A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,722
    Options
    Another closet tweaker. They creep here stealthily.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    Options
    VSAT, my 2nd set of Wuhan silks are broken in. Wonderful SQ improvement over non-drilled pole-pieces and bare silks. I doped them again using Vit. A oil.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Careful with the dope. Just saying, lol.... Tried any ferrofluid yet? I actually took the time to complete a very quick job tonight. A set of Tangent 400 xovers I wanted to put two new electrolytes in. 68uF for the woof section. Ordered the wrong parts. I did not get non polarized. Sad man. Had to put in another order and wasted the time I had..
  • xschop
    Options
    Oops. 68uf is a big size. What speaks you putting them in?

No ferrofluid in these. Both chambers are stuffed with lamb's wool.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    "Silence of the Lambs"
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Klipsch Tangent 400.
  • MrGeology
    Options
    This thread is awesome.
    "They’re not after me, they’re after you… I’m just standing in the way!” -Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Thanks from all. We gotta have something to do right?
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Anyone want these SL2500 guts? I lost the dang diaphragm. Just lmk where to ship it.

ekuqymtg1lsk.jpg
    khmx4krjbtl1.jpg
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • VSAT88
    Options
    1st time for everything.. 1st time I ever saw a 2500 torn down.
  • xschop
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Is it just the one?
  • lawdogg
    Options
    Yeah just one unfortunately.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• xschop
    Options
    Is the pole-piece drilled/hollowed out under the felt?
  • lawdogg
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Is the pole-piece drilled/hollowed out under the felt?

Yes, it has a bit of a cup cut into it. It tapers inward on a curve and is flat at the bottom.

wv91cjlvwhgz.jpg
    4a21lldm5pig.jpg
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Is there an airspace behind the plus sign shaped felt piece, due to that recess? If so, that would actually increase the sound absorption of the felt.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • lawdogg
    edited September 2022
    Options
    The felt "+" is convex, and the recess in the pole piece is concave, so yes there is a roughly spherical (call it spheroid) air space underneath the felt, truncated by a plane normal to the spheroid's radius at the bottom by the flat base of the pole piece recess.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

• xschop
    Options
    Those would be interesting to hear what a set of RD0194's vs a set of "wuhan" domes sound like, without having to change the crossover.
  • VSAT88
    edited September 2022
    Options
    honynuniyax9.jpg
    Another interesting note. I have found another source @xschop. A few things sent for you to review. May well be competition for Black Dragons. We shall see. Made in Taiwan too, not Red China...
  • xschop
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Well well, the yellow dragons landed today.
    Bold move posting that flag on the Club CCP, Grasshopper.
    Even Maverick cucked to them and removed it from his flight jacket lol.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    - Yellow Dragons?! Give us a link!
    - 2 of my tweeters on the 1C had flat, dense felt discs, and the magnets were roughly symmetrical.

ab8fgcyh2rmx.jpeg

- The other 2 had hard felt domes, and the magnets were waaaaay oblong to one third of the circle.

lveqzqyabb7u.jpeg

- I had to clip the plastic around the screw holes of the Wuhans so they could be mounted.

9016syefnk96.jpeg

- I decided to experiment with a printed diffuser with wool inserts, rather than just do something normal... but I might change the design so I can put the wool+wool plug in the center... Having fun playing with it =)

fhbipt5v3q52.jpeg
    rui4clfn34cc.jpeg
    nmfmvm6vogh6.jpeg
    aknrpglfsqzp.jpeg
    os8d1tixw9b9.jpeg

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Hot dang there is some kinda smooth manufacturing going on round here.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,624
    Options
    You do not want the felt touching the dome itself. The dome needs room to reasonate or it will sound muffled. FWIW
  • xschop
    Options
    Nice tinkering. If you don't like the sound, then try actual Lamb's wool. Just make sure your platform does not touch the back of the dome.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Same vertical dimensions as the original felt dome, but a little wider.

Printing a revision with an extra diffusion ring (and room for the lamb's-wool-filled dense wool ring in the middle), plus a hair smaller on the horizontal... Seems like a better design...

[waits 10 minutes for the print...]
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • xschop
    Options
    However you go about it, the idea is to best remove the backwave reflections from making back to the dome. Kinda like the @Gardenstater foam-frame mod for your tweets.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Gotta trim the felt just a little bit, but there is an even, symmetrical gap between the dome and the diffuser.

Will it work????

No idea, yet!

Wools courtesy xschop and VR3.
    xb46o8a1puu5.jpeg
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Well, it works =)

I know, not the right crossover, but wanted to see!

Damn YouTube and copyright trolls! Can't even share an unlisted link to a partial song for testing =[
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,199
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Taken a little further and you could have the first MAT (Metamaterial Absorption Technology) tweeter like KEF has done with their fullrange drivers. I don't know if miniaturizing if for a tweeter would work and it is unknown if having it so close to the dome would minimize the "absorption" you would get. Theirs must be further from the back of the cone but the wavelengths are smaller in a tweeter.

95rok1c86cga.jpg

https://international.kef.com/pages/metamaterial
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    OK it turns out that it is functional for the tweeter part of their driver (I think) and there is a fairly long tube leading through the magnet assembly to the labyrinth of 15 x 2 = 30 tubes at the back of the driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_US3Kml0Cg

jm4mohuv83ct.jpg

m8kdrxwtyfx1.jpg

c4y5mvqglaf5.jpg

xttmnzi87seh.jpg

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Wow o.O