Options
13»

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Round it is..

Is the 1.875 center to center on the holes? Also will .250 holes be ok or do you need them to be a different size?

Colors? I probably can come close to matching any color you would like.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited January 2012
    Options
    thejck wrote: »
    How do u pull the old drivers off if you used mortite. They are a pia.

I made a small prying bar from a 8-1/2" piece of coathanger wire. I flattened the prying end a little bit (reduced thickness about half) to make it easier to get under the rim hole.

I still use the pry bar with my Armacelled drivers. Of course, the Armacell does not cause as tight a fit as the Mortite, but the Amacelled drivers don't always fall right out after unscrewing.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited January 2012
    Options
    How do u pull the old drivers off if you used mortite. They are a pia.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I pulled the crossover and pushed from the back side then worked my way up.. I don't miss mortite at all..

Mortite has been in place over 2 years now and I've taken the speakers apart twice, never a single issue. Actually the Mortite stays in place on the back of the drivers. Not sure why you are having issues.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Is the 1.875 center to center on the holes?

Yes.
    Also will .250 holes be ok or do you need them to be a different size?

I had to take one of the screws out and match the plate hole to my drill bits. The holes are 3/16". With the large flathead screws I am using, 1/4" holes would work.
    Colors? I probably can come close to matching any color you would like.

Black.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Consider it done!!:smile:
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thanks. Send me a PM with cost and shipping.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited January 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Mortite has been in place over 2 years now and I've taken the speakers apart twice, never a single issue. Actually the Mortite stays in place on the back of the drivers. Not sure why you are having issues.

H9

One of my braces had come loose and i had to pull a driver to get to it. I struggled with the driver and ended up having to use a screw driver to pry on it which nicked the wood slightly and I am not too trilled about it. I ended up using a screw that was able to grip the screw hole on the basket and use that to pry. I am not sure what damage this has caused and I have had a really frustrating day cause of it.

When I installed the mortite I pushed it onto the basket and then screwed it onto the wood. When I pulled it off half of it was on the basket and the rest on the wood. I even had used poly urethane on the wood before I installed the mortite to prevent it sticking.
    I am using Larrys rings as well and maybe that is what is causing the sticking.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited January 2012
    Options
    going to try this in the morning.
    Isnt the Armacell only sticky on one side?
    You said you cut the tape at a 1/4 inch did you end up getting 4 strips from each section or was there some cutting waste.

I made a small prying bar from a 8-1/2" piece of coathanger wire. I flattened the prying end a little bit (reduced thickness about half) to make it easier to get under the rim hole.

I still use the pry bar with my Armacelled drivers. Of course, the Armacell does not cause as tight a fit as the Mortite, but the Amacelled drivers don't always fall right out after unscrewing.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Options
    going to try this in the morning. Isnt the Armacell only sticky on one side?

Yes, the Armacell is only sticky on one side, but some of my drivers have a snug fit which requires some extra effort to remove them. I made the small end of the prying bar 3/8 inch long.

One clarification: I call this a "pry bar", but I don't use a prying action where the flat end is inserted in a driver's rim hole and the bar is pressed downward to pry the rim up. The flat end is inserted in the rim hole 1/8" to 1/4" and the tool is pulled outward.
    You said you cut the tape at a 1/4 inch did you end up getting 4 strips from each section or was there some cutting waste.

I cut 1/2 inch strips. The Armacell is 2 inches wide, so this allowed four 1/2 inch strips per section:
    Marks 1/2" apart were made on the Amaflex's backing at regular intervals. Ink and pencil marks did not easily adhere to Armaflex's yellow wax paper backing, therefore a fine point ink pen was used to punch holes and then the pen and straight edge (24" drafting T-square and 48" carpenter's level) were used to scribe cutting guide lines.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Old thread, great info.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    11 years later, and still relevant. Enjoy reading Ray's findings.
    qwertycus wrote: »
    replacing the plastic brackets with something more substantial, maybe machined from aluminum or steel?

Looks like a job for SUPERLARRY! (aka Toolforlifefan):tongue:

Put me down for six in natural brushed aluminum.:biggrin::cool:

First time reading this post. So someone was pondering alloy faceplates back in the day.

And F1 didn't blow a fuse lol
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Anything Ray did is always going to be relevant when it comes to SDA's.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Absolutely relevant 11 years later.

I’m going thru this right now and, all that came before saved me from the headaches of trial and error….
    I thank you all.

Skip