QOBUZ - The hidden gems

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
edited November 2022 in 2 Channel Audio
Okay folks, I am going to try something off the beaten path. Something that hasn't been tried before and hopefully, something that will ensure a great discussion on the one thing that has alluded many a forum.

That being the actual "discussion" of the music!

What this thread is meant for is those rare gems (NOT just what you like to hear) that you discover on Qobuz that are worthy of someone else reading this thread to listen too.

A great recording.

Genre's do NOT matter in this thread. If you run across something that is simply the crème de la crème of audiophilia?

Post it here.

Caveat - It MUST be available on Qobuz.

Any history about the song or album, please share with us. Any history about the singers, players, special equipment or recording techniques, please share that with us.

This is NOT the, "What are you listening too" thread. This is a thread to where we actually share and discuss the music....the one thing that we all enjoy. Please be respectful and don't just post what you are listening too. If you want a post count? Move to the other thread.

This is a thread to find those hidden gems of music that we all can enjoy and talk about.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    2xnujvtfyjd9.jpg

Sound quality for not being high res is great. The fee beatles covers they do I thought sounded great.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited November 2022
  • Braddles63
    edited November 2022
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Just saw this and I’m very “innarested” as I’ve tried looking up may suggested songs and to to avail . . .

Qobuz has a vast library... but slanted a certain way

I’ll comment more later

One bug comes to mind is that Marisa Ronstandt and The Know-It-All’s . .. LP Blueberry Moon, is NOT available on Q

Yes, she’s related to Linda

as an aside . . . Tom, I hope those mammoth speakers are your cup of tea and I’m hoping for a Mannkitchen BF Sale. A while back that were offering a discount that I should’ve jumped on.

It’s a a lot of dough for ground pepper . . . .but I’m a pepper nut job
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Tom Scott LP Target (Live in Japan/1988) sounds good to my ears ...on Qobuz

I’m still stretching the legs of the Buchardt Zebras . . . Impressive sound from a small box
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    erniejade wrote: »
    2xnujvtfyjd9.jpg

Sound quality for not being high res is great. The fee beatles covers they do I thought sounded great.

The album sounds spectacular but....I cannot find that song on the album. There were a couple I really liked and 2 that I saved to "Favorites".

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Just saw this and I’m very “innarested” as I’ve tried looking up may suggested songs and to to avail . . .

Qobuz has a vast library... but slanted a certain way.

That's exactly why I did this. Trey and Rick (part of the Charlotte audio crew) text me all the time to check this song out or that song out. Well, I'd go to look it up on Qobuz and I couldn't find it. Likewise, I would find a hidden gem and tell them about it. Same thing. They couldn't find it on Tidal!

That got very frustrating (as I am sure you have been as well), looking to listen to a suggestion and it wasn't available!

I finally got so tired of the BS, I went ahead and subscribed to both Tidal and Qobuz but created these threads, so that when a gem is found and suggested? At least those who subscribe to that particular service/thread can ACTUALLY find and listen to the daggum suggestion!

I am hoping that these sister threads both get quality posts and not quantity posts. I want to talk about the music, share recently discovered, well recorded gems and actually talk about the one thing that we all should care about more than anything else in this hobby.....the MUSIC!

As far as the pepper mill goes? Let me know if they ever do go back on sale, please. I might get me another one for another flavor peppercorn (probably white or Szechwan). I had no idea that they ever went on sale! If I see it on sale, I'll do the same for you. 😉👍

Tom

• treitz3
    I got one for you guys - I was turned onto this one by one of our local cat's, Ron Cook at our last meet.

los67ax08vbj.png

It's a song called, "Back Row Politics".

Tom
  • GlennDog
    Marie Campbell .... auld lang syne

There are many versions of this, but IMHO Marie does it best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5KWTlXkGlM

The LP The Cast is superior
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Great thread, hope we can keep it going. I haven't spent a lot of time looking for obscure music but I did run across one that I really enjoyed.

Pat Traverse & Carmine Appice - Bazooka released in 2005. I really enjoyed the straight forward rock and since Carmine was a good friend of Bonzo's you can kind of hear how they influenced each other.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • GlennDog
    crème de la crème of audiophilia?

Dunno bout that, but these are toe tappers fo sho

In case yer wondering . . . I’m into Swing (music) . . .

Listen to them in their entirety. Unless you hate swing, I’ll bet you listen many more times!

ena29xkj03d2.png
    wd6smb2l5ar6.png
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    On 2nd thought, start with this one .... Swing Sucks

wa8ehwqmusgp.png
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    treitz3 wrote: »
    erniejade wrote: »
    2xnujvtfyjd9.jpg

The album sounds spectacular but....I cannot find that song on the album. There were a couple I really liked and 2 that I saved to "Favorites".

Was supposed to say the Beatles covers not free lol. Come together I thought was very cool.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • GlennDog
    treitz3 wrote: »
    As far as the pepper mill goes? Let me know if they ever do go back on sale, please. I might get me another one for another flavor peppercorn (probably white or Szechwan). I had no idea that they ever went on sale! If I see it on sale, I'll do the same for you. 😉👍

20 off sale is ON

PM sent
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • sctvgz30p6bw.png
    This is some rather eclectic stuff. At the very least,play the first cut, BUBBLES. Turn up the volume!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Rediscovered a ton of stuff.... Bachman Turner Overdrive.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    I never would have thought to do this but I gotta hand it to my wife, Kimmie. (Kim).

She found a song that I have been yearning for and looking for for some time. Now, while that song did not sound as good on the big boy system as it did while we were watching Yellowstone on the LR system?

Check out the original soundtrack for Yellowstone by Brian Taylor.

I thought it would be ho-hum but as I listen? Wow.

Tom
  • treitz3
    This has nothing to do with "Hidden Gems" but I have found out that Qobuz now has a beta forum. Some old timers on Qobuz may already have an invitation email with the link to get in, otherwise, it is by invitation only.

3bztuuu6aegd.png

You can ask Qobuz direct questions, add in suggestions and read suggestions from Qobuz, as well as from other members.

Currently listening to Roger Waters, The Lockdown Sessions (one of the suggestions from the founder). In his (Rodney Leonardo's) words,

"Definitely you should listen to the whole album, but I would like to highlight Comfortably Numb, the whole song's sound effects will take you on a deep journey. 

Have a good immersive listening experience. Enjoy !!!"

https://open.qobuz.com/track/187359266

mv4gfnucx90c.png

Tom

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited January 2023
    I'm home all day, alone, to listen to the rig. Running through a myriad of stuff.

Ran across this and it's one of those live recordings where you feel you are there. I love how you can "see" all the jazz instruments on the stage. The percussion is excellent. Norah has never sounded better and her piano playing has matured.

I got goosebumps listening to not only Norah, but the recording. It's a mixture of tracks from 3 live concerts. They do a great job mixing the songs as it's hard to tell it's not in one venue.

yxzrzf1q51w9.png

A hidden gem for sure.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    I liked the version she did of Black Hole Sun on that album. Different.

Tom
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    Wow, yeah, her voice comes outta nowhere on that one!
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Braddles63
    edited January 2023
    Title track will test your systems bass control.

8x4xi9rlxiym.png
  • Speaking of Bass. This New Zealand band has some tracks that explores the depths with their reggae influences Although the band favours the term "hi-tek soul" to describe its music, the simple fact is that most of these songs fall squarely in the reggae/dub category

cnfk3qeuttsu.png
  • Braddles63
    edited January 2023
    Like this track.

o3iuav99niai.png
  • You have to excuse me if I post stuff you are already familiar with. It’s new to me.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    edited January 2023
    Haha!! I feel that way everywhere I post here!

As far as I'm concerned, carry on, @Braddles63. I only have Apple Music for streaming, but I like to see if I can find some of the ones you guys post here and in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread on there. Found lots of new stuff from everyone that I never would have otherwise!
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • GlennDog
    Yo, yo, yo . . . U like Zep? Who doesn’t?

Check out my gurl ....

ROCK ON

hda3vaos86dz.png
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    This gal has a sexy Twang in her (voice) box . . . . Me likey

hs2wgw97ysyj.png
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    edited March 2023
    utkq0wwkhcth.jpg

"Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay".

Simply awesome.

Tom