Monitor 11T , can anyone suggest a horn tweeter that would be compatible

Answers

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    No it won’t sound like horns… but it will also sound a helluva lot better than Allegros
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    One does not change the crossover design, one upgrades the components.

Thankfully, it does not result in sounding like a horn.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I would imagine these were clear and not hazy when new.
    apglef1og3d0.jpg
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Me so horny now.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    jamnjc3 wrote: »
    I would imagine these were clear and not hazy when new.
    apglef1og3d0.jpg

Prime Wuhan candidate right there.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited February 2023
    The one pair of those tweeters here has sort of translucent domes.

• That one in the picture must have cataracts. I remember they described the material as a hyperbolic shaped polyamide.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2023
    the only photo I have handy of "my" Monitor 5 morphs (whichever ones they be) doesn't help much.

njdwb6fme7rh.jpg

If I get really bored later today, I'll disinter one and take a better photo.
    Or -- come to think of it -- I do have a pair of... umm... RT8TL (I think that's what they are) upstairs with, I think, the same tweeters. They're easier to get at than the 5s. :)
  • F1nut
    The polyamide dome was never what one could call clear. Brand new, it looked a bit hazy.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks Plastic. I didnt let any comments bother me. Its all good. I was just used to the old Allegro and got disappointed when I plugged in my Rt11, by the tweeters.
    I do like alot of other things about the 11s though.
    And your right, I liked his write up on how to do it.
    But it makes sense about the cabinet not being built for it. And like I said, I would not do anything to ruin this cabinet.
    I think your correct. I should sell these and the 4 Allegros and get new. Think I could get $400 for the 6 speakers I have? But I think I will do the coil swap and have someone go over the crossovers.
    I have a friend with old Klipsch Big Corner horns. I dont know the exact model, but they sound so amazing. Theyre giant too. I dont have room for them or 15k to blow on a set.
    Does anyone know someone in southern PA or northern MD that I could pay to do my crossovers?
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2023
    Actually, interestingly, and ironically enough -- the horn tweeters Zenith used in at least some of the Allegro loudspeakers were Foster (Fostex) horns/drivers. B)

4rfk9vmfckvb.png

k99qd61d9fnq.png

Fostex still makes some pretty nice horn (super)tweeters, too...

gvif51hhy8yy.png
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/bullet-tweeters/fostex-t900a-top-mount-horn-super-tweeter/
  • Mhardy, thats pretty cool. I have never taken mine apart.
  • No it won’t sound like horns… but it will also sound a helluva lot better than Allegros

Love the Allegro tweeters!
  • I am going to try out the tweeter upgrade rdo194. And want the crossovers updated as many suggest. I dont know anyone who does that kind of work to the crossovers. The only thing I found online was this...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/165292694619
    Could anyone tell me if this is quality? Or good components? Is the price fair, considering I wont do it on my own? Thanks
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    The issue may simply be the crossovers needing refreshed. I had a pair of 11t's that sounded terribly muffled until I upgraded the crossover components.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    I am going to try out the tweeter upgrade rdo194. And want the crossovers updated as many suggest. I dont know anyone who does that kind of work to the crossovers. The only thing I found online was this...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/165292694619
    Could anyone tell me if this is quality? Or good components? Is the price fair, considering I wont do it on my own? Thanks

No idea who that is. They are not showing or listing the brands of components they are using, so I would avoid like the plague.

President of Club Polk

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    @jamnjc3 for excellent crossover work (he upgraded mine) contact:
    https://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/
    who is also @westmassguy on the forum. He can work with you to choose component options that fit your budget, and can walk you through many other Polk loudspeaker upgrades.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Thank you jazz head
  • I just got off of the Phone with Polk. I was suprised to hear India voices on the other end. But they got me taken care of. I ordered 2 of the RD0194 tweeters. I told them I was a member here and the total for the two tweeters,tax and shipping to PA was..$112.31. Now to hopefully get wesmassguy or someone to upgrade my crossovers. Thank you all with all the help in this.
  • Westmassguy, is not taking on any work right now. I will be waiting untill he is, unless someone else does whatever upgrades are suggested to my speakers, on the forum. Thanks
  • nooshinjohn
    Pulling the crossovers is not that hard, and neither is swapping crossover components. All that is needed is a decent soldering station and some patience.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • All that is needed is a decent soldering station and some patience.

Agreed - just don't make the crossover upgrade your very first soldering attempt -- practice on something else.
  • I am not scared to try it, but have no idea of parts to buy. What parts need swapped to make my speakers sound better. If someone told me what to buy, and I would want super quality, i will do it myself.
    Are the parts that needed swapped only for the tweeters or for the other speakers in the box also?
  • nooshinjohn
    Start by pulling a crossover and getting the values from the parts on the board and go from there.

• F1nut
    edited February 2023
    I am not scared to try it, but have no idea of parts to buy. What parts need swapped to make my speakers sound better. If someone told me what to buy, and I would want super quality, i will do it myself.
    Are the parts that needed swapped only for the tweeters or for the other speakers in the box also?

You should verify the components listed by pulling one of your crossovers before buying anything.

Resistors, either 10 or 12 watt. Mills are a good choice. Per crossover.
    .5 ohm - this replaces the polyswitch
    2 ohm
    2.7 ohm

Caps, Sonicap or Clarity CSA are good choices. Sonicap are the only caps with the exact values. The voltage of these caps will be higher, which is perfectly fine.
    12 uF
    12 uF
    34 uF

President of Club Polk

• jamnjc3
    jamnjc3 Posts: 45
    So the new RDO194 Tweeters have arrived. I pulled the old SL2000 tweeters, and swapped the foam backing pad over to the new tweeters backs.
    The old sl2000 tweeters it was manufactured so it was easy to tell whats top and bottom. The 194 speakers are made so there is no way to discern top or bottom
    So I am a bit confused which wire to hook to which side
    On the new 194 one of the posts that a wire goes to is painted red.
    Does the black wire or the white wire connect to that red post?
    I dont want to wire them wrong. Please advise. I cant wait to hear them with the new tweets!
    Also from all the research I have learned that my polks are the RTA 11T. The sl2000 tweeters are marked 1989.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    You may need a washer of appropriate size and thickness behind the screw hole locations so that the torque from the mounting screws does not dish the plastic.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform