
    Current system: SDA-SRS, Carver Crimson 275 amp, 10 Octave LP-1R preamp
    Previous system: SDA-1, Carver M-1.5t amp, Adcom GFP-1A preamp
    I listen better than I used to, but I don't hear as well.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    OldCrow wrote: »
    I had such high hopes and was sad and disappointed to return them. Have we heard from any L800 owners?
    I own them, and in my space they sounded better than my fully modded 1.2TL's. I do agree that the sound is more focused, in that the impression of SDA wrapping around you tends to not be there like on the older models. To my ear, this makes for a more precise, believable soundstage. The sounds of an electric guitar should come from the front of the soundstage, not from the sides or behind you.

That said, SDA Pro takes an extreme amount of time to break in. It took over two hundred hours to settle in and continued to improve afterwards for closer to 500 hours. Before that 200 hour mark, I too was very dissatisfied with the sound, but I could hear moments of brilliance so I kept at it.

For me, it was very much worth the time, and they have transformed my listening experience.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,417
    Options
    I owned just about every model type of the original SDA speakers. They were all a lot of fun and got the driver integration so right. But they also had deficiencies caused by their cabinet structures and driver design and layout. Some of those things could be remedied to a degree with upgrades. But, there are reasons I only own the L800s for SDA speakers now. :)

Using a word like abysmal seems like overstating the differences to me but I agree they are indeed different.
  • OldCrow
    Options
    nooshinjohn- this is for you. I've been posting lengthy comments trying to describe my experience. You wrapped it up with a bow in one paragraph! That is exactly what I was trying to describe. I actively seek the wrap around headphone effect. Keyboard seem to be the worst for believability. So...the SDA Pro is not designed to mimic the SDA effect. All is well in my world again. This is been a thorn in my side for 10 months- thank you. I'll bet I was pretty close to 500 hours. They sounded wonderful right out of the box. They absolutely sounded better than my SRS but not that much. It put to rest my fear of aging crossovers...mostly.
  • OldCrow
    Options
    Now who was talking trash about the Crimson 275? No, just kidding. But the reviews make me wonder if I can power it up with a USB port. Reviews aside, I'm very happy with it. Beautiful sound with enough power to easily exceed comfortable listening levels- I experimented. The tubes are cool enough for 5 seconds of fingertip - again, I experimented. Carver solid state amps barely get warm. Also 5-year tube warranty. So there!
  • OldCrow
    Options
    Hi Emily. You're right, abysmal was overly harsh. Truth be told, I thought the L800 was an exceptional speaker, best I ever had. I was completely on board with the sound. But, it seems I had unreal expectations of the speaker. I assumed the SDA Pro would produce the amazing headphone effect of the SDA. Your comment substantiates nooshinjohn's post. Thank you also.
  • OldCrow
    Options
    Sorry, Emlyn. Spell checker switched your name on me.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,001
    edited February 2023
    Options
    My experience with the L800 was they produced a wrap around sound like a surround sound set up, but from 2 speakers. That is not realistic and is not what I have ever heard from any vintage SDA model.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    My experience with the L800 was they produced a wrap around sound like a surround sound set up, but from 2 speakers. That is not realistic and is not what I have ever heard from any vintage SDA model.

That is what my 1.2TL’s did. In my case, they were just too big for the room. The SDA-1c size of the L800 is a much better fit.

• gregmoyers
    Options
    L800’s vs. vintage SDA SRS’s
    How are the L800’s in the extreme low end compared to the the SRS big boys? I have heard few speakers old or new that have the excitement in the deep bass area that my SDA SRS’ do driven with my Threshold S500. Low volume or extremely loud I’ve never heard anything I would rather have at home.
    Interested in all comparisons between the 2
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I had 1.2TL's, with upgraded crossovers. The bass from the L800 is faster and more defined than SDA-SRS. The Legends dig deep and have no need for a sub in the mix, whereas I was using a sub to add definition to the bottom end of the TL's.

Ultimately, and in my space, the L800 is the better speaker, by a wide margin.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,731
    Options
    OldCrow wrote: »
    Here are some pics:
    t09hr6xp7b1e.jpg
    That one on the left might have a hole somewhere.

I disabled signatures.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,063
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I had 1.2TL's, with upgraded crossovers. The bass from the L800 is faster and more defined than SDA-SRS. The Legends dig deep and have no need for a sub in the mix, whereas I was using a sub to add definition to the bottom end of the TL's.

Ultimately, and in my space, the L800 is the better speaker, by a wide margin.

Im surprised you needed a sub to fill in the bottom end for the TLs. Really goes to show you how much the room impacts their performance. The TLs in my room dig satisfyingly deep. I know they would dig even deeper if I had your tube amps hooked up to them. 😃

I also recently added dynamat to the drivers and to my ears, it tightened up the bass a bit.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • OldCrow
    Options
    That sounds the opposite of my experience. My go-to track for SDA is the intro of Sheep, Pink Floyd Animals. The two electric piano "hands" are clearly and distinctly located in their respective back corners of the room, both 90° away from the center line. I understand the physics of it but it still seems like a magic trick! Sure, minimizing inter-aural crosstalk seems like a good idea, but who w
  • F1nut
    Options
    Considering the -3dB of the L800 is 32Hz and the -3dB of the 1.2TL is 27dB it's not possible for the L800 to have deeper bass.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    I agree with you, Jesse. However, I do believe that what is being mistaken for deeper bass might be heard, as more controlled and articulate bass, which might give the impression of it being deeper.

• OldCrow
    Options
    I haven't posted on this thread for maybe a couple years. I tried the L800s for 60 days and returned them. Wonderful sound, but I found I preferred the original SDA over the SDA Pro.
    Fast forward to now, my dentist has offered me a Mark Levinson 27.5, dual mono 100 WPC. Problem is I have blade blade SRS. Luckily, I just got a pair of SRS1.2TL with an AI-1A cable. Thanks for the foil info, F1. He's going to let me audition the amp for a couple of weeks.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,731
    Options
    I agree with you, Jesse. However, I do believe that what is being mistaken for deeper bass might be heard, as more controlled and articulate bass, which might give the impression of it being deeper.

John, reading what you've shared above - got it. Curious. Can you speak a little more on "deeper" bass? I'll help with specific questions - lower frequency, or just greater sense of presence?

I've had experiences where there's tons of bass, but it's just hitting hard/greater presence, but turns out this is sometimes at higher low frequencies, which gives the impression of tones of bass. Not a bad thing at all with respect to certain tracks, eg. one of my test tracks, which has character that IDs phase and capability, and it's not even that low. That said, I can see where this performance at higher-low level freaks might present like more bass.

So I was just confirming what you meant with "deeper bass". Is the sense greater extension? Like, you think it's lower? I suppose some of it could be room and placement related as well, given that the L800s are ported and your 1.2TLs sealed.

For the first time, last 2 to 3 years or so, I had experiences with quality bass with subs at first. It was a profound experience, to say the least. Like jaw dropping, holy crap moments. Controlled, impactful, increased presence, and, what I think is called, bass texture? Tone and detail in the low frequencies as opposed to "one-note-wonder"? This jumped out at me initially with one track in particular - Jane's Addiction's Ted Just Admit It. There's this passage where there's a build up, then a pause, then everything comes in hard core. For the decades I've enjoyed this track, it presented as jumbled mess at that stage, but when I first got a ML Abyss sub in house, that passage was tight, fast, impactful and articulate. I remember saying out loud to myself HOLY SCHIIT! and messaging @rooftop59 shortly after, since he's the one who turned me on to ML subs.

Anyway, just some personal context there with respect to bass observations and wondering what you think.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Options
    IME, the bass out of the L800 is more dynamic than the large SDA speakers. That is, it seems to hit harder, but the bass from the large SDA speakers can rattle the walls and your body like a good subwoofer.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @msg ...

As I sit listening to them now, there is much more detail in the lower range that there was to my TL's. I concur with Jesse when he says the 1.2TL's have more bass, but the L800's are able to dig deeper into the music and retrieve micro-details within that region and lift that information in a way that allows your ear to hear things that were previously jumbled in with the rest of the lower frequencies.

We talk a lot about how we tend to find new details in the mid or higher frequency range of recordings when we change one speaker for another or restore the crossovers/tweeters in the SDA's. The L800 do the same thing for the bottom end. Right now I am hearing the after-vibrations of a kickdrum and it is as if I can hear the air move around it. On the 1.2TL's, they were very good at delivering the kick, but that 'suck out' that occurs immediately afterwards disappeared. The L800 is exceptional from top to bottom in delivering what is in the recording.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,035
    Options
    I love the L800’s, they hold their own IMO..