L800 - Single Ended Amp

Options
Hi All,
I have a down payment on some L800’s. I’m looking for amps. I know the Anthem MCA will work but the Monoprice Monolith is what I have my eye on. That’s a single ended amp, correct?
I heard in the reviews that a single ended amp is what these speakers like.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Any amp or amps that are not fully differential balanced are ok to use with the L800.

As for your Monolith question, that's a budget HOME THEATER amp. Surely, the L800 deserves better. That said, it has the option to use unbalanced RCA connections, so it should work, but it would be wise to ask them about the topology.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    by "single ended" I assume the OP means "unbalanced" I/O?
    The thought of a single-ended power amplifier (as opposed to push-pull or "class D", i.e., PWM) with enough oompf to drive an L800 is... rather terrifying, actually! :o

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,278
    Options
    https://www.nataudio.com/images/logo.png

These single ended triode monoblocks might do it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    That is nothing but a logo picture.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Look at Pass amps. I have the X600.5, and love them. They have been upgraded to the X600.8.

https://www.passlabs.com/products/x600-8/
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tjcinnamon
    tjcinnamon Posts: 97
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Any amp or amps that are not fully differential balanced are ok to use with the L800.

As for your Monolith question, that's a budget HOME THEATER amp. Surely, the L800 deserves better. That said, it has the option to use unbalanced RCA connections, so it should work, but it would be wise to ask them about the topology.
    It's based off an ATI. It's $1300 for a 5 channel. It's well reviewed by AudioScienceReview and Audioholics. It's between that and an Anthem MCA525

I'm confused on what kind of amp I can use. Apparently, hypex and purifi based amps can't be. So is basically, these speakers don't work well with balanced connectors? Or is it different? How can I tell an amp is fully differential?
  • tjcinnamon
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Look at Pass amps. I have the X600.5, and love them. They have been upgraded to the X600.8.

https://www.passlabs.com/products/x600-8/
    That looks great.. but my budget is under $3500 :)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Been there. You’ll get there. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tjcinnamon
    Options
    Or is the term common grounded? the L800's don't play well with common grounded amps?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    mq0tp26rsqog.jpg

Oh, yes -- it's achievable. :)
    But it's still terrifying, whether the output devices are vacuum tube or soiled state.
    Remember that the output devices will be at full power dissipation all of the time in a single-ended amplfier (Class A operation by definition). :#
    The plate voltage on that bad boy pictured above is lethal, too. :)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    tjcinnamon wrote: »
    I'm confused on what kind of amp I can use. Apparently, hypex and purifi based amps can't be. So is basically, these speakers don't work well with balanced connectors? Or is it different? How can I tell an amp is fully differential?

Look at the marketing language or contact the company. Usually if a company designs such an amp it'll say something like "fully balanced from input to output" for a differential design because such amps are claimed to be less subject to interference in the circuitry. Quite often such an amp will have two power supplies inside the chassis with one for each channel. They may have both balanced and single ended (RCA) connectors on them. I have a Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp which is a differential design and not common ground. It has both types of connectors but the better set is the XLR set.
  • F1nut
    Options

It's based off an ATI. It's $1300 for a 5 channel. It's well reviewed by AudioScienceReview and Audioholics.

Good reasons to avoid it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Options
    I'd recommend spending the money to get a Parasound A21+ and be set for two channel amplification for the next twenty years.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    The JC5 is an excellent amp. Nice price on that one. Better than paying sticker price!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    The JC5 has excellent bass control of the woofers! It's seriously so good.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I just like looking at https://tmraudio.com/fresh-arrivals/ every day. It's OK if I look, as long as I don't touch!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It's OK if I look, as long as I don't touch!

Nope, nope not gonna.....

Even if I had a 10' pole.

I want one of those JC5's!!!
    One day.

• TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Options
    how about the amp selection from Sound United's own stable like Marantz and Denon?

The higher end Marantz use hypex so may not be best match but i believe the higher Denon's should be good? anyone tried em with PMA-2500NE or the PMA-A110? hows the matching?
  • tjcinnamon
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions all! I really like that JC5 but it’s out of my price range. I’m thinking the Anthem 325 is the best bet given that I need something for a center channel too.

The only thing that gives me pause is this quote from their website: “8 bipolar output devices per channel for less stress on each device”
    https://www.anthemav.com/products-archived/series=mca-series-gen2/model=mca-325/page=overview

I doubt it means fully balanced but I want to make sure. What does this marketing fluff mean as it relates to the fully differential setup.
  • tjcinnamon
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'd recommend spending the money to get a Parasound A21+ and be set for two channel amplification for the next twenty years.
    That one looks pretty nice too! If I could find one used.

I found a really banged up Anthem P2 but it won’t fit in my cabinet because of those rack mount brackets
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    I found a really banged up Anthem P2 but it won’t fit in my cabinet because of those rack mount brackets

Nothing a hack saw won't fix
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    Options
    TopperDude wrote: »
    how about the amp selection from Sound United's own stable like Marantz and Denon?

The higher end Marantz use hypex so may not be best match but i believe the higher Denon's should be good? anyone tried em with PMA-2500NE or the PMA-A110? hows the matching?

The Marantz PM-10 is a definite no-go, but the rest of their gear is ok to use with the L800.

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions all! I really like that JC5 but it’s out of my price range. I’m thinking the Anthem 325 is the best bet given that I need something for a center channel too.
    Don't sleep on the 3-channel Parasound Halo A31. The original retailed for $3000, the current version $3495. https://parasound.com/a31.php

Retail price examples
    $3295 new, Dealer - https://www.audiothesis.com/product-page/parasound-halo-a31-three-channel-amplifier
    $3095.99 new, Dealer - https://www.ebay.com/itm/174701692706?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
    $2999 new, Dealer - https://new-age-electronics.com/halo-by-parasound-a31.html
    $2100 + $195 s&h used, Reseller - https://reverb.com/item/40465113-parasound-a31

The specs are pretty much awesome. I have to repost these!
    • 250 watts RMS x 3, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω, all channels driven
    • 400 watts RMS x 3, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω, all channels driven
    • Current capacity: 60 amperes peak per channel

• Complementary MOSFET driver stage and JFET input stage
    • 24 beta-matched 15 amp, 60 MHz bipolar output transistors
    • 1.5 kVA encapsulated toroid power transformer with independent secondary windings for each channel
    • 98,400 µF power supply filter capacitance

• Power bandwidth: 5 Hz - 100 kHz, +0/-3 dB at 1 watt
    • Total harmonic distortion:< 0.2 % at full power
    • IM distortion: balanced 16 V rms < 0.04 %
    • Slew rate: > 130 V/µsecond
    • Dynamic headroom: > 1.5 dB
    • Interchannel crosstalk: > 78 dB at 1 kHz; > 63 dB at 20 kHz
    • Input sensitivity: 1 V for 28.28 V (THX Reference)
    • Input impedance: 47 k Ω unbalanced; 94 k Ω balanced
    • S/N ratio: 112 dB, input shorted, IHF A-weighted
    • Damping factor:> 1100 at 20 Hz

• Adjustable gain for up to +6db over THX Reference level
    • Unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR inputs
    • Circuitry designed by legendary John Curl
    • High bias class A/AB operation
    • Direct coupled (no capacitors or inductors in signal path)

• DC Servo and relay protection circuits
    • AC present, channel status, high temperature indicators
    • Heavy-duty 24k gold-plated 5-way speaker terminals
    • THX Ultra2 certified
    • Auto turn-on by 12v trigger or audio signal

• Dimensions: 17-1/2" w x 7-5/8" h x 20" d, 7" h without feet
    • Net weight: 65 lb. Shipping weight: 79 lb.

Reviews
    https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/power-amplifier/parasound-halo-a-31-three-channel-power-amplifier/
    https://hometheaterreview.com/parasound-a31-three-channel-power-amplifier/
    https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/629-parasound-halo-a-31-three-channel-power-amplifier

Unboxing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcDOxSLpgZE

What to look for in a Amplifier
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7coPBLvSk

BEAST!
    https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/is-this-enough-ventilation-space-for-a-parasound-a31.111914/
    wirterki2fnp.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    Options
    I asked Polk's Scott Orth for recommendations and after he consulted with the electronics engineers he replied:

"In general, the requirements for the mating amp/receiver are fairly simple:

1. Not balanced/bridged output. SDA requires this to function at it’s best. A balanced/bridged amp should play, but the dimensional arrays will only get half of the signal they need.
    2. Should be able to drive a 4 ohm load. This is most receivers/amps.

The speakers will benefit from higher power and higher quality amplification, just like any other speaker. I would recommend at least 50W and typically no more than about 300W. Of course, the user should exercise the usual caution: if things are distorting, turn it down, etc. You can use higher power, but be careful not to overdrive the speaker. Low output impedance/high damping factor is always a plus in my book.

From our stable of brands, there are several amps and receivers one could use to drive the L800:

Integrated amps:
    Marantz PM-KIRuby (200W into 4Ω)
    Marantz PM12SE (200W into 4Ω)
    Denon PMA A110 (160W into 4Ω)
    Marantz Model 30 (200W+200W into 4Ω)
    Marantz PM8006 (100W into 4Ω)

A/V receivers/separates:
    Marantz MM8077 (180W into 6Ω)
    Marantz MM7025 (170W into 6Ω)
    Marantz 8000 and 7000 series

Classe Delta Series

There are certainly plenty of amps from other manufacturers that will drive the L800 as has been pointed out in reviews."

I hope this is helpful information.
  • tjcinnamon
    Options
    Thank you all for the resposnes. I'm going to steer clear of the Marantz and Denon. Their support was great but I had bad luck with a Marantz AVR.

I have a support ticket in to Anthem to validate that the P2 and MCA 325 are not Fully-Differential-Output amps. Also, I asked if the P2 rack brackets can be removed. This P2 already looked like a hacksaw was taken to it! It's in rough shape...
  • TopperDude
    Options
    I asked Polk's Scott Orth for recommendations and after he consulted with the electronics engineers he replied:

"In general, the requirements for the mating amp/receiver are fairly simple:

1. Not balanced/bridged output. SDA requires this to function at it’s best. A balanced/bridged amp should play, but the dimensional arrays will only get half of the signal they need.
    2. Should be able to drive a 4 ohm load. This is most receivers/amps.

The speakers will benefit from higher power and higher quality amplification, just like any other speaker. I would recommend at least 50W and typically no more than about 300W. Of course, the user should exercise the usual caution: if things are distorting, turn it down, etc. You can use higher power, but be careful not to overdrive the speaker. Low output impedance/high damping factor is always a plus in my book.

From our stable of brands, there are several amps and receivers one could use to drive the L800:

Integrated amps:
    Marantz PM-KIRuby (200W into 4Ω)
    Marantz PM12SE (200W into 4Ω)
    Denon PMA A110 (160W into 4Ω)
    Marantz Model 30 (200W+200W into 4Ω)
    Marantz PM8006 (100W into 4Ω)

A/V receivers/separates:
    Marantz MM8077 (180W into 6Ω)
    Marantz MM7025 (170W into 6Ω)
    Marantz 8000 and 7000 series

Classe Delta Series

There are certainly plenty of amps from other manufacturers that will drive the L800 as has been pointed out in reviews."

I hope this is helpful information.

this is great! thanks for sharing.
  • TopperDude
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    TopperDude wrote: »

The Marantz PM-10 is a definite no-go, but the rest of their gear is ok to use with the L800.

I thought it applied to all the hypex-based amps like the KI Ruby and Model 30 but based on the other post of what Scott Orth mentioned, both of them should be fine.