LEGEND L800

Options
13»

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,798
    Options
    I would only be interested in hearing what @ptrooper would have to say about 1.2TL's vs. the L800's.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,248
    Options
    I spent a lot of listening hours with his 1.2tl modded and have heard Troy's L800 many times.

The two speakers are so vastly different, I just don't know what anyone stands to gain comparing them.

L800 has the current hifi sounds vibe, very detailed and quick.

The 1.2tl skips over some details but it's perhaps a more musically involving speaker you could listen to all day and night.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • engie490
    Options
    For those who are interested, Accessories4Less has a pair of refurbished L800s for $3400 with free shipping. Says they have 1 pair left. They also have the L600 for $2400.
    Alon Petite / Infinity 1.2S / Coda Continuum / Counterpoint SA5000 / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,232
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I spent a lot of listening hours with his 1.2tl modded and have heard Troy's L800 many times.

The two speakers are so vastly different, I just don't know what anyone stands to gain comparing them.

The 1.2tl skips over some details but it's perhaps a more musically involving speaker you could listen to all day and night.

I have zero issue with most of what you say here. But I will add that I find the speed and musicality of the Legends make them more engaging and fun to listen to critically than anything else Polk has built.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,248
    Options
    this hobby is all about personal preference (obviously) and there is no right or wrong
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,003
    Options
    Yes there is and you're wrong...lol
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,810
    Options
    What did tou expect Jesse? Trey IS a little damp still behind the ears.....

😉🤣

Might say a little Whipper snapperish.
    😜
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2023
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

This right here.

If you look at the L800 on it's own merits, there is a LOT to love.

If you approach it looking for an updated SDA SRS line.....you probably won't love it.

The L800 is capable of resolution, detail, treble and midrange clarity and transparency that the old SDA's could only dream of. I would also add that soundstage depth is clearly better.

That may sound like a pretty harsh judgement of the SDA SRS series....but the SDA's of old were MUSICAL. In all caps. They have intangibles....as the writers in TAS and Stereophile talk about, pace, rhythm and timing....that the L800's don't capture nearly as well. I'll give you an example, Boston's first album....I love it, but it is not an audiophile recording in any stretch...an even better example is pretty much anything by Springsteen.....I won't listen to any of it on the L800's. It's just not involving. My old 2.3tl's? Put it on the turntable and rock out wit yer c**k out. So, yeah, in audiophile terms the SDA SRS's might suffer but in musical terms, they are probably the most musical speaker I can think of which is high praise.

Which is better? It really depends on your point of view. F1, for example....I've known him for a LONG time. I know his listening habits and I know that his preference for his 2.3tl's is an educated, well thought out preference and not just "get off my lawn" bias against something new just for the sake of it.

I plan for the future. - F1Nut