New system is up and running!

As many of you know I have been working on rebuilding my system. While I attended Axpona a couple of months ago I was intrigued by the systems that were using upper end integrated amps to power them. And also had my eyes on new cables.

Well, that got me thinking. I was a bit bored with what I currently had and started to think it would be nice to trim some of the components out of the mix. I started researching integrated amps and cables. One of my concerns was the amount of power I had and how that would impact my system going to a much lower powered amp. I began to have discussions with our ol' pal DSKIP and he recommended that I give the Norma Revo IPA-140 a try. He was kind enough to lend me one for a week.

I was amazed by what I heard once installed. The speaker control, depth and width of the soundstage and micro-dynamics were on a complete different level than what I had. Within a couple of days I started to figure out how I could make a move from the McIntosh equipment over to the Norma and what else I should work into the mix.

DSKIP had already let me borrow a pair of AudioQuest Thunderbird speaker cables, to test with, prior to the Norma. I was considering adding them to the current system but had not made the decision to move forward.

I also started to think about how I would assemble all the new equipment. I was tired of my old rack and found some SolidSteel HY-3's that I really liked.

So, here is a list of everything in place. Still needs some fine touches to clean it up but it is all up and running. Now I have: Norma Revo IPA-140, Parasound Halo JC3, VPI Prime w/Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301ll cartridge, Marantz SA-14s1, Legacy Focus S/E's, pair of REL Carbons, AudioQuest Thunderbird speaker cables, AudioQuest Thunderbird RCA and AudioQuest Thunder power cable. I still have a couple of Pangea AC-14's in the system for power but the savings account has run dry for now. The wife has been very generous but she said enough is enough.

Here is the new setup:

in3fpzt436up.jpg

rdouyjwhmt11.jpg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Looking good!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Very nice!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Looks great!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Love the racks!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Looks much more open in there! Awesome to hear that everything worked out so nicely.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Nice looks great enjoy.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Looks fantastic!!!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Great looking setup that no doubt sounds even better than it looks.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Todd, your system is looking great!

If you can, try to get the subs up off the floor and put them at the lower mid driver level. It will help with the blending and room anomalies....plus, it will increase the aural pleasures of the soundstage. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Thanks everyone. Burn-in is underway. @erniejade said his Thunderbird RCA took a couple of hundred hours to settle down. I have my system running around the clock currently, unless someone is watching TV. So, I will take a good listen this weekend and see if I notice any changes.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    As of this evening I have slightly over 100 hours on the cables. Looking forward to giving it a good listen tonight. And will continue to let it play around the clock.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Ever tried the subwoofers outboard of the main speakers in that space? Looks like it may be around 12 feet wide?

I like everything about the system and room.
  • tratliff
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Ever tried the subwoofers outboard of the main speakers in that space? Looks like it may be around 12 feet wide?

I originally had the subs on the outside. They were a bit boomy in that configuration. I’m not really lacking in bass. They just firm up the bottom.

Since I’ve gotten the new equipment I have wanted to leave most everything alone for now. Once I get use to the new house sound I plan to test out a new configuration. Wanting to pull the mains more away from the rear wall.

Room is 16 x 18. Stereo is on 16.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,493
    Awesome!

There is a space on one of the racks so you are not done. :p
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    tratliff wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

I originally had the subs on the outside. They were a bit boomy in that configuration. I’m not really lacking in bass. They just firm up the bottom.

Since I’ve gotten the new equipment I have wanted to leave most everything alone for now. Once I get use to the new house sound I plan to test out a new configuration. Wanting to pull the mains more away from the rear wall.

Room is 16 x 18. Stereo is on 16.

Wow! Your listening room is as big as my house! :D Congratulations, that's a beautiful system!
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • tratliff
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Awesome!

There is a space on one of the racks so you are not done. :p

Correct. Not done just on hold for now.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Nice space. Wish my room was just a few feet wider than the 13' I have to work with.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    2 turntables? Just need a Mic to complete the package :D
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • tratliff
    billbillw wrote: »
    2 turntables? Just need a Mic to complete the package :D

I actually have 3 but only 2 in that room. Purpose is for not so great records on the left and great records on the right.
  • tratliff
    I wanted to give praise to Skip @ AudioThesis. The other night I was having some trouble with the system. I called Skip about 8:30pm, as always he answered. I explained my situation and he was at my house helping me resolve the issue by 9:30 and its not like I'm just around the corner from him. I would estimate that I live about 25 miles from his location. I couldn't have asked for better service. If you are looking for new equipment you owe it to yourself to check in with him.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I actually have 3 but only 2 in that room. Purpose is for not so great records on the left and great records on the right.

I did that for a while with two tables. One for quality and an SL1200 MKII for rocking out to beaten up LPs from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and the like. Take it to 11!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I wanted to give praise to Skip @ AudioThesis. The other night I was having some trouble with the system. I called Skip about 8:30pm, as always he answered. I explained my situation and he was at my house helping me resolve the issue by 9:30 and its not like I'm just around the corner from him. I would estimate that I live about 25 miles from his location. I couldn't have asked for better service. If you are looking for new equipment you owe it to yourself to check in with him.

What was the issue?
  • tratliff
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What was the issue?

It was related to grounding of the turntables.
  • tratliff
    Ah, ok. Hope it was a relatively easy fix. And that Skip showered before he came over.

Yes and yes.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    What was the issue?

It was related to grounding of the turntables.

Grounding can be a such nightmare. Now that it's fixed just never touch anything again, and only listen while your power is stable, and don't turn on any extra electronics... then you'll be good to go forever! :D
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Dang it, because of you I pulled the trigger on the Thunderbird Speaker cables to match my RCA's. They should be here in a week or so.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Ok it's not totally because of you but, I needed to blame somebody :) The Thunderbird vs the High Fidelity RCA's once the Tbird broke in, it was no contest. It was just more of everything. Now I want the same for my speaker cable.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tratliff
    edited August 2022
    You are in for a treat and will not be disappointed. My system is settling in nicely. I left the Lumin on for 4 days. I only turned it off last night because I wanted to listen to some new records. I opened the Analogue Productions Bluesey Burrell and gave it a spin. It sounded fantastic. Detail in the new system amazes me.

I'm going to get back to the digital side for a listening session soon.

Good luck with the new cables. Let us know what you think of them.