LEGEND L800

Has anyone, listened too own the new SDA POLK LEGEND L800 ?
Some final words,
"If you keep banging your head against the wall,
you're going to have headaches."
Warren

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,147
    warren wrote: »
    Has anyone, listened too own the new SDA POLK LEGEND L800 ?

Have fun: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187813/looking-forward-to-l800-but-have-concerns-what-are-your-thoughts/p1
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    edited August 2020
    Crutchfield has most of the Legend on sale today, but not the L800s. $300 off on a pair of the L200 and $500 off a pair of L600.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-v08yOuv9j3H/p_107L600BA/Polk-Audio-Legend-L600-Black-Ash.html
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Warren. How you holdin’ up in Tucker my man?
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Warren. How you holdin’ up in Tucker my man?

Good Joe, thanks.. some one mentioned that the L800 had doubled in price so I’m holding off on buying them now..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,589
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Crutchfield has most of the Legend on sale today, but not the L800s. $300 off on a pair of the L200 and $500 off a pair of L600.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-v08yOuv9j3H/p_107L600BA/Polk-Audio-Legend-L600-Black-Ash.html

That was quick :#

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,118
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

That was quick :#

That’s only slightly over 10% off retail...that’s hardly a sale as far as I’m concerned...just an extra little push for someone on the fence, which I am not 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2020
    I thought that the L200 were $1800 the pair.
    $300 is 16-2/3% of $1800.
    I am bad at maths but I can use a calculator B)

Crutchfield, today...

vhaavqa0jgyz.png
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    Has anyone here seen or heard the L600?
  • mhardy6647
    aprazer402 wrote: »

I have a funny feeling that its the "red-headed stepchild" in the Legend family. :/
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    ^^^^ It seems as if it's all alone, distant of the others, out in the middle of the line-up, like it's just an intentional place filler. It needs an SDA mod, to make the "new and improved" SDA affordable to more buyers! :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341

I've seen it, touched it, haven't heard it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,251
    What did it feel like?
  • mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »

I've seen it, touched it, haven't heard it.

Sounds like something from Tommy...

B)

onf2qvqihhgr.png

• OldCrow
    OldCrow Posts: 31
    Last year I bought the L800s to upgrade my SDA1 and SRS (purchased new in '85, used in '15). They they both sound great, but I was concerned about component aging. I upgraded the tweeters in the SRS with no discernible improvement, still great. I was on the fence about upgrading the crossover then the L800 came out.
    The dealer a 60 day return, 10% military discount and shipped them out the next day. They arrived on a pallet, beautifully packaged, beautiful speaker, sounded better than mine. But I could not get the SDA effect to compare to my old ones. I'm very familiar with the SDA quirks regarding amplifiers and speaker placement. I get outstanding SDA effect with my old speakers. I played swaptronics with equipment configurations and cables to no avail. Mono testing and balance indicate the SDA speakers were working properly. They were certainly spacious sounding but they could barely project sounds into the front corners of the room let alone the back corners. They generated no WTF moments whatsoever.

I talked to Polk a couple times, but their only suggestion was burn in. I had hundreds of hours in 2
    months. It cost $500 to ship them back but that's the price of doing business. The silver lining is I am no longer overly concerned sonic performance of my old speakers. Overall I'm disappointed; the new SDA doesn't seem to compare to the old.
    Current system: SDA-SRS, Carver Crimson 275 amp, 10 Octave LP-1R preamp
    Previous system: SDA-1, Carver M-1.5t amp, Adcom GFP-1A preamp
    I listen better than I used to, but I don't hear as well.
  • Clipdat
    What amplifier(s) were you using with them?
  • OldCrow
    Hi Clipdat, I have a Carver Crimson 275 and m 1.5, Yamaha integrated amp and Kenwood AV receiver. When I got my SDA1s in '85, I had the Carver cube. It was a floating ground and only the left SDA speakers would fire. I had never heard of floating ground and common ground!?! I thought the speakers were defective. Replaced with the m1.5 and they worked like a champ. All my current equipment works fine with the SDA1 and the SRS.
  • Clipdat
    I heard the Carver Crimson 275 is very powerful.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,118
    Other guys will chime in, but I think the setup re distance from walls is very different with the new L800s as compared to older sda…hope you tried proper placement before sending them back…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • OldCrow
    I have a 22 by 14 listening room and had all the furniture and speakers on carpet sliders. My SRSs are on the long wall, one foot from the front wall, 8 ft apart with 5 ft of elbow room. I have always found SDAs love elbow room! I tried every possible location with no success. I bet I pushed 3 tons of speakers around! All three owners manuals suggest close to the front wall and as far away from sidewalls as possible, preferably three feet or more. Listening spot's about 9 ft from the speaker front and two feet off the back wall. It seems to boil down to the old SDA effect is spectacular and the new SDA doesn't compare.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,467
    edited January 2023
    OldCrow wrote: »
    I have a 22 by 14 listening room and had all the furniture and speakers on carpet sliders. My SRSs are on the long wall, one foot from the front wall, 8 ft apart with 5 ft of elbow room. I have always found SDAs love elbow room! I tried every possible location with no success. I bet I pushed 3 tons of speakers around! All three owners manuals suggest close to the front wall and as far away from sidewalls as possible, preferably three feet or more. Listening spot's about 9 ft from the speaker front and two feet off the back wall. It seems to boil down to the old SDA effect is spectacular and the new SDA doesn't compare.

The SDA Pro sound is a bit different from the SDA in the original models. I consider the overall sound more "precise" if I had to use one word. You have a good size room for the L800 or other SDA speakers.

Did you use more than one amp to test the L800s with and got the same impression of them?

I'm curious about the Carver M1.5 amp design. I know Carver was known for using a lot of novel approaches that defied normal categorization. Anyone know if it's a differential design?

FWIW, I think the effect of putting the L800s close to the front wall is to boost the perception of bass and doesn't do much if anything to the SDA function. I have one pair of mine away from the front wall 3 feet or so because I prefer the overall sound of the speakers that way in that room but I have the second pair 18 inches away from the front wall because that's the way they fit the space best. I find the L800s work best about six feet apart inside edge to inside edge in either space.

• OldCrow
    The Crimson 275 seems to be much more powerful than the 75 watt rating would imply. When I purchased it from Jim Clark, I also purchased the 10 Octave Audio LP1R preamp which claims a higher output (20 volts max)) to drive the power amp. I have an Adcom GFP-1A that puts out 10 volts. With the Adcom, my max volume listening level might be 11:00 to 11:30 on the dial. With the 10 octave, it's more like 8:30 to 9:00. I never realized preamps had different level outputs. But regardless, the Crimson 275 is a bit of a beast!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    edited January 2023
    The 275 is not a good fit for the L800's. For a time there was even a buy-back program going because they were nowhere near capable of rated power.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • OldCrow
    Here are some pics:

t09hr6xp7b1e.jpg
    ng5zdtkt7uui.jpg
    b8901kjyd9kf.jpg
    jghq1d2aet5f.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    edited January 2023
    I believe the "t" in the 1.5t stand for "Transfer Function" which makes it a differential balanced amp. The Carver crimson is probably the same thing.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I believe the "t" in the 1.5t stand for "Transfer Function" which makes it a differential balanced amp. The Carver crimson is probably the same thing.

I have to agree… it was probably not a speaker problem as much as an amp problem. The SDA imaging I get from mine in a similar space is off the charts, and the imaging is incredibly precise.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    edited January 2023
  • OldCrow
    The owner manuals for the SDA1 and SRS stressed in necessity for a common grounded amplifier. The L800 makes no mention of it. I talked to Frank Malitz before purchasing the Crimson 275. He said the 275 and the M1.5t were both common ground. I also used a Yamaha integrated amp and a Kenwood and a Fisher receiver. Always with the same results - great SDA on the old speakers, disappointing SDA with the L800s.

According to the Old Polk manuals, older amplifiers are almost always common ground. The grounding terminology is slippery. It seems there is a common ground and a floating ground. I think this can translate to unbalanced and balanced. It may or may not translate to single ended and differential.

I reread the stories about Bob Carver about the "t modification." It discussed the transfer modification as a method for a black box comparison of amplifiers. I didn't see any mention of differential amplifiers.

I just posted this today and I'm very pleased with the number of responses I've already gotten. They've been quite thought-provoking and caused me to do some reading up. I've tried to reference my sources and mean no disrespect to the forum members who have graciously responded.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    Don't feel bad, I didn't like the way the L800 presents the music either.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Frank Malitz

This guy is a world class buffoon.