Revolution Audio USB issue.

2»

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    erniejade wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »
    FWIW, I use Delrin pucks to help support certain things.

Tom

Got a link for them? Google is all over the place.

you can get some inexpensive hockey pucks.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    erniejade wrote: »
    Not sure yet since I had to send it back. When they return, I will let you know.

Any update?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    It is supposed to be here today. Waiting for the mail.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    Heck yeah man!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    VR3 wrote: »
    Just need to make you little kick stands that hold the cables up would be easy peasy
    If you have to use kick stands to hold a cable up to make it work? I'm all out.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I'm also gonna say that USB cables don't make even close to enough difference at all to be messing around with this. I went through this years ago and the differences where so many it to me became trivial. They look better, but at the end of the day, it's a digital transfer and as long as it's constructed correctly and properly, your not going to make it any better despite what anyone tells you.

I'd so much rather enjoy my music than fight with higher end cables. I'd beyond over that for my own personal reasons. It's why I stop at much lower levels than most others are wiling to go. The benefits are gone after you get to a certain level. They just look better and usually in your case create issues due to weight. I can't tell you how many high end Audio and video rigs I had to zip tie, hold up cables because the sheer weight was to much for the connections they made. I hate it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    I use velcro ties in some areas to support my cables. I don't mind having to support my cables. To me it's just another tweak. Tiring on system revamps, but I enjoy it.

Side note - have you guys noticed how long it takes you to reorg gear?!? Or is that just me?

Those hockey pucks are a good idea. I've used those and neoprene pads before in some situations. Also those anti-vibration pads you can get with ribbed rubber top and bottom.

Also play around with use of sorbothane as a top and bottom isolating/sticky layer with a firmer layer/object in the middle

Dynamat's in there, too, for similar use.

Tom - I'm not quite understanding the use of the acrylic discs and/or why/how they might be better than another material. Is this something you stack? Like just to get a cable leveled up or something as it enters a connection?

I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    FWIW, I use Delrin pucks to help support certain things.

Tom

This is one of them times when saying puck it is a good thing. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    msg wrote: »
    Tom - I'm not quite understanding the use of the acrylic discs and/or why/how they might be better than another material. Is this something you stack? Like just to get a cable leveled up or something as it enters a connection?

I have some very thick and heavy PC's that after 3 feet of a vertical climb up and onto the rack shelf, there is quite a bit of weight that stresses the IEC outlet, causing some of them to plug in "at an angle". This does not affect anything from a performance standpoint but I do not like it at all. I wanted the PC to be plugged in at a even 90 degree angle. This was not possible, without some sort of support.

I did just as you said. I stacked the pucks up until the PC sat at a perfect 90 degrees from the IEC plug. The pucks reside directly below the male IEC plug barrel of the PC (which can also weigh quite a bit just by itself). This puts the stress of holding the weight on the pucks, instead of the female IEC of the unit you are plugging the PC into. It also allows for a perfect 90 degrees into the IEC plug.

For vibration control, I will also use a custom riser that was made for me years ago that has a Sorbothane/felt layer on the bottom to help isolate any unwanted vibrations.

4xxgv8spbanr.png

Then I place the pucks on top of the riser, stacking them up until I get to the proper height. No more stress on the outlet or the unit and vibrations thwarted. Problem solved without introducing metals that would touch the PC itself and possibly act as an antenna picking up unwanted noise.

FYI, Be careful with Sorbothane on wood. The oils can and will stain the wood permanently.

Tom

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    The cable is burning in. Even though I only have an hour on it, it is more open, clearer, wider than the Wireworld Platinum 7. It also sounds a hair louder for some reason, but i turned the volume on the Tri-Vista down a hair to match to make sure it's not a perceived difference since sometimes we think louder = something it's not.
    The Wireworld Platinum 7 is still a fantastic usb cable and for several years got me off the usb changing roller-coaster but, so far, I have to admit, this is very nice.

I have a very busy week. Besides burning this cable, I have Rich's Gustard R26 and Singer in the house to go against the Boarder Patrol. When I do that shoot-out, I will probably go back to the Wireworld since I know that cable better since I had it for several years.

@mantis I get what you are saying but, my streaming \ digital game since I stepped it up on top of the very revealing Tyler Acoustic Highland H2, Tri-Vista, AQ Thunderbird rca and Thunderbird speaker cables, every cable change from a power cord on down to digital cables pops right out. On some of my friends' rigs, while they sound good and are a lot of fun, we could not tell the difference after a certain point of a digital cable change or even a change using a better power supply on the router where mine, we all noticed a difference. Crazy story to show off how much of a curse this is for me. Chicago 2nd album just called Chicago, the SACD on my rig or rip sounds like complete ****. Even the LP sounds horrible and that's a shame since it's musically one of my favorite Chicago albums but, on his rig where he is running full DSP, it sounds decent. Not great but good. The DSP he is running while it sounds good, kind of made everything sound the same instead of letting the good or bad shine though. Like Dominique Fils-Aime, the album Nameless, sounds amazing on my system. The song Birds you hear everything in crazy places snd up front where his with the DSP running, sounds good but it doesn't let it really shine like it should.

I am not saying your system is not revealing or anything like that, I am sure it is, just my experience and what I have built, it's not a looks thing especially since the cables ( outside of 1 of the AQ power cables going to the Niagara 5000, all is hidden. I and several of my friends can hear the difference on this rig vs theirs. Granted a lot of them are running though an HT as a pre, my setup is a blessing and a curse since it's too revealing in a way but, for me, I will deal with a heavier cable if it sounds better. Heavier doesn't always = better either. I have learned that over the years.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    edited February 2023
    I did just as you said. I stacked the pucks up until the PC sat at a perfect 90 degrees from the IEC plug. The pucks reside directly below the male IEC plug barrel of the PC (which can also weigh quite a bit just by itself). This puts the stress of holding the weight on the pucks, instead of the female IEC of the unit you are plugging the PC into. It also allows for a perfect 90 degrees into the IEC plug.

For vibration control, I will also use a custom riser that was made for me years ago that has a Sorbothane/felt layer on the bottom to help isolate any unwanted vibrations.
    p6d8b3lf9a8x.png

Then I place the pucks on top of the riser, stacking them up until I get to the proper height. No more stress on the outlet or the unit and vibrations thwarted. Problem solved without introducing metals that would touch the PC itself and possibly act as an antenna picking up unwanted noise.

FYI, Be careful with Sorbothane on wood. The oils can and will stain the wood permanently.

Tom
    Thanks for the info, Tom.

Yes, good note on Sorbothane. I've found it "weepy" as well. I saw once where someone had put down a plastic film first, but I think that's porous over time.

Interesting on the felt layer on the bottom.

I don't currently have that problem, but if I did have it to consider, might go that felt route if I weren't just to suck it up on the wood sacrifice, because one of the things I like about Sorbothane is slip control. I suppose one could also find a thin rubber option of some sort to use instead of felt. A matched, washed cut of an old bike tire inner-tube comes to mind. Surely I can't be the only one who saves crap like this for crap like this?
    I disabled signatures.