Revolution Audio USB issue.

Options
erniejade
erniejade Posts: 6,314
edited January 2023 in Going Digital
I picked up a RAL usb cable and Ethernet cable.
I am having a big issue with. The USB cable. I have used a w4s recovery for quite a while. Normally I found it better with it in my system but, the RAL usb cable, my Innous keeps saying dac not found. I rebooted everything and still the same result. I took the w4s recovery out of the chain and the Innuos now will see the dac however, I keep getting a popping noise when the music is playing. I also tried the RAL usb with an audioquest FMJ. Dac not found on the Innuos, took the FMJ out and it again will see the DAC but still the popping noises exists.

I changed the latency on the Innuos to normal instead of low, same result. I put the Wireworld Platinum 7 back in, popping gone. Put the w4s recovery back in. Everything is all fine again.

Took both out and tried the RAL usb again, same thing. Song plays, but there are a lot of popping noises. I will say outside the popping noises, the RAL was bringing more detail and just more of everything but still in balance.

I had the cables running with the stereo off and just the Innuos and dac on for a few days to help burn \ settle into the system. Before I took an actual listen. I was quite suprised at the popping noises when I finally sat down to listen.

I have emailed Brad waiting on a reply. At this point, I don't know if the cable is faulty or, just a miss match between the Boarder Patrol se-i dac and the Innuos zen or something else that I am not thinking of. Any suggestions? I have the single ended usb side so it is a dual cable but goes to a single end.

The RAL Ethernet cable, against the Supra I was using, not a fair fight. 2 completely different price points but, the Ethernet cable has more detail, depth, basically more of everything but still in balance.
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    Options
    I can't find the thread or article I just read the other day about popping but it sounds like this can be as hard, if not harder than chasing a ground loop. DOH! I'm sorry you are experiencing this and I would absolutely hate to be in your shoes right now.

Off the top of my head -
    Clocking issue/setting
    Loose connection
    Setting issue within a component within the digital chain
    Bad or incompatible cable (may transfer more information much quicker than the last couple of cables?)
    Software updates not updated
    Latency timing issue

Maybe Brad has encountered this problem before with other clients and has some more focused troubleshooting ideas for you. Hope this helps and good luck. Just don't throw in the towel...this may take some time and patience to track down.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Try total shut down (for 10 min) and re-boot . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Take the cable out, blow on the connector, and then put it back in.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Take the cable out, blow on the connector, and then put it back in.

ahh, the Nintendo strategy...
    caznyzsckczh.png

In seriousness, @erniejade -- assuming this malfunctioning (?) cable is configured as a normal USB cable (which I realize it may not be), have you tried swapping it for some other USB cable connected to something else (anything else)? If so, does it work properly?
    Seems like a reasonable way to gather some potentially useful data on the root cause.

• treitz3
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Try total shut down (for 10 min) and re-boot . . .

Damn.....always start with the basics. Great suggestion!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    An audiophile USB cable I used with no issues on one DAC would not work with my new DAC. Like Tom said it could be a clocking issue but I ended up not being able to use it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • erniejade
    Options
    I have rebooted everything. Put the Wireworld Platinum 7 back in. All the popping stops. The Platinum Wireworld is close in price range, so to me, it's a fair comparison. I also have 0 issues with a cheaper usb cable like Pangea. When I put the RAL back in, the popping sounds start back up qgain. I

I'm still waiting on a reply from Brad.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Sounds like it's just a digital handshake issue of some sort, the popping sounds are dropouts in the audio stream I believe.

Could be due to the wiring, geometry, or shielding of the RAL cable. Or a combination of all of those elements.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Brad emailed me back. I am returning the cable and he will send another one so, he is standing behind his work.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    EXCELLENT news Brian!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Make sure you invisibly mark the cable you are sending back with your pheromones, so you can tell if he just sends the same cable back to you.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Make sure you invisibly mark the cable you are sending back with your pheromones, so you can tell if he just sends the same cable back to you.

SOOO rub it on the dingus.....then have Bridget give it the once over..... :D:D
  • erniejade
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Maybe I can trademark it as a new adult toy :)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Maybe I can trademark it as a new adult toy :)

Remember the Slim Jim name is trademarked....😂😂
  • erniejade
    Options
    I was on vacation for a bit. Emailed Brad, and he said there was indeed an issue with that cable and is building me another one. He might be a little slow on some of his stuff, but he is standing behind his cables.

I will say the Ethernet cable between the EtherREGEN and the Innuos has made a nice difference over the Supra I was using. Just like the RAL umbilical cords between the power supply and the Tri-Vista made a difference.

So far on my rig, the biggest things that have been putting mybrig to the next level over the past year have been 1. The AQ Thunderbird rca's and speaker cables, 2 AQ Niagara 5000 ( dang Skip making me spend that $$$ :), 3, RAL umbilical cords.

Minor but noticeable changes, SBOOSTER on the TP link Deco 6E and the RAL Ethernet cable.

Year prior, I would have to say the EtherREGEN and TeraDak power supply.

I am excited to see what Brad's usb cable can do over the Wireworld Platinum 7. I will say Brad's usb cable was very thick, and I might need to think of something to put behind it so it doesn't sag or cause any kind of strain from the weight on the Innuos.

• treitz3
    Options
    FWIW, I use Delrin pucks to help support certain things.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    looking forward to your thoughts on the RAL USB . . . bc I also use a WW Plat usb.

Both of Brad's umbilicals have made a noticeable improvement (in previous set-ups)
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I was on vacation for a bit. Emailed Brad, and he said there was indeed an issue with that cable and is building me another one. He might be a little slow on some of his stuff, but he is standing behind his cables.

I will say the Ethernet cable between the EtherREGEN and the Innuos has made a nice difference over the Supra I was using. Just like the RAL umbilical cords between the power supply and the Tri-Vista made a difference.

So far on my rig, the biggest things that have been putting mybrig to the next level over the past year have been 1. The AQ Thunderbird rca's and speaker cables, 2 AQ Niagara 5000 ( dang Skip making me spend that $$$ :), 3, RAL umbilical cords.

Minor but noticeable changes, SBOOSTER on the TP link Deco 6E and the RAL Ethernet cable.

Year prior, I would have to say the EtherREGEN and TeraDak power supply.

I am excited to see what Brad's usb cable can do over the Wireworld Platinum 7. I will say Brad's usb cable was very thick, and I might need to think of something to put behind it so it doesn't sag or cause any kind of strain from the weight on the Innuos.
    I need to go check these cables you are trying to use out. If it's so over built it hurts the connections , I suggest not using them. It's one of my biggest issues with some upgrade cables is weight and the strain they can put on IN's and OUT's.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    Options
    My man, I gotta ask, which USB cable did you actually Buy? I went to the website and saw some really over built cables that concern me. he sheer weight they look like they are, I would be very concerned to the USB Inputs your plugging them into.

I'm all for a quality USB cable , but my man , these things look way over thought. Sexy hell yeah but function concerns me.
    Dan
  • treitz3
    Options
    If the USB inputs are built with any kind of quality, they are a snug fit. You do need some real estate to be sure not to strain either the cable or the input after final install is completed. As mentioned, one can use pucks to help support the cable if need be.

Tom
  • erniejade
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    My man, I gotta ask, which USB cable did you actually Buy? I went to the website and saw some really over built cables that concern me. he sheer weight they look like they are, I would be very concerned to the USB Inputs your plugging them into.

I'm all for a quality USB cable , but my man , these things look way over thought. Sexy hell yeah but function concerns me.

I bought the single ended usb, not the dual end version.
  • erniejade
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    FWIW, I use Delrin pucks to help support certain things.

Tom

Got a link for them? Google is all over the place.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Ooops. My apologies everyone. I looked up where I got them from and they are NOT Delrin pucks. They are acrylic pucks. My bad.

I got the .05" and the 1.0".

Tom
  • mantis
    Options

Gotcha, how does it fit and stay in? Does it put any strain on either side?

Dan
  • erniejade
    Options

Gotcha, how does it fit and stay in? Does it put any strain on either side?

Not sure yet since i had to send it back. When they return, i will let uiu know.
  • erniejade
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Ooops. My apologies everyone. I looked up where I got them from and they are NOT Delrin pucks. They are acrylic pucks. My bad.

I got the .05" and the 1.0".

Tom

When I look this up, it mainly comes up with hockey pucks. Got a link to what you are using?
  • treitz3
    Options
    Sorry about that. I meant to post the link on my last post. I must have copied it, started typing and forgot to paste the daggum link. Here ya' go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DH48KZL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Wow...

I could make those all day on my printer... Acrylic is very cheap

If you wanted them in delrin I could do that too but it would cost a little more
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Eh, I wanted Delrin and when I looked these up originally? I typed in Delrin on the search bar and it brought me to these. I'm guessing I got distracted by the sizes I needed and completely missed the fact that they were not Delrin. Whoops! Since they only hold up cables, I'm sure there would be no difference whatsoever between Delrin and Acrylic. I just didn't want to use Quarters or other coins, as they may affect the sound being different metallurgies and all.

I have plenty left over for future use already, but yes. You could very easily make these. The thickness is key with these (varying thicknesses to achieve the proper height).

They work great for heavy PC's and Ethernet cables, especially when the gear is high up.

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Just need to make you little kick stands that hold the cables up would be easy peasy
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.