L800 - Single Ended Amp

Options
2»

Comments

• tjcinnamon
    tjcinnamon Posts: 97
    Options
    Is it pretty unanimous that the group thinks an Anthem MCA or P series would not reduce the SDA effect?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    tjcinnamon wrote: »
    Is it pretty unanimous that the group thinks an Anthem MCA or P series would not reduce the SDA effect?

It would be best to contact Anthem to enquire about the topology of their amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tjcinnamon
    tjcinnamon Posts: 97
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    tjcinnamon wrote: »

It would be best to contact Anthem to enquire about the topology of their amps.
    I emailed them yesterday and I’m hoping they get back to me. I saw an article about the P2 from 2012 talking about how it was single ended. I’m being extra cautious because I don’t want some vendor to eat the cost of me returning something.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The P2 has single ended and balanced output options.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    jaspritvid wrote: »
    The higher end Marantz use hypex so may not be best match but i believe the higher Denon's should be good

Pure nonsense.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    You will need to find out what the topology is. If it is dual differential you cannot use them with the L800.

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TelephoneAudio
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    That’s input
    The L800 are effected by the speaker amp output
    I’ve put a ticket in with Hypex on this
  • F1nut
    Options
    Chances are if the input is balanced differential, so is the output making the amp incompatible with the L800.

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Out of curiosity please respond as I also found this statement
    Hypex Ncore
    Along with the new level of Class D audio performance, ... input signals floating for a true balanced differential input, utilizing the Hypex Ncore NC1200.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• TelephoneAudio
    Options
    Chances are if the input is balanced differential, so is the output making the amp incompatible with the L800.

I’m guessing you’re right. Waiting on Hypex for the true true word on this
  • TelephoneAudio
    Options
    George from Deer Creek Audio - where I bought Nilai 500 monoblocks has confirmed these ARE compatible with Polk L800! Woot
    - “The Nilai 500 Monoblocks are not bridged internally. They will easily handle your Polk L800 speakers”
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    IMHO I would still wait for a response from Hypex
    Many don't understand the topology of the L800. Although they are SDA they are not the same of SDA of the past.

The amps will not blow up the speakers they just won't always sound correct. I have experienced the L800's and when the amp is wrong the stereo image floats as much as 10' in the room. Sounds crazy.

• F1nut
    Options
    George from Deer Creek Audio - where I bought Nilai 500 monoblocks has confirmed these ARE compatible with Polk L800! Woot
    - “The Nilai 500 Monoblocks are not bridged internally. They will easily handle your Polk L800 speakers”

It's entirely possible to have balanced dual differential inputs and outputs in an amp that is internally single-ended. With the L800 it's the dual differential topology that is the issue.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options

I would get that in writing before I would connect them to my Polks…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TelephoneAudio
    Options

I would get that in writing before I would connect them to my Polks…

Hypex Sales and Support both confirmed Nilai 500 monoblocks are compatible with L800 via email
  • TelephoneAudio
    Options
    Hypex support confirmed the Nilai 500 monoblock is a single ended amplifier.
    I.e. the amp Does-Not have a differential output
  • F1nut
    Options
    You're good to go then.

President of Club Polk

• TelephoneAudio
    Options
    You're good to go then.

Yup and shared elsewhere in case others have this niche idea / combo
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Keep us update, we look forward to hearing your results