Latest Netflix find

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    In From the Cold

The writing has a few cheesy lines, but call it good entertainment from me and my wife. The setting is in Madrid (with flashbacks to Moscow), which keeps it more interesting.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Saw that. It was pretty good!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    The Alpinist on Netflix. Watch it on a big screen in a dark theater setting. Best thing I have watched in a long time.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Just started Pieces of Her, looks promising.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • muncybob
    Thanks for the suggestion on The Last Kingdom, watched all episodes and felt entertained all the way.
    Just watched the short series The Watcher, one of those who done it and had you guessing until the end and I'll leave it at that to avoid any spoilers but....wtf!!!
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    The Alpinist on Netflix. Watch it on a big screen in a dark theater setting. Best thing I have watched in a long time.

Totally agree! I watched this on my phone over a flight, and it's really stuck with me. One of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    muncybob wrote: »
    Just watched the short series The Watcher, one of those who done it and had you guessing until the end and I'll leave it at that to avoid any spoilers but....wtf!!!

I really liked that series!

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    The Terminal List on Prime is spectacular! Even though it could be classified as a "revenge thriller", it exhibits enough unique elements to make it fresh. The story is compelling and fast paced (I burned through the first 3 episodes on my first sitting, and I rarely binge). The characters are well thought-out and interesting. If you've ever watched a Jason Bourne film and wished for a little (or a lot) more emotional buy-in with the characters, then this is for you. The tactical acumen is spot on (the EFP weapon deployment was a thing of beauty) and the attention to detail is perfect. Believability with regards to the realism of physical ability and the effects of physical damage are also very accurate - This is not a "Rambo" film, lol. The story is fast paced, yet detailed and nuanced at the same time. It has some very touching moments, and some very satisfying payoffs.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    I don't know if it has been mentioned but "The Sinner" was really good. Just finished the most recent season #4.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • kevhed72
    Agree on The Sinner....some of the plot twists can be hoaky but it seems to be getting better. Just started season 3....
  • jdjohn
    "Maniac", with Jonah Hill, Emma Stone, et al...even Sally Fields
    "The Black Phone"

These have been mentioned before, but since it's Halloween,
    "The Haunting of Hill House"
    "The Haunting of Bly Manor" both directed/written by the same guy, with a few of the same actors/actresses in both...but playing different characters
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Probably already been mentioned, but I am 4 or 5 episodes into The Sandman and it started a little slow but now I am really digging it.

If you have Apple TV, Acapulco is hilarious…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    jdjohn wrote: »
    "Maniac", with Jonah Hill, Emma Stone, et al...even Sally Fields
    "The Black Phone"

These have been mentioned before, but since it's Halloween,
    "The Haunting of Hill House"
    "The Haunting of Bly Manor" both directed/written by the same guy, with a few of the same actors/actresses in both...but playing different characters
    I LOVED Maniac, but it’s certainly not fit everyone. Great underrated suggestion.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • "All Quiet on the Western Front" is good.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    "All Quiet on the Western Front" is good.

I started it, but it didn’t grab me in. Maybe I need to try again.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • muncybob
    It is a good book too!
  • kevhed72
    Dracula. Turn out the lights, lock the kids in their rooms, and hold on. Outstanding so far!
  • jdjohn
    My wife and I are enjoying "The Sinner". We're through season 2.

We thought the "Terminal List" was great.

We're still trying to figure out how to watch season 6 of "Better Call Saul".
    Also, "Rectified" is proving to be a challenge to watch all the way through.

I think we've given-up on "The Blacklist"...it's getting too hokey now.

I really enjoyed "Andor" on Disney+...if you are a Star Wars fan. It is VERY well done.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    verb wrote: »
    Fauda (Chaos) So I stumbled upon this show last week, and got hooked! Israeli action drama that deals with the issues in that part of the world. English subtitles, and over dubs. Already into season 3! Even the Mrs got hooked!

0ni13o3qlu8c.png

Great series. I just finished season 3 yesterday. I cannot believe it took me a while to check it out. I was hooked from the first episode.
  • muncybob
    What's up with Netflix dvds? I have over 50 in my wait list and many have been there for nearly a year. We have cut back to 1 at a time and mainly stream now due to this. We prefer dvds when we can get them for better video/sound than our streamer.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    muncybob wrote: »
    What's up with Netflix dvds? I have over 50 in my wait list and many have been there for nearly a year. We have cut back to 1 at a time and mainly stream now due to this. We prefer dvds when we can get them for better video/sound than our streamer.

They still do that? It's been years since I've seen any being shipped through the our mail room, in years past I'd see 12-15 a day easily. I thought that stopped years ago.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    The Handmaid tale (on prime)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Just finished Resident Alien. Pretty good!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • muncybob
    We've seen 5 episodes so far. Lots of humor if you pay attention. Got to say, just not having a laugh track is worth the watch. Just finished Loudermilk, another "laughless" worth a watch.
  • muncybob
    Just finished the 8 episode of The Gentlemen. I liked it, the Mrs not so much. You may have a hard time with some of it due to cockney dialect.
  • jdjohn
    We liked The Gentlemen as well. Similar to other Guy Ritchie British gangster movies.

3 Body Problem is also good. We finished season 1...don't know when it will resume.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Also, "Rectified" is proving to be a challenge to watch all the way through.
    Jody, was that Rectified or Rectify? Rectify with Aden Young was one of the absolute best series I’ve ever seen. It’s pretty intense at times.

I think I watched Bloodline after that, and enjoyed that one as well.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2183404/
    nc6zhf9xifwt.jpeg
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    It was Rectify, Scott. It's been awhile, and I can't remember the exact issue, but I think after season one, it changed streaming services...or something like that.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    We just started watching the "3 body problem" on Netflix.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Clipdat wrote: »
    We just started watching the "3 body problem" on Netflix.

I read a review that said the first few episodes are pretty convoluted but then it gets better. Thoughts so far? Want a new sci-fi to watch with my wife and teenage daughter.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer