Another DAC on the way!

2»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I am always willing to learn, no issues with that. The Auralic Vega G2 does have a USB input.

h5vb0pz8ult5.png

https://hifiplus.com/articles/auralic-vega-g2-streaming-dac-preamp/ - More information on unit

However, I am confused about the test here. I don't use a computer to offer any music to the Vega. Only Tidal and Qobuz at the moment. I would also need to figure out how to put the file on a stick, as I do not believe my laptops are compatible with that type of hookup (my dongle may be though). I might have the hookups on my old desktop as well....would have to check on that. One thing is for sure, I do not have any upgraded audio cards or other audio devices in any of my laptops or computers, unless they came with the stuff already in there.

I would just want to make sure that I would be testing the same thing and not listening to apples versus oranges.

With that said, be kind please. I am NOT well versed on all things computer, so be prepared for me to ask some questions. I've never even copied a CD. I've never used a stick before, even though I have the old school hookup USB sticks (Flatter style, not like the hookup on the back of the Vega) I think I bought for photo storage. I would be happy to do the test though....if we are making sure the test will yield the end result we are all looking for.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I'm pretty sure I read that auralic recommends WiFi instead of hardwire connection.
  • treitz3
    I have read that as well (people commenting on just that) but I have yet to see that come straight from the horses mouth (Auralic).

There are arguments both ways. I'll stay out of it until I hear the difference myself.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • invalid
    edited January 2023
    It comes straight from the auralic site.
  • treitz3
    Well, take that back. I just ran another search and was quickly able to come up to this link https://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/205863078-What-is-the-preferred-network-connection-

So that folks do not have to leave the forum, this is from Xuanqian Wang. Not sure what his position or title is within Auralic but he is "the face" on the Auralic forum and helps people on the more technical side of things. Here is his official response...
    We always recommend wireless network as a preferred connection if your WiFi network is good for streaming audio.

There are a a couple of reasons:

1 - The network router, the NAS and other network device directly attached to router using Ethernet cable can be quite noisy. If the streamer is attached to the router using Ethernet cable then the noise can easily been transmitted to the streamer as it is a physical link. The regular CE, FCC and other EMC standard only guarantee the device will work stably, but when are talking about sound quality, we are actually talking about the EMI noise that is 1/1000 of EMC's standard, so it affect a lot. That's why audiophile say different NAS, or different routers sound different.

2 - The Ethernet cable is a big trouble, it runs long and can pickup low frequency noise which there is just no way to get rid of. Those noise will transfer into low frequency jitter at low frequency even more difficult to get rid of. Low frequency jitter affects sound quality a lot.

3 - The WiFi sound better if:

1 - The engineer who in charge of design the streamer knows how to design the WiFi module right. The 'right' means the WiFi module will not create noise that can be picked up by other audio circuit of those which directly sharing same ground circuit;

2 - The WiFi signal between streamer and router is strong and stable. If you have a poor WiFi signal between streamer and the music server, the WiFi protocol will try to fetch the data again and again due to large error rate (Yes, we use TCP to transfer music data which has error correction policy). If there are too many errors, that add quite a lot of work for the WiFi module and it will also add additional load to processor which potentially generate more EMI noise and affect audio circuit.

With that said, I have addressed jitter/noise before the router and extensively after the mesh satellite. By the time the signal reaches the Vega G2, there isn't much left to clean up.
    A solid network is the backbone of a streaming system. It is extremely important to have the right networking gear to ensure stable performance and better sound quality from the Lightning device.

We have created a list of routers we have tested to work best with our products. You cannot guarantee the Lightning device will work with the home router that comes from your network service provider. An UPnP streaming system requires much higher standard for home network than regular home network usage does.

For those that don't know what a Lightning device is, it is basically the operating system of the Vega. It's how you access Tidal, Qobuz, your library, purchased music and other streaming services like TuneIn, podcasts, etc.

I had tried 3 different routers before I got the mesh network (at the same time I upgraded the modem). The combination of the two finally got me to enjoy music out of the Auralic Vega G2 with no hiccups. The added benifit of everything else working on the wi-fi flawlessly as well was just an added bonus.

All of this is FWIW. Like I said, I have no dog in this fight until I hear it with my own ears. This is just an FYI only post. Either way, my system sounds fantastic and I honestly don't know how much more can be cleaned up. I will say this, I do know what it is like and what happens when you remove jitter/noise. The end result as to what hits my ears tells me that it makes more than just a subtle difference.

Take away to get more kinda thing...in my case? I got a lot more than I was honestly ever expecting.

Tom

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited January 2023
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I am always willing to learn, no issues with that. The Auralic Vega G2 does have a USB input.

h5vb0pz8ult5.png

https://hifiplus.com/articles/auralic-vega-g2-streaming-dac-preamp/ - More information on unit

However, I am confused about the test here. I don't use a computer to offer any music to the Vega. Only Tidal and Qobuz at the moment. I would also need to figure out how to put the file on a stick, as I do not believe my laptops are compatible with that type of hookup (my dongle may be though). I might have the hookups on my old desktop as well....would have to check on that. One thing is for sure, I do not have any upgraded audio cards or other audio devices in any of my laptops or computers, unless they came with the stuff already in there.

I would just want to make sure that I would be testing the same thing and not listening to apples versus oranges.

With that said, be kind please. I am NOT well versed on all things computer, so be prepared for me to ask some questions. I've never even copied a CD. I've never used a stick before, even though I have the old school hookup USB sticks (Flatter style, not like the hookup on the back of the Vega) I think I bought for photo storage. I would be happy to do the test though....if we are making sure the test will yield the end result we are all looking for.

Tom

Lordy, the back of the G2 sets off my OCD. 😂. That one device could keep anyone busy with experimentation for quite some time.

No worries regarding prior experience. Also wouldn’t worry regarding moving the 1s and 0s from CD to hard-drive; it’s all in the digital domain.

Your audio card would matter if you were playing the ripped file for listening directly from your PC.

After you rip a CD to your PC, then you drag and drop the .wav file (uncompressed file) to your attached USB stick, or external hard-drive (or SSD); then remove and re-insert it into your Auralic streamer and hit play. (Looks like you will need a usb-a to usb-b adapter, however.)

The hard-wired USB approach to playback is entirely different than the hard-wired ethernet cable approach addressed in your later post, regarding which I completely agree wi-fi is preferable in that implementation.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • invalid
    Xuanqian Wang is the CEO of Auralic north America.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I'm considering a new DAC myself. I want to try an RTR ladder DAC. Holo Audio May seems to be end-game, but I might wade-in slowly with a used Denafrips Pontus II first.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Simaudio builds great stuff as well. I have yet to really dig into the 380d DSD with MiND that I have just picked up, but it is an excellent performer so far.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    VR3 wrote: »
    Where did you get the weights? I am looking for some...
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I picked the weights( aka heavy doorstops) off of epay. Every time I would see some,I’d grab a couple. I furnished both of my systems with them. I’m OCD like that!
    The look identical to some I got on Amazon. Here is a 3-pack for $30 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFEC211/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The black rubber rings are removable.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Already ordered them. They arrive tomorrow. Thanks.

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Xuanqian Wang. Say that 3 times fast.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Xuanqian Wang. Say that 3 times fast.
    Is he related to Luong Duc Dong?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Already ordered them. They arrive tomorrow. Thanks.

Tom

How many did you order,and did they arrive?

I also want to thank those that have contributed to mesh, Wi-Fi thing. Thanks for creating another rabbit hole for me to dive into!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • treitz3
    Just checked. The other items I ordered showed up today but these didn't. They are showing now as, "Running Late". Looks like they will arrive in the next two days, or they got lost and I'll get a refund and order another set.

Tom
  • treitz3
    UPDATE -

So, I ordered the box of 3. They came in today and I just opened them up. They are very nice and the only thing that varies from the picture is that instead of a "grill" type pattern on the bottom, it's a series of evenly spaced rings that grip a surface very well. The actual weight is 2.74 pounds.

I am going to order another set or two.

Tom
  • audioluvr
    edited January 2023
    Pics or it never happened... No offense Tom, I love your ramblings but I'm kind of a visual guy.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    Here ya' go.

yvfupbr5arug.png

9ptwd8of3xkb.png

Tom

• audioluvr
    No. In place...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• treitz3
    I am currently doing construction on the rig. I gotta reconfigure some things in order to make room for the LampizatOr DAC. They will not be "in place" for an unknown stint.

You've seen my rig and the available real estate. It's not like I have a vast amount of it currently available, especially after all of the network upgrades.....and the Lampi is a 2 piece DAC, not too much smaller than the 2 piece Canary pre.

So, I have to make some "mock up" shelves/configurations to make sure all PC's and signal cables are separated correctly, things can be isolated and test. After I am done with all that, I need to build said permanent shelf and appropriately put everything back together in it's new location.

I am trying to make it easy for me (eventually) to be able to swap out tubes in the DAC without having to disassemble/unconnect/reconnect many things just to do so. That can't be done in the current configuration/location of things. I might have to add an additional outlet as well.

Fun, fun.....

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Might be time for an upper end Solidsteel rack. Maybe even a doublewide.
  • treitz3
    I am not trying to derail this thread. In fact, if anyone wants to respond to this, please PM me or start another thread.

I haven't even started construction. I have everything in the room, ready to rock and roll.

After further thought, I may just go a completely other direction. New rack, new setup altogether. A complete change for what's here and what's to come.

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Yes! Tom went from done to changing everything!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    I have.....my wallet would like to meet you outside to scrap. Something hardcore.....punk.

Tom