Polk L800 speakers - SPL below 100 Hz dropped about 6db.

Options

Comments

• Jarod888
    Options
    Jarod888 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    So other than testing the sound using software what is your next step to troubleshoot and get issue repaired?

Polk will send someone here to test the spearkers next week. Thanks.
    The L800 speakers are covered by warranty.

I would be very interested in knowing what they find, and shocked they are sending a live human to do the work. Is it law where you live that makes them do this?

That's how warranty works here in New Zealand, I was extremely shocked when someone suggested me to repair the speakers by myself.

In New Zealand, we simply get a replacement or full refund. We never repair anything under warranty by ourselves.

I post my issues here to seek tech support from Polk US directly to see if I can resolve this issue in another way.

It was me that made the suggestion. In the U.S. Polk sends us the failed parts and we put them back together.

Oh, why? Polk Audio is an USA company, right? You are supposed to get better service in the USA, isn't it?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I don't really care what you said, unless you work for Polk Audio, do you work for Polk Audio?
    Thanks.

No. Do you work for Polk Audio?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    So other than testing the sound using software what is your next step to troubleshoot and get issue repaired?

I would be very interested in knowing what they find, and shocked they are sending a live human to do the work. Is it law where you live that makes them do this?

That's how warranty works here in New Zealand, I was extremely shocked when someone suggested me to repair the speakers by myself.

In New Zealand, we simply get a replacement or full refund. We never repair anything under warranty by ourselves.

I post my issues here to seek tech support from Polk US directly to see if I can resolve this issue in another way.

It was me that made the suggestion. In the U.S. Polk sends us the failed parts and we put them back together.

Oh, why? Polk Audio is an USA company, right? You are supposed to get better service in the USA, isn't it?

It is the easiest way to do things over here.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jarod888
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't really care what you said, unless you work for Polk Audio, do you work for Polk Audio?
    Thanks.

No.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Cool. Glad we cleared that up.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options

Shocked to see some strange guy call my post "elaborate troll".

Don't sweat it honestly. We've had some fly by's that were only here to sling mud and insult the brand with sometimes very fictitious problems just see see us try and diagnosis a problem that was never there to begin with. They would then crawl over to another forum and go " Hey guys check this out LOL"

Had it been me instead of testing to over and over, I would have taken out the XO and after Scott made the inductor comment and looked over it as best I could. no amount of testing you did was ever going to fix the problem. You knew there was a problem so the constant testing wasn't going to fix the problem, you were just reafffirming a problem you already knew you had. Personally Scotts inductor or XO problem is where my money is at. I'm in the camp that the problem happened before you aquired the set and just took time to rear it's head. Who knows it could be as simple as they had a hard shipping and something came loose or broke a solder joint.

• Clipdat
    edited November 2022
    Options
    "Emlyn wrote: »
    If it were me and the tone control adjustments weren't doing anything I'd disconnect every cable and reconnect just the integrated to the speakers using a single simple source component like a CD player then see how it sounds. I'd also remove the granite(?) slabs from beneath the speakers and take those rubber feet off.

Why hasn't this suggestion/advice been followed?

• Jarod888
    Jarod888 Posts: 61
    edited November 2022
    Options
    If it were me and the tone control adjustments weren't doing anything I'd disconnect every cable and reconnect just the integrated to the speakers using a single simple source component like a CD player then see how it sounds. I'd also remove the granite(?) slabs from beneath the speakers and take those rubber feet off.

I said it clearly in my post, My Dell laptop connected to Rotel RA-1597 MK2, then RA-1597MK2 connect to the L800 speakers. Isn't that simply enough?

I am here to seek support from Polk Team. So I followed suggestion of Scott Orth.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited November 2022
    Options

Indeed. I am not at all convinced that there's anything wrong with them (other than, perhaps, being a bad match for the room) -- and/or that their LF performance changed "suddenly".
    If the latter -- and as I suggested in (IIRC) the first reply* to the original query, on 31 October -- turn off any and all DSP/EQ; reset any and all electronics to 'factory defaults' and see how they do.

• Jarod888
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Indeed. I am not at all convinced that there's anything wrong with them (other than, perhaps, being a bad match for the room) -- and/or that their LF performance changed "suddenly".
    If the latter -- and as I suggested in (IIRC) the first reply* to the original query, on 31 October -- turn off any and all DSP/EQ; reset any and all electronics to 'factory defaults' and see how they do.

The Rotel RA-1592MK2 has been re-set to Factory Defaults many times. I don't use DSP/EQ when testing. Thanks.
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I said it clearly in my post, My Dell laptop connected to Rotel RA-1597 MK2, then RA-1597MK2 connect to the L800 speakers. Isn't that simply enough?

Not really, because it doesn't rule out the source (PC) as a potential culprit.

The key is that the symptom happened to both speakers simultaneously. That would be extremely unlikely that both crossovers would experience simultaneous parts/solder joint failure.

Do you have any other source other than the PC laptop that you could use? A fixed line-level source like a CD player would be a logical choice for this.
  • Jarod888
    Options

Thanks, that's easiest way for Polk Audio, not easiest way for end customers. I hope Polk Audio will improve customer support in the future.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited November 2022
    Options
    NZ market is much smaller for everything compared to US. Products would not be cost effective if Polk had in home service.

Anyway, have you scheduled an appointment

Good luck with your issue
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited November 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    no amount of testing you did was ever going to fix the problem. You knew there was a problem so the constant testing wasn't going to fix the problem, you were just reaffirming a problem you already knew you had. Personally Scotts inductor or XO problem is where my money is at. I'm in the camp that the problem happened before you acquired the set

Kamala, is there a problem... :D:D:p

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Thanks.

I do think he stayed at a Holiday Inn at some point. He's qualified to land a 747 on an aircraft carrier after a night there. After two nights, he would be the Chief of Neurosurgery at John's-Hopkins....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    Yeah, the computer feed's definitely suspect -- given what we know and what we don't.
    Basic troubleshooting methodology.
    Try a CD player and a redbook CD.

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Yeah, the computer feed's definitely suspect -- given what we know and what we don't.
    Basic troubleshooting methodology.
    Try a CD player and a redbook CD.

^^^THIS!

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Let's see the test results with the Focal speakers and same inputs 😉
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options

Thanks, that's easiest way for Polk Audio, not easiest way for end customers. I hope Polk Audio will improve customer support in the future.

I suppose we’re just hardier stock over here in the US - and we know how to use a screwdriver.

I’m pretty sure that we’ll never hear the outcome from the OP - especially when it’s determined to be a source issue.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Jarod888
    Options

Thanks, just tested Focal for you. The microphone is about 2cm from the woofer of Focal 936. just like how I test Polk L800.
    You can see the bass response of Focal 936 is much better, that is just a 6.5 inch woofer.

2iihlfc64fq4.jpg
    syahgvh8i01o.jpg

• Jarod888
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »

I suppose we’re just hardier stock over here in the US - and we know how to use a screwdriver.

I’m pretty sure that we’ll never hear the outcome from the OP - especially when it’s determined to be a source issue.

I will report here if it's determined to be a source issue. All I want is find out what's wrong and fix it. Thanks.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I want to know exactly what it was that caused the problem. Inquiring minds and all…. Regardless of the outcome, I would encourage you to continue to post and be a part of the group.

• Jarod888
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Shocked to see some strange guy call my post "elaborate troll".

Don't sweat it honestly. We've had some fly by's that were only here to sling mud and insult the brand with sometimes very fictitious problems just see see us try and diagnosis a problem that was never there to begin with. They would then crawl over to another forum and go " Hey guys check this out LOL"

Had it been me instead of testing to over and over, I would have taken out the XO and after Scott made the inductor comment and looked over it as best I could. no amount of testing you did was ever going to fix the problem. You knew there was a problem so the constant testing wasn't going to fix the problem, you were just reafffirming a problem you already knew you had. Personally Scotts inductor or XO problem is where my money is at. I'm in the camp that the problem happened before you aquired the set and just took time to rear it's head. Who knows it could be as simple as they had a hard shipping and something came loose or broke a solder joint.

Thanks for the help.
  • Clipdat
    Options

Thanks, just tested Focal for you. The microphone is about 2cm from the woofer of Focal 936. just like how I test Polk L800.
    You can see the bass response of Focal 936 is much better, that is just a 6.5 inch woofer.

2iihlfc64fq4.jpg
    syahgvh8i01o.jpg

I fail to see what this test proves other than the Focal speakers having boomier mid-bass. Am I missing something?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited November 2022
    Options

2iihlfc64fq4.jpg
    syahgvh8i01o.jpg

The Focal has huge unnatural bass boost meaning it's either poorly designed or it was done on purpose to appeal to those who like a certain type of music. The fact that you think it is better than the Polk pretty much proves you don't have a clue.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jarod888
    Jarod888 Posts: 61
    edited November 2022
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

2iihlfc64fq4.jpg
    syahgvh8i01o.jpg

The Focal has huge unnatural bass boost meaning it's either poorly designed or it was done on purpose to appeal to those who like a certain type of music. The fact that you think it is better than the Polk pretty much proves you don't have a clue.

This test is a nearfield test for woofer only, the test result shows L800's sub bass is too light when both L800 and Focal 936 have same overall volume.

• Jarod888
    Options

2iihlfc64fq4.jpg
    syahgvh8i01o.jpg

I fail to see what this test proves other than the Focal speakers having boomier mid-bass. Am I missing something?

This test is a nearfield test for woofer only, the test result shows L800's sub bass is too light when both L800 and Focal 936 have same overall volume. Too light sub bass means something is wrong with L800.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I completely disagree. Your test of the Focal does nothing more than show they are completely different speakers. Your conclusions are no different than if you were to compare a Corvette to a Honda Civic and saying something must be wrong with the latter because it’s slow.

I am beginning to think you need to lay off the eucalyptus leaves.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,431
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I completely disagree. Your test of the Focal does nothing more than show they are completely different speakers. Your conclusions are no different than if you were to compare a Corvette to a Honda Civic and saying something must be wrong with the latter because it’s slow.

It also shows that you are not as smart as you think you are…

Ouch. Is this before or after coffee, Marine?!?

What's missing is a before of the Focals under same test conditions to show that they didn't drop, too, but maybe OP knows them well enough to sense whether they're performing the same [shrug]

Isn't it already Choosedee in NZ? Are these fixed yet?

Meanwhile...
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I see a precipitous drop in nearfield response in BOTH speakers starting around 60Hz. Why would that be happening nearfield where room effects are greatly minimized? Is it an effect of a ported speaker? Is the Focal ported at the bottom like the L800? I don't know about Eucalyptus but I would be interested in seeing for the Focal vs Polk at 30cm and 1m like you did with the other tests.

PS: Thanks for the tests. This is interesting no matter what the cause turns out to be.

PPS: World's Fastest Indian is one of my favorite movies lol
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform