Which car would you choose?

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,316
edited November 2022 in The Clubhouse
Let's have a little bit of fun....I know there are many car fanatics on Club Polk, so I figured this would be an interesting poll to see which one of these vehicles most people would choose.

You can only choose one.

Let's say that in an alternate universe, your Dad had all three cars. You are one of three sons and the two other cars, your brothers or sisters get.....but you get the first choice because you were the first born.

Which one would you choose?

hha89gekb7q5.png

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Which car would you choose? 66 votes

GTO
50%
tonybizafarF1nutvmaxerskrolTony Mpolrbehrpearsall001schwarcwmrlorenmuncybobdaboyzNotaSuvkevhed72nooshinjohnerniejadeToolfan66WagnerRC98Badgergudnoyez 33 votes
Charger
16%
mantisEmlynJetmaker737pitdogg2cincycat13sammieandjackieViking64tonyp063audioluvrskipshot12bcwsrt 11 votes
Chevelle
25%
ken brydsonVR3simmWillowsucks2bemeSCompRacerRicardomrbigbluelightMilitomark090852lunazulhalo71indyhawgZLTFULBlueBirdMusicsgmsmgjmwest1 17 votes
None of them, I prefer the dust covered Yugo, sitting out in the barn...
7%
xsmitoucanetSIHABSillyOldSodKel 5 votes

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,456
    edited November 2022
    Options
    GTO
    My first car was a 1969 Pontiac Gran Prix & then my mom's Demon. I love Pontiacs. I can only dream of having one now & a 4 door older model Chevelleniq9dy3e03g7.jpg
    j64ly5zr1gcs.jpg Sexy Wheels
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Charger
    The Charger for me.
    I've always been a fan of Mostly Old Parts And Rust.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited November 2022
    Options
    GTO
    Option 4... trade all three for one of these. If Dad was cool enough to own all three of those, the Yugo must have been abandoned long before he bought the place.

byjcqpwaytqh.jpg

The Car above is a 1965 Riviera Gran Sport, fully optioned and painted in Salmon Bronze Mist, which was a Cadillac only color that year. It is a factory painted car as a special order, and thus a 1 of 1.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    GTO
    way to go, John. rules are for suckers!
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    GTO
    msg wrote: »
    way to go, John. rules are for suckers!

LOL... At least I didn't thread crap by posting a picture of a Ford. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    GTO
    Goat all day long and twice on Sunday. Just wish it was a rag top
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Charger
    I love many cars from that era, but I simply could never stand GTOs or Chevelles. They just remind me of some Vermont redneck kid trying to soup-up his mother's old car when I was in high school. HAHAHAHAHA

And as much as I despise "The Dukes of Hazzard", I would pick the Charger. You only need to see "Bullitt" once to fall in love with those and a 1968 Fastback Mustang with a 390.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    Charger
    The 440 6pk was a pavement chewing beast!
    I mean if I can't have a boss 429 or Cobra Torino I'll pick the Mopar.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,027
    Options
    GTO
    Freshman year in college, one of my neighbors had a really nice red GTO ragtop with white racing stripes. Used to give us plebes rides occasionally. LOL
    Also my first personal car was a Pontiac - a 1970 Catalina in avocado green sold to me on my 21st birthday by my Grandfather for $1. :# (But I wasn't allowed to drive it until I replaced the water pump. Oof!)
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    None of them, I prefer the dust covered Yugo, sitting out in the barn...
    I kinda wish I still had my grandmothers 1972 Olds Cutlass
    with the 350 rocket engine in it. B)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    GTO
    GTO....not even a contest of the choices given.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Charger
    And people think the grilles on cars are too big these days.

:)

I'd take the Charger for looks and cos it's got a Hemi.
  • msg
    edited December 2022
    Options
    GTO
    I'm a little depressed right now because I'm stuck with an American Muscle Car that I don't know much about. If it doesn't have an 8-track, I'm slittin' my wrists. If I gotta drive 70s American, I should at least be able to blast Freddy Fender from the sun-rotted dash mount mono speaker.

err, wait - are these still 60s?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Chevelle
    Chevelle if it was a 454 version.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1970-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-454-ls6

I liked the earlier GTO's, but not that version. 65 was my favorite GTO, 389/360hp with 3 x 2bbl carbs.

BTW, street HEMI's back then were hard to keep in tune. The average Joe who bought one couldn't keep it tuned correctly. Not like it is now with computer controlled engines.

Post edited by Milito on
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Yeah, I had a 67 Dodge Dart GT in college, it had dual points, and they had to be set quite often. I got real good at it. Most kids don’t even know what points are. Or a carb for that matter.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    GTO
    Don, I don't miss points or carbs, but I do miss the simplicity of the older cars.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,595
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Charger
    All great cars, and shown in totally stock configuration (right down to the tires) and in the same, or similar enough, colors to make the polling real and relevant. A little surprised to see the GTO that far out in front. Love the orphan brands, though.

I had the Mopars engrained in me at my impressionable ages, so it is a no-brainer choice for me, even thought I'm not a big Dodge Charger fan, honestly. My dad owned and collected mostly Plymouths for as long as I can remember, though oddly, he did have a few GM products along the way for his daily drivers. Went to many NASCAR races in the '70s and Richard Petty was my childhood hero.

On HEMIs ... Dad had a 2-,--- mile '67 HEMI GTX for awhile in the late-80's/early-90's, which I was fortunate to get to drive a fair amount. Yep, things like points, dual quad carbs and solid lifters are not for sissies. But, when everything is working together as it should, all the sounds, smells and feelings of g-forces happening at the same time are a thing of beauty from an era that will never exist again. That said, he also had a '70 Superbird with a 440 6bbl. Only car I have driven up until I got my '17 Challenger Hellcat that would set you back in the seat at 70 mph like you were taking off from a dead stop and keep pulling hard for as fast as you dared to go. The GTX had nowhere near the top end pull that Superbird had.

Thanks for the thread, @treitz3. Good time thinking back on those memories.
    Post edited by bcwsrt on
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Charger
    My dad owned and daily drove a 1966 Ford Fairlane GT 390 from shortly after I was born until I was about 7 years old. It affected me positively. My family went from Ohio to Nova Scotia and back one summer in that. AC was winding the windows down.

:)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Chevelle
    Milito wrote: »

Me too. The LS6 had the closed or bathtub chamber heads. Power robbing and high emissions. Open chamber heads on the rat offered a significant boost in power and better emissions. Lots of guys messed up when torquing the big chevy 7/16" rod bolts and spun rod bearings. GM had a torque spec of ~65-70 lb-ft, but you were supposed to torque for, IIRC, like .006" to .007" bolt stretch. It could take 80 to 95 lb-ft to get that stretch. I started out racing Super Stock with a '68 428CJ Mustang fastback. Eventually moved to the Chevy, raced a Camaro.

Points need good lube packed behind the rubbing block or they would wear quickly.

I was pretty good at carbs. Guys would put big overlap cams in, lose inches of vacuum and they couldn't get them to idle properly. Idle air screws were unresponsive, power valves open. They would idle so rich due to the idle transfer slots being fully exposed and throttle plates open so far the main venturis were dripping fuel.

Drill the right size holes in the throttle plates and you'd end up with proper idle speed with only .040" to .060" of the idle transfer slot exposed beneath the throttle plate. Swap power valves with lower opening ones or use power valve plugs and jet up a bit to compensate for the extra fuel power valves made available to the main jet well.

On the Quadrajet, you'd have to use lower tension springs to keep the primary metering rods in the jets at idle. Some NHRA classes required the QJ so you had to know what to do or pay someone to do it.

Ah, the good old days and my old guy memories.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Charger
    Good thing your dad didn't also have these.

w9szwzeksa3w.png

ohrtl3z3mqmk.png

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    GTO
    Emlyn wrote: »
    And people think the grilles on cars are too big these days.

Teenagers do the darndest things ... alcohol consumption wasn’t allowed in Michigan until 21 but the drinking age in Windsor Ontario Canada was 19 and as luck would have it, only about 30 minutes south of Detroit . . . Sooo

ROAD TRIP

The ginormous space between the rad and the grill in my 74 Charger would facilitate not one but 2 cases of beer. IIRC, the spacing between the grill was rather large. To keep the RCMP from suspecting anything as we approached customs, we’d slide the cases into black plastic garbage bags.
    Did that many times. Never got caught
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • boston1450
    Options
    GTO
    2023/24 Chevy Chevelle will be hitting the streets soon. Up to 275,000.00 is crazy. qdjtrtrv7tlu.jpg
    ks94mpv2fm7p.jpg

Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    GTO
    IIRC the body is on a Camaro frame
    Randy/Maine
  • msg
    Options
    GTO
    Nice, Rich.
    Got me thinking about "my own" old days playing with the Weber conversion in my 87 Toyota 22R. I wound up with a nice collection of jets and a decent working knowledge of the ins and outs of getting Webers installed and tuned in those trucks. It all hinged on proper install and seal otherwise the vacuum leaks would cause overcompensation of one control or other, and misconfiguration. Get it well sealed and reasonably configured and it was a pretty smooth, reliable setup for years at a stretch with minimal adjustment and cleaning. Carbs def had their benefits. It was analog for cars and trucks!
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Milito wrote: »

Me too. The LS6 had the closed or bathtub chamber heads. Power robbing and high emissions. Open chamber heads on the rat offered a significant boost in power and better emissions. Lots of guys messed up when torquing the big chevy 7/16" rod bolts and spun rod bearings. GM had a torque spec of ~65-70 lb-ft, but you were supposed to torque for, IIRC, like .006" to .007" bolt stretch. It could take 80 to 95 lb-ft to get that stretch. I started out racing Super Stock with a '68 428CJ Mustang fastback. Eventually moved to the Chevy, raced a Camaro.

Points need good lube packed behind the rubbing block or they would wear quickly.

I was pretty good at carbs. Guys would put big overlap cams in, lose inches of vacuum and they couldn't get them to idle properly. Idle air screws were unresponsive, power valves open. They would idle so rich due to the idle transfer slots being fully exposed and throttle plates open so far the main venturis were dripping fuel.

Drill the right size holes in the throttle plates and you'd end up with proper idle speed with only .040" to .060" of the idle transfer slot exposed beneath the throttle plate. Swap power valves with lower opening ones or use power valve plugs and jet up a bit to compensate for the extra fuel power valves made available to the main jet well.

On the Quadrajet, you'd have to use lower tension springs to keep the primary metering rods in the jets at idle. Some NHRA classes required the QJ so you had to know what to do or pay someone to do it.

Ah, the good old days and my old guy memories.

I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Charger
    I really like all 3 cars but the Charger is my top choice followed strong by the GTO. I really love that car . A friend of mine back in the day had one and I loved driving around in it. Actually both the Charger and GTO , I had friends that owned them and I got to spend time in both of those cars. Both wonderful.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Chevelle
    msg wrote: »
    Nice, Rich.
    Got me thinking about "my own" old days playing with the Weber conversion in my 87 Toyota 22R. I wound up with a nice collection of jets and a decent working knowledge of the ins and outs of getting Webers installed and tuned in those trucks. It all hinged on proper install and seal otherwise the vacuum leaks would cause overcompensation of one control or other, and misconfiguration. Get it well sealed and reasonably configured and it was a pretty smooth, reliable setup for years at a stretch with minimal adjustment and cleaning. Carbs def had their benefits. It was analog for cars and trucks!

Nice to hear from another carb guy! Webers offered fantastic off idle performance! Great low and mid-range torque. They looked kewl set up on a v8 too!

My last street car was a '72 Chevelle SS replicant. I installed the SS dash with tach to make it more convincing. It had a 468BBC. I used a vacuum secondary carb that was opened up for more cfm. (Machine shop I worked at part time had flow bench).

I ruined a couple of vacuum pots before arriving at the perfect depth slots under the vacuum pot check ball so they would open quick without bogging the rpm. The check ball was important to rapidly close secondaries when you let off the the throttle and acted as restriction for slow opening. (There is no accelerator pump on vacuum secondary carb. Just idle transfer slot and main venturis).

The Chevelle ran 11 teens. Guys couldn't believe a vacuum secondary carb could do that. Much more streetable than a mechanical secondary.

The rear suspension had Super Stock mod to change angle of upper control arms on rear diff. That changed height and point of lift, instant center. Cars have a length and height center of gravity. The idea is to push at or just below the height center.

If you draw lines through a four link suspension, where they meet is the point of lift and push. (I worked part time at a drag race chassis shop too).

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    Chevelle
    I really like the GTO but went with my teenage obsession- Chevelle SS.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Charger
    1ms8qjaedgoy.jpeg

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    GTO
    I would take the GTO as well - My first car was a 1970 Tempest in gray primer (not really) so the GTO was the upgrade I could never afford.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    GTO
    Friends Dad had GTO and a Barracuda both cars I would of loved to have owned.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)