Polk L800 speakers - SPL below 100 Hz dropped about 6db.

12346»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    So. Any idea why you experienced a sudden loss of bass (audibly) while in the middle of them playing? Was that just imagination?

Glad you are getting good bass now and that you got back to us.

audio placebo effect.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Sometimes the problems are easy to fix.

I'm glad this problem was just the measuring equipment.

I've heard those speakers are really nice and your new measurements looks great on paper now.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I knew it was the measurement microphone the entire time, I just wanted to see if you could figure it out on your own.
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So. Any idea why you experienced a sudden loss of bass (audibly) while in the middle of them playing? Was that just imagination?

Glad you are getting good bass now and that you got back to us.

audio placebo effect.

paranoia effect ? 😉
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Jarod888 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Rotflmao!
    Try just using your ears skeeter!

Sometimes the bass sounds weaker, maybe it's my ears.

Get you a nice sub or 2. You are going to end up trying to push those speakers and blow something.

I guess I wanted too much bass from them.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I knew it was the measurement microphone the entire time, I just wanted to see if you could figure it out on your own.

Not hard to figure it out after checking everything except microphone. lol
  • Tony M wrote: »
    Sometimes the problems are easy to fix.

I'm glad this problem was just the measuring equipment.

I've heard those speakers are really nice and your new measurements looks great on paper now.

Thanks, the new measurements looks much better.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Bad Drew...lol
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    Jarod888 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I fixed this issue on 7th of November 2022 by myself.

I bought a new Umik-1 microphone, it turns out my old Umik-1 microphone was not working properly sometimes, completely unpredictable.

Thanks very much for all the help.
    @Jarod888 hey man, glad you got it sorted, but I have to say, you gotta see the humor in saying, "I fixed this myself." :DB)

But yeah, if you have a bass suckout, you do need a good sub. I'm in the same position with my L800s. Sound great, but the bass with them, and every other speaker I've used in this space, has been up and down, depending on track/album/genre. To worsen the situation, my listening position is not optimal for bass, speakers alone. I basically sit almost exactly at a null point.

One of the best additions to my main 2ch system to date has been a quality, music-first sub with remote control so I can make adjustments on the fly between difference audio. Fills beautifully, and the L800s do the rest. Really enjoying this setup these days. That suckout has been frustrating me for 8 years. Sure, I've used non-remote subs before, and got mostly there, but the remote control dials the experience significantly, and I haven't even run the room correction yet.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Bass suckout. Yep. I've been experimenting (don't laugh) with some very large rolled up pieces of foam which are at this point whatever I can get my hands on, in the corners of the room, extending up to the ceiling. The results are pretty amazing so far, with respect to smoothing out the bass response in the sweet spot in my small room. This is just proof of concept until I can get some DIY tube traps made up that will look nice.

3gvlmqw2ray4.jpg

v4zuygriaobw.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    F1nut wrote: »
    Bad Drew...lol

Yeah, I'm a monster.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    3gvlmqw2ray4.jpg

v4zuygriaobw.jpg

Ok. Now I just feel sorry for you...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,137
    edited November 2022
    audioluvr wrote: »
    3gvlmqw2ray4.jpg

v4zuygriaobw.jpg

Ok. Now I just feel sorry for you...

Why is that? I proved that my room needs bass traps. Next step is to build Tube Traps a la Art Noxon's designs as a friend of mine has done. The bass now is punchy to the point where you can feel it in your chest, and I did it with free foam that was laying around. I thought I made that clear. Feel sorry for yourself that you need to belittle uneccessarily. And you miss the point that I was sharing my experience for those who have the desire to improve their own audio experience who may have a similar situation to mine, as in a small office listening room.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    What an exceptionally entertaining thread.
    Congrats to the op on finding and solving the problem and kudos for fooling all the experts on both the problem and your intentions here :)
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Very interesting, pretty much confirmation bias. Suspects possible bass loss. Measures speakers and sees massive bass loss, suddenly the speakers have no bass.

Glad the speakers weren’t damaged. This is the definition of audiophile problems though lol. All our gadgets get in the way of listening and enjoying the music
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • You want to add bass get you some svs subs I have a svs sb -4000 and have all the bass you could ever want and it blends great with my legacy speakers.
  • Nice nice you've found the issue that was causing concern.
    It's sweet to be able to sit down and enjoy the tunes.

Have some KC and the Sunshine band playing.
    Great memories of watching them live at Disney World back in the day, "Grad Night 74?", and now they're live in our living room :)

I Get Lifted playing right now.